1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

does EV and Hybrid mode run on same battery pack?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by hanshinji, Jun 13, 2014.

1. hanshinji

hanshinji New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i was always curious. does PIP have two different batteries for each mode (EV and Hybrid) or is it the same battery?

2. bilbo04096

bilbo04096 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It's the same battery, computer controlled and partitioned. Hopefully others will give you more in depth facts.

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    In the 2010 prototypes, it was multiple batteries. In the 2012 and newer production cars it is one.

(There is still a Fob battery, and a 12 volt 'starter' battery)

Will Stewart likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the computer simply tracks the state of charge and changes the ev estimate icon when it calculates that you have approx. one mile of ev left and then fires up the ice when you reach a lower state of charge showing zero ev. this takes place with a cold ice, or if warm, even lower like the regular hybrid. it is one battery made up of many cells.

5. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If any of them fail, you're dead in the water (unless you have a contingency plan).
    • For a dead fob battery, there's an RFID chip in it, which will activate the start button if you hold the fob up to it.
    • To open the door, one of the fobs has a key in it.
      • check first whether the keyless feature has been disabled in the setup menu. I found this out after replacing the fob battery, to no effect.
    • If the aux battery fails, there's no way to start the car until you boost the battery.
      • I carry a booster-pack for this purpose.
    • If the main hybrid battery fails, you have much bigger problems.

6. hanshinji

hanshinji New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    greg, that's nice information. i totally forgot about the key in the fob which the saleperson showed me.
    i don't quite follow about the first one. so if the fob battery goes dead, i can just hold it close to start button and trigger start button?

7. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yes! Touch and hold the fob on the ring next to start button as you push start button.(y)

8. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yes, exactly.
    And when the "smart-key" feature is turned off in the "car" menu of the "setup" screen, it behaves exactly like the fob has a dead battery. I don't know how I managed to do this with mine, except that perhaps somehow I accidentally hit the right sequence of keys to put it into a "valet mode."

9. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Turning off the smart key function was also an update to the PiP owner's manual, for a safety factor when someone with a pacemaker is in the car.

10. J2014

J2014 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    I know I've read this somewhere else, but they differ from post to post. Between the event and HV, when should we turn switch from ev to HV? Speeds greater than 42 or 60? If we left the ev on say going at 65, does the system still drain the battery? I dont think ev has enough juice going over 60 or does it?

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's called ev boost. the system kicks you out of ev around 62 mph, but uses the battery judiciously. it's very smart and efficient.