Welcome to PriusChat

We'd love to have you join our community and participate in the conversation! Sign up for FREE today.

Does the shark fin antenna work better??

Discussion in 'Gen II Prius Technical Discussion' started by WWJD08, Mar 23, 2009.

Social Buttons

1. WWJD08

WWJD08 New Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2008 Prius
    :cool:Other than the look of the shark fin, does it get great reception or bad reception.:eek:.
  2. priusunlimited

priusunlimited New Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2009 Prius

I'd say I get equal reception in my Prius as I do in anything else... Dont know if this helped........... it doesnt suxk tho.
  3. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Your Vehicle Year:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In fringe areas the reception is worse with the shark fin.
  4. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Your Vehicle Year:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd say about the same. That's my experience anyway.
  5. Rxmxsh

Rxmxsh Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd say slightly worse.
  6. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Your Vehicle Year:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    It all depends where you are in relation to the transmitting antenna and how much Effective Radiated Power they are putting. If you a city driver, listening to a station in the city, the shark fin should work fine. However, if you drive say 50, 75 miles outside of the city, you may get marginal results. There are at least 3 variables in play here.

The basic rule of thumb, the more signal you want to get into the radio, the more metal you have to stick up. I.E. the Antenna!

Ya Gets Whats yaz paysfor!!
  7. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2006 Prius
    I can honestly say that my Prius with the 'fin gets better AM reception than both of our Subarus with stock whip antennae. I can see no diff in FM, good or bad. All things considered, in the LA area where I live it works as good or better than the stock whip. There is a mountain pass where I live where I lose the signal on FM, but both the other cars do too. I bought it to have an easier time using a car cover, and because it looks cool, too. For me its all good, your reception may vary. To test it, temporarily install it with masking or duct tape, and take a drive. If you don't like it, return or Ebay it :).
  8. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Your Vehicle Year:
    2007 Prius
    Definitely worse. If you are in an area with good reception it won't matter.
  9. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Your Vehicle Year:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I do a lot of open road driving and in Australia radio cover isn't complete but I find my shark fin as good as the stock antenna on the work Holden, a car designed from the ground up for Australia.
  10. PA Prius

PA Prius Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2004 Prius
    Worse than the original.

PA P