1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Disappointed about no auto headlights

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by lindajm22, May 15, 2011.

1. lindajm22

lindajm22 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I am absolutely loving my new Prius. I had been driving a Pacifica for the last 6 years and really thought I was going to miss it, but I don't at all. I got a bunch of nice options on my Prius so I really didn't have to give up anything. It didn't come with leather so I had that installed for me a few days after I picked it up last week. Now it is perfect. Except for no auto headlights. Once you have had them it is reeaallly hard to go back. I have already found myself forgetting to turn my lights on when it's gotten dark, and I keep forgetting to turn them off when I get out of the car.

I would love to have the skills to do the auto headlight/fog light mod install but that's not going to happen. Dealers won't/can't do this for you?

Is it possible to just leave my headlights in the on position all the time, having them auto off, and when I turn the car on again they will just come back on? Does anyone else do this? Is there some down side?

Auto wipers when the headlights go on would be great too, but I'm just not able to do this kind of stuff myself like some folks here.

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I turned the headlights on at the dealership and just never turned them off. (there is no scenario when I do not want to be seen by my fellow drivers) When I take it to have an oil change, I need to turn them on again as the mechanics always turn them off.

By default, on a Gen III like yours, the headlights turn off automatically 30 seconds after you open a front door with the ignition Off. If you prefer, the dealer can adjust that to 0 seconds or 60 seconds. (you may want to know they are off, or you may want light long enough to get to your front door)

In theory thare are two downsides, fractionally poorer gas mileage, and replacing bulbs more often.

3. tomlouie

tomlouie Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    One downside to leaving the headlights on all the time is that the internal dashlights are dimmed when the headlights are on. Depending on your brightness setting, then the internal dash could be too dim in the dayh, or too bright at night.

4. JGC61

JGC61 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I concur. I drive with the headlights on at all times and they go off automatically in about 30 seconds after powe is turned off.:D

5. JGC61

JGC61 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I concur. They headlights go off after approximaterly 30 seconds after power is turned off

6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Many of us do this. I carried this habit over from a previous auto-off car.

7. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Isn't there a hack that gives auto headlights that come on when dark as auto headlights should?

I understood it was to do with a wire connecting two cables or something. I'm sure I read that someone has done this - though I'm 100% sure it would invalidate your warranty.

8. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You'd have to somehow install a sensor to sense when its actually dark...

Its funny those little features that get left off. My Dad had a Cadillac in the mid 90s that when the wipers were turned on for 30 seconds, the headlights came on. I thought that was a great feature...but no car I've ever had since, even significantly costlier cars with more gizmos has had such a feature.

9. Relesom

Relesom Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Did you have the dealer install the leather seats?
    If so do you mind telling the charge for that?
    I'm also thinking aout leather in my car, but I'm not sure I can do it myself.

10. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    But the sensor is already there - it's the one on the dash that reduces the brightness of the display automatically.

11. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
  12. priustexasbob

priustexasbob Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I had auto headlight on my Pontiac and glad the Prius doens't have them. the sensor was really sensitive, like in the middle of a cloudless day if I was sitting in the shade of a building the head lights would come on then have to wait for the lights to come back on before I could see the speedometer. I ended up popping the thing out and unplugging it.

13. twonuts

twonuts 2016 Prius Four w/ Adv Tech Pckg & Prem.Conv Opts.

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My Chrysler 300C Heritage Edition has that feature. Actually it has rain sensing wipers and when the wipers come on, after about 15 seconds of wiper operation, the smartbeam headlights come on. It's a very nice feature for convenience.

I truly wish the Prius had more convenience features like that :(

Oh well.

TwoNuts

14. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not only is that feature smart, it's also safe and lawful; Here in CA, during rain it's illegal to drive with the wipers on and headlights off.

15. Much More Better

Much More Better Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I didn't know some Priuses don't have auto headlights. My V has them and the canadian website doesn't list auto headlight as a feature, whether on the standard car or as part of a package.

That said, I never use mine. Only at night do I use my lights and I can obviously tell if I forgot to shut them off. All Cdn cars have daytime running lights so they're on for rainy/foggy conditions.

16. lindajm22

lindajm22 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I had the car out all day today and kept the headlights on. It worked perfectly. They turned off after the 30-second time out and they turned on again when I restarted the car. What I did with the dash lights is I turned the dimmer wheel up all the way. When it gets dark out I'll just dim them again.

My Pacifica had this feature. The headlights came on automatically when the wipers were turned on, no matter how light it was outside. Great feature. I always want my headlights on when it's raining.

I had the leather seats installed last Friday, not dealer installed though. It was considered a We Owe by the dealer because we configured it into the cost of the vehicle, but the dealer didn't actually do the work. They said that Toyota doesn't put the leather in afterwards, but they made all the arrangements for a local company to come and get the car at the dealership and do all the work. They did such an amazing job, better than factory in my opinion. And the heat switches are better too. There are two heat settings for each seat. The total cost was $1,595. I KNEW I would regret not doing it and I love my new car so much more now. It just really changes the entire look and feel of the interior.

My display doesn't seem to change automatically. What do you mean? Not sure if I have a sensor like this already in my car. Where is the sensor located exactly so I could check?

Thanks for all the replies. Maybe I can find someone who can do this for me. Seems like the parts are easy enough to get. I would really love the auto headlights. After 6 years it's so hard to unlearn this habit of not having to think about headlights!

17. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It's not that hard to add auto headlight control to the Prius. Just install Rain Tracker like I did and you'll have rain sensing wipers and auto headlights. Best of all, when it detects rain, it also turns on the headlights too. Just look at my signature for the installation. Rain Tracker cost less than $100.

18. lindajm22

lindajm22 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Well I found the light sensor (or what appears to be). There is a little round black thing on the dash at the base of the windshield on the passenger side. I'm assuming that's it. Interesting.

I actually saw your post with the instructions and quite honestly, it scared me. I'm just not willing to start pulling apart my dash and wires as I have no clue what I'm doing. The instructions were incredibly detailed though. If I felt braver I might try it.

19. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    There are local variations in how the lights work, Grumpy Cabbie is in the UK and Much More Better is in Canada. The Prius electrics work differently there.

20. barcelona11

barcelona11 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I, too, miss the auto headlights (and daytime running lights) of my 2006 Avalon. I have a related question. I thought the Prius headlights would turn off after 30 seconds. Friday night, DH and I went out to dinner. We had been seated for several minutes. For some reason, I thought to look out the window, and noticed that the headlights were on! I assumed I had failed to lock the car, or that we had left one key fob in it, but it was locked and we had both the keys. So what did we do wrong that the lights stayed on several minutes??