1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does the "hybrid control computer" go by another name?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by 16 yrs & counting, Apr 21, 2024.

1. 16 yrs & counting

16 yrs & counting Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I see no mention of a "hybrid control computer" in this forum, but mechanic says I probably have to replace mine.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    In gen 1 (2001–2003) it was called the HV ECU.

In gen 2 (2004–2009) it was called the HV control ECU.

In gen 3 (2010–2015), just to mess people up, they started calling it the power management control ECU.

The bigger question is: why does mechanic think it needs to be replaced?

Brian1954 and PriusCamper like this.
  3. 16 yrs & counting

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not sure. He said I should replace the hybrid battery first, and then I'll know if the computer needs replacing, if the gearshift indicator starts blinking.

I asked Chat GPT and got this response:

Me
    Mechanic said I need to replace the "hybrid control computer" on my Prius, but when I googled it I didn't find anything. Does it go by another name?

ChatGPT
    The term "hybrid control computer" might not be the official name for the component in your Prius. It's possible that your mechanic is referring to the hybrid control module (HCM) or the hybrid vehicle control unit (HVCU), which are crucial parts of the hybrid system in a Toyota Prius. These components manage the interaction between the gasoline engine, electric motor, and battery to optimize fuel efficiency and performance.

4. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Since they can drive the car it is highly unlikely you need a new ecu. You need an independent hybrid mechanic

5. 16 yrs & counting

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is there just one computer? What about these computers that Chat is referring to? Although Chat has been known to hallucinate.

6. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    No there are around 20 and they rarely fail. Again, if it drives they are ok. Even the dealer mechanic said wait and see.

7. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hi 16,

Google 89890-47092
    This is the most recent revision of the Gen 2 ecu used in the HV battery. They're widely available on ebay at much more reasonable prices. You just need to ensure there isn't corrosion on the ecu socket pins.

There have been several versions, but each can be used in place of another.
    The first 5 digits are always the same, then you have

I think that's the list, but I may be missing one or two older ones. Maybe a 47050 and 47060 version. It's been a while since I looked at my stash of ecus.

8. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Here's one in WV thats a 091 model and would likely work perfect in your car. The pins look great.

04-09 TOYOTA PRIUS Hybrid Battery Control Module Computer ECU ECM 89890-47091 | eBay

There's probably a 50/50 chance whether replacement is warranted or not. Sometimes a car works fine, but when the battery is disassembled, significant corrosion is found in the socket and it's just not worth the risk to re-use that computer. even a new OEM battery from Toyota does NOT come with the ecu, relays or other components located in the electronics section of the battery assembly. Those components are removed from the original and attached to the new module pack.

9. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    After reading through your thread, I think your mechanic means the battery ECU which sits in the compartment alongside the battery modules. This is the same part to which TMR-JWAP is referring. These only need replacing if some of the pins in the orange connector have corroded, they very seldom fail otherwise.

upload_2024-4-22_18-58-45.png

10. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Those pins in that orange receptacle have to look pretty crappy and generally they can be cleaned with real contact cleaner but you have to do it fast and carefully because real good contact cleaner is not happy with most cheap orange plastic I hold it so the socket is aimed towards the ground spray it off run my small little straight brush which is some kind of gold medal and gently brush off the corrosions open the case and get behind on the bars that go from the board to the pins which everyone doesn't do clean those off and then that old raggedy computer will work again for another 10 12 years moisture and nonsense gets back there in places especially in the southeast the car becomes a terrarium all summer everyone locks the car up parks and direct sunlight in the rain for five times and sometimes a day in the far south the next thing you know you have humidity and water in your trunk area You can see it most of these cars if you look and then you're off and running And if you're in down here in the southeast in Virginia Georgia Florida any of that you should be able to drive by people's yards and see broke down Prius just waiting for you to stop and ask about whatever it is you want.

11. 16 yrs & counting

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for all the responses; there is obviously a lot of knowledge on this forum. I found a computer so that's not an issue anymore.

12. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Glad you found one.

To keep things clear for other readers who might find this thread:

The "hybrid control computer" (HV ECU, HV control ECU, or power management control ECU) is not inside the battery. It is in the dash (most generations; in gen 1 it is under the carpet at the passenger's feet).

The different ECU found inside the battery, and mentioned in posts #7, #8, #9, and #10 is the battery ECU (in gen 1 and 2; in gen 3 it's not even a full-fledged ECU anymore, just a battery sensor unit).

ChatGPT is a large language model that has been fed huge volumes of stuff found on the internet and has the ability to write new stuff resembling the stuff it's been fed. It hasn't got the first idea what ECUs are in a Prius. The best it could ever do is write you some "answer" that resembles a bunch of other stuff written on the internet about ECUs in a Prius, whether that stuff was right or wrong.

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    kind of like me, i missed my calling

jeff652 and Mendel Leisk like this.
  14. 16 yrs & counting

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for the picture! I still don't know where the computer goes, but I do have the part #: 8998147350

15. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That is a 2004-05 Hybrid Control ECU for the entire car and is located under the dash. It's extremely rare for them to fail, but not impossible. Typically, if they fail, the car becomes a steel brick.

16. 16 yrs & counting

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just drove it home from the dealership without issue. Not sure what I just paid $175 for if they can't diagnose it correctly.

The paperwork says I need a "hybrid control ECU."

#16 16 yrs & counting, Apr 22, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2024
  17. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I would love to believe that Toyota Dealers are infallible.

I don't believe a U0293 always means the Hybrid Control ecu must be replaced. I believe it can also be triggered if the battery ecu, skid control ecu or engine computer lose communication with the Hybrid Control ecu.

Did they actually replace it? If so, was the car running prior to replacement?

18. 16 yrs & counting

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep, the code was U0293, but they didn't replace anything. It was towed there, but I miraculously was able to drive it home.

How do I figure out which of those parts has lost communication with the Hybrid Control ECU? Is it in the codes? They told me that for their diagnostic fee of $175 I'd get all the codes. I can call and ask for them if it will indicate which part needs to be replaced. The only codes in the paperwork are U0293 and U0A80.

Carall is coming here Weds from 2 hour away and I want to make sure he brings the right part.

If I could figure out how to insert an image I'd show one that makes clear how important the Hybrid Control ecu is.

#18 16 yrs & counting, Apr 22, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2024
  19. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The good news is that the battery he is bringing to you was already installed in a gen2 and from the video, is COMPLETE. It already has the ecu and wiring and merely needs to be swapped with the battery currently in your car. I would give it a 99% chance that this cures your problems. I wouldn't worry much about the U0293 unless it shows up again after the battery replacement. The "U"0A80 was likely a "P"0A80 (Replace Hybrid Battery). I think you're in good hands.

16 yrs & counting likes this.
  20. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    This post is the first mention of U0293 in the whole thread.

Was the OP just thinking "U0293" so hard that your telepathy was able to pick it up?