1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Display Audio vs Premium HDD

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by JJBBTT, Jan 4, 2014.

1. JJBBTT

JJBBTT New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm looking for used 2010 to 2012 Prius models and would like one with touchscreen & backup camera. What's the difference between 2012 Prius III+ Display Audio w/camera & navigation and the 2010-2011 Premium HDD? Does Premium HDD have the hybrid synergy drive/mpg/trip computer functions or is it strictly a radio/nav unit?

Here's what I can figure out so far:
    Display Audio advantages: Entune, free lifetime traffic.
    Premium HDD advantages: Bigger screen, faster interface, CD changer.

Thanks.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome to priuschat! the big screen is sweet for gps, but i wouldn't pay for the package to get it.

3. JJBBTT

JJBBTT New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Thanks! I'm very excited to get the Prius, any day now. The price difference is very small, since Premium will be 2011, 1 year older. Anyway, thanks for the info.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Note that the 2010/2011 ones are DVD-based. It's only the 2012 model and newer that have the harddrive-based navigation (and slightly higher resolution on the 7" LCD). The DA 6.1" is flash-based and has a Garmin-esque feel. The 7" one has split-screen capability for navigation as well as split-screen for nav and audio (for example). It also has DVD-playback capability (only when parked). The CD Changer (4-disc) is only on the 2010/2011 models. I think it's a single disc on all audio units for 2012 and newer.

5. Zephyr7

Zephyr7 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    to add onto others input

Display Audio: Lifetime traffic only when U are using Entune. Traffic is obtain thru Inrix. Navigation engine.
    From here it looks like Navi Engine is from NNG and is developed by Harman.
    HARMAN Intros App Delivery Platform for Toyota Touch & Go
    Entune - Ipod needs to be connected to run Entune, Android users can use it wirelessly. If U want to use iphone or other phone wirelessly U have to connect it with PAN/DUN connection.
    If U are audiophile, pandora and iheart radio music streams are decoded on the Head Unit; maybe using less battery on your phone.

Premium HDD version: Traffic is obtain thru Sat. it has a bigger screen no glare issue unlike Display Audio. It also has Entune. Nav Engine from google looks like from Denso/Aisin.
    2010-2011 Gen 5 10.1 - North America - Page 4
    Entune - All done wirelessly. Music is played over BT A2DP meaning Entune App on phone download music get it decoded and re-encoded to send it over BT. More processing on the phone, multiple conversion on lossy format not sure the trade off; however since more work is done on phone it may use more battery.

ftl likes this.