1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Display problems - likely cause?

Discussion in 'Prius v Audio and Electronics' started by GregH, Mar 26, 2012.

1. GregH

GregH Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I bought a 2012 Prius V (3 weeks ago) and the multi-function display is now behaving erratically. Radio presets disappeared, radio frequency not displayed, Satellite radio unavailable, periodic blank screens when switching applications, backup camera stays on after shifting to Drive, a few others. My dealer thinks a software update might fix it (three-day wait for a flash drive!) or a bad connection, but I suspect a bad unit and want him to order one just in case. Has anyone seen these type of problems?

2. mega4m

mega4m New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three

We're having the exact same symptoms and bought within a week of the time you mention.
    Has your problem been resolved, and if so, how?

3. Nivonia

Nivonia Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
  4. bpprius2011

bpprius2011 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Same deal hear with 2011 29,000k just bought yesterday. Turn car off/on temp fixes. Will take to dealer and let you know. Heard it might have internal error code if checked -- not sure about that. Seems like fix is radio replacement.[​IMG]

5. mp402

mp402 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have a 2011 Prius that had the same problem. It appears to be a know problem with my service tech. When it happened I took a picture of the display and then drove to the dealership. It was still under warr. so no issue, they replaced the radio with a "reconditioned" radio. Found out it was not reconditioned when I went to attach my phone and someone else's phone and contacts were setup.

I call the prior owner of the radio, she programmed her home, to see why she returned it. Seems she is on her third radio, all had the same problem with the bad display. After speaking to the service manager, they were willing to replace the radio again given it was a repaired radio and not reconditioned. Decided to keep the one in the car, hopefully it was fixed correctly and i have another 3,000 miles under the warranty.

6. cdrom

cdrom Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    My 2012 Prius v MFD just started having similar problems as touch mode no longer works. The screen is locked until I either increase or decrease volume using steering wheel buttons. After changing volume then can change functions, such as going from audio to apps screen but screen will not respond to touch. Question, is there a rest button or steps to get the touch function back?

7. cdrom

cdrom Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Just a follow-up, if the touch screen capability stops try and run the edge of a business card around the inside edge. Doing so should clear out any residual crud which keeps screen locked down and prevents the touch screen from working. Got this simple solution from dealership and their navigation guru.

MontPriusv likes this.
  8. MontPriusv

MontPriusv Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you cdrom for this simple fix!! Just fixed my own non-responsive touch screen using a business card. Took it in to the dealer this morning and they had no idea how to fix it other than replacing the whole unit (which they were going to price out and call me back about). This is brilliant. Thanks for sharing.

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Wonder how much replacement of these things is gonna cost, once they're out of warranty. :mad:

10. blahblah_gc

blahblah_gc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I had the same problem for my 2010 Prius meaning the display is showing scrabble words
    , resolved it by unplug/plug back in the 12v battery. I had to replace the battery, it happened to resolve the issue once and for all.

11. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    How much do those promotional offers for 250 business cards cost?