1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does Lexus CT200h MPG noticible worst compare to Prius ?

Discussion in 'Lexus Hybrids and EVs' started by kennyyuui, Jul 16, 2014.

1. kennyyuui

kennyyuui Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Im currently in the market for a new car and consider all options that are available to me. The CT200h is one of those option. So far the CT200h package look quite promising but loosing about 10 mpg vs the prius gen III on paper is quite a turn off for me especially when this car cost more than the prius

My question is for those that actually have the CT200h, in real world, does the mpg drop really noticible ???

2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    On Fuelly, the Prius averages a little below the EPA combined (beware plug ins added to the average). The CT does a little better. Some CT drivers get into the Prius range. Do you track the fuel economy of your current ride? Converting that number to a percent of EPA can be used to then estimate what a other model may return for you.

That said, the CT will do worse than the gen3, but give it a test drive. The comfort and ride improvement may be worth the lower fuel economy. Which isn't bad by the way. It is near the gen2 Prius ratings. Remember, the gen3 numbers are an outlier. The only other car that matches it is a smaller Prius. The others are closer to the CT.

3. drowssap

drowssap Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Funny that this thread was created as I was just considering a swap with a ct. I am very interested in input from others as well

4. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The bottom line is that the Prius is the perennial mpg champion. Some people may be able to get close to Prius EPA mpg with the CT but those same people would get close to 60 with a Prius. If you're looking for mpg, the Prius is king and it can be appointed pretty well but its ride will never match the CT. If ride quality and luxury is first on your list and mpg is a close second, then the CT is a great car. :)

Jeff N, LasVegasaurusRex and drowssap like this.
  5. drowssap

drowssap Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    best input I could have asked for! Thank you good sir!

6. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I owned and drove the CTh for about a year, and I also own the G2 Prius and the G3 Prius vagon.
    Fuel economy comparisons are hampered because the wheels and tyres are different, but a 10% penalty is ballpark.

I bought the CTh for ride comfort, since I was driving some 40k miles a year. The suspension is great and the steering feel more grounded than a Prius, but for whatever reason neither my wife or I found the seats any more comfortable than a standard Prius. We are the minority opinion I think.

I traded it in for a Prius vagon that suits us better.

7. tk1971

tk1971 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    I'm getting Prius-like MPG with my CT. About 48-50 mpg depending on A/C use. Check out my fuelly sig.

8. Raidin

Raidin Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I noticed a ~5 MPG difference with my cars. I drive a long ways every week day, and it's the same style every day. 75% highway, 60 MPH on highways, and 40-55 MPH on city streets, total round trip each day is about 355 miles.

In my C, I was getting ~60 MPG when doing 55 MPH on the highway. 60 MPH would get me closer to 52-55 MPG.

In my CT, if I drive 55 MPH on the highway portion, I get about 55 MPG, while 60 MPH on the highway portion nets me around 50 MPG.

The EPA rates then nearly 10 MPG apart, but I think they're closer to 5 apart.

9. MattNiem

MattNiem Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What do you think about the car otherwise? Is there anything you don't like in this facelifted version? I'm considering to buy one, currently driving Merc C-class (W204).

10. Raidin

Raidin Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I love the car. Sure, it has a few things I would change, but no car is perfect. It just doesn't have any major issues for me. It's quieter and more comfortable than my Prius C, sporty too. It gets close to the same mileage if you drive it economically, with a bigger gas tank. The interior is very nice, all the controls are simple and easy.

I do miss the info screens from the Prius C, you get very limited hybrid info in the CT. I also miss operating the Trip meters via the steering wheel, the CT uses the old fashioned push button on the gauge cluster.

The 2014 model (with the facelift) is much nicer than the previous version. I love the new look, and it was designed to be quieter and more comfortable than the last one.

11. MattNiem

MattNiem Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the reply. To be exact, what would you personally change then?

12. Raidin

Raidin Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    • I'd change the way the Trip meter is accessed and reset, to be like the Prius C, for one.
    • I'd add more information to the hybrid info screens, and probably update the entire infotainment system, since it seems a generation behind.
    • The auto-dimming outside mirrors only dim when the rear view mirror auto dims, I'd change that so they all dim independently.
    • Rain-sensing wipers are a bit too sensitive, sometimes your wipers just wipe once in a while for no reason on a clear day.
    • I have the LED headlight option, and they leave a gap in the middle of the light pattern, which is annoying, so I'd change that too.
    • The driver's side window switches are too far forward. Your hand easily falls to the rear windows, but you have to stretch a bit for the front ones.
    • In other markets, the little screen in the gauge cluster is a full color LCD display showing a summary version of each part of the system, but in the US you get a really basic black and white LCD display.
    That's all I can think of at the moment, other than simply more power without sacrificing fuel economy...do not know if that could be done with current technology.

avusblue likes this.
  13. MattNiem

MattNiem Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay. That cap with led headlights is interesting, beam patterns seem normal for pre-facelift model. Dashed line is the led for CT.

13508639.jpg

14. Raidin

Raidin Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  15. MattNiem

MattNiem Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That doesn't look very good. Did you ask dealer to check lamp alignment? I'll get back to this when/if I get the car.

16. Raidin

Raidin Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As you can see from these 2 pictures, it's because of the way Toyota designed the LED lenses. Together, they create a break in the pattern at the center, which looks awkward on the road, and hides part of the lane to your left.

[​IMG][​IMG]

A Lexus diagnostician suggested that he could raise the alignment a bit to shoot the light further down the road, because the standard alignment is already well within tolerance for US regulations. The service director at the dealer told me that every car he's seen with LED lights, which usually comes with auto-leveling headlights (as CTs do when they have LEDs from the factory), will ignore any adjustments to the alignment and auto-level themselves the next time the car starts up. This is exactly what happened for me, the car disregarded the adjustments I had them make and now the headlights are back to factory standard. I have to live with it I guess.

17. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    They actually look like they are supposed to. Like the BMW diagram here.
    The low beams on most cars shine less into the oncoming lane to not blind the other driver. HIDs and apparrantly LEDs have less fuzziness to their outlines than halogens. This sharpness makes the intended lit area my obvious to the driver.

18. stormchaser

stormchaser Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Bit of thread resurrection here.
    I've got a CT200h SE L Premier 2011. Fuel economy is excellent. This is my recent Fuelly readout.
    Image1463538788.100004.jpg
    Very pleased with this.

iPhone ?

19. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, that's actually not bad.(It's 4.9L/100km or 48 US mpg for anyone not wanting to do the calculation).

alanclarkeau likes this.
  20. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    we have been getting 45-46mpg with ours under normal conditions. About 10mpg less vs the Prius. It's never under 43