1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does Prius Fit Among Americans Thirst For V6, V8 Acceleration?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by cycledrum, Mar 30, 2012.

1. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The Prius can overtake any car on the highway, etc, as long as the other guy isn't actually racing you. I've done it a dozen times. It just doesn't sound very pretty.

2. sooperedd

sooperedd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I agree. PWR mode can give you that short quick boost for passing, merging, etc.

I use it when I need to; that's what its for.

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I don't mind flooring my Prius, if necessary, but there have been a few times where extra power would've been nice. Example: there was a merge in the middle of an on-ramp, and I floored it to get ahead but it seems like the other guy was "racing" me. I had to back off to avoid a collision since my Prius' acceleration was insufficient. If I were driving my Z, I'd have dusted him.

There are times where I know there are certain things I can do w/my former Z w/no problem that I don't even bother w/in my Prius, due to insufficient acceleration.

The biggest difference to me (from previously owning an 255 hp 02 Maxima and 287 hp 04 350Z) is definitely accelerating at highway speeds. Good 6 and 8-cylinder engines in non-sports cars have MUCH better NVH characteristics than a 4 banger. My Maxima's acceleration on the highway felt virtually effortless (due to NVH) besides the acceleration itself. As some reviews stated at the the time, the 3.5L V6 accelerates w/a sense of urgency.

I kinda do wish we'd see some hybrids w/smaller, more efficient V6 or inline 6 engines so that we can get decent FE while also being good from a NVH POV. Seriously, all 4 bangers I've encountered suck in the NVH dept. vs. a good 6 or 8 cylinder.