1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does this Prius have problems, or is it okay?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Preeeus, Aug 14, 2014.

1. Preeeus

Preeeus Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hi everyone. Our first post!

We are considering buying a used Prius, solely because we need to reduce our gasoline expenses. We are seriously considering a specific one. Our budget is very tight, and we cannot afford to make a mistake.

We have never owned a Prius, but have test driven a few used ones.

The vehicle we are considering is a 2010 Prius (standard size). It has the IV package (nav, backup camera). It has solar panels and a sunroof. We will check carfax for any big problems. Price is blue book. It has about 115,000 miles, which is quite high. :eek: We can't afford a Gen III with low miles.

We have two concerns about it. The first is that the car's mileage screen ("Trip Past Record") says the best trip was 44.7mpg (with trip lengths from 1500 - 9999 miles). Another screen showed the car attained 43.8mpg over the last 9999 miles. From what we have read, the mileage reported by the onboard Toyota computers are 2-8% over reality. If that's true, that puts it closer to 42-43mpg.

Those mpg figures seem very low compared to what others get and what the EPA estimates, and we wonder if there is a problem with this particular Prius. Given that everything basically works, such a problem could be nearly impossible to diagnose and fix, even under warranty. The owner states she bought it new and uses it to drive across her large territory. She says she always keeps it in Eco mode and drives 55-65mph. Her territory consists of a hot moderately dry climate and she drives with the air conditioner on.

The other issue is that when pressing the gas pedal from a stop (or low speeds), nothing happens for the first inch to inch and a half of pedal depression. After the "dead spot" or "lag", it works just fine. We came out of a parking lot, with oncoming traffic, and felt like we were going to get hit. Our experience was that we had to press the gas pedal at least 1/3 down to get any response. We experienced this in Normal and Eco mode, but less in Power mode. We know that these cars aren't too zippy from a standstill (which is surprising given the instant torque of the electrical motor), but it seemed like the first 1-1.5" of accelerator pedal depression had no effect. We don't recall experiencing this on the other Priuses that we test drove, but are not sure.

What do you all think? Is it a dud, or no problem to buy?

2. matt b.

matt b. Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Dud..keep looking..try to find something in the 40 to 50 thousand range is good 115k are too many miles you could run into battery issues so if I were you I'd keep looking you will find a deal.
    Good luck

3. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If your budget is that tight and you "can't afford to make a mistake" then you need to be leaning more towards a base model---with service records.
    The G3 is a remarkably reliable car but there are some service items that are due at or before 120,000 miles which you're going to have to make sure are addressed. (plugs, transaxle flush, etc...)
    I don't see anything that you've described that's a deal killer in the IV that you're looking at. Make the owner pay for or provide a Carfax record and tell her that if the report is clean that you'll pay for it.
    Also the maintenance records are available on-line, IIRC.
    If the owner had the car serviced at the dealer, check the oil, and ask pointed questions about whether or not the car is using oil.
    Frequently people in cars with a 10,000 mile oil change periodicity don't check their volume and thus they don't find out that their car has a drinking problem until the oil light flickers at them.
    On the interstate, it's not uncommon for a G3 to get 42-43mpg unless you're driving below PSL...and hopefully in the right lane....which in the US is usually in the RIGHT lane.

The difference between trade-in value and retail value is usually about 3K.
    I'd split that difference with the seller, and she's still better off selling to you than she is trading in....besides.....up-optioned cars are:
    "Buying yesterday's technology at tomorrow's prices...."

You don't have to make the same mistake. ;)

xpcman likes this.
  4. tv4fish

tv4fish Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm going to agree with Matt ^^ The mileage on the car, the low mpg, the poor acceleration AND still wanting Blue Book price - ALL would make me keep looking.

5. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The only financial reason to pay the 'Hybrid tax' is to lower your bills when driving, so all hybrids tend to have high mileage. Sitting in my garage, my Prius is not more economical than a Hummer. But every mile is cheaper.

If the previous owner is a rural mail carrier, that is fantastic mileage, a paper route or pizza delivery, it is pretty good mileage. The more important issue is what mileage does it give you? I would ask for a 100 mile test drive and drive it like you intend to drive it in the future.

Take it out of ECO mode and see if the dead spot goes away, the whole point of ECO mode is to lower the sensitivity of the throttle in early travel.

HaroldW likes this.
  6. kbeck

kbeck Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I happen to have a 2010 Level III which runs the same drivetrain and such. (No funny wheels - the V level, I think, has different wheels that purport to give better handling, but have worse gas mileage.) It's got about 75K miles on it. The only major repair, if one can call it that, was a 12V aux battery. No brake job yet and it doesn't need one.

No computer screen on mine, but the multifunction display does show trip gas mileages and the like. I tend to reset the "A" trip once per tank of gas and the "B" trip every morning.

My daily commute lasts about 40 minutes each way; depending upon traffic and which way I go, it's all stop-and-go up to 40 mph or it's freeway and up to 70 (but sometimes slower).

Winter (and this is New Jersey, we do get snow and temps in the 20's) I get somewhere between 42-45 mpg indicated on a tank. In the summer, running the same trips, it's 50-55. No, I don't hypermile, but I don't jack-rabbit, either. I will floor it when conditions are called for, but not otherwise. Indicated gas mileage is some 5%-10% better than actual, so, if I manage to get 55 mpg on a tank, that's 50 mpg for real. I manage that on a tank during the summer once or twice a year and never during the winter.

So, having said that: In the Great Northeast, going between cities, one can do 65-70 pretty steady and, when doing that, a little over 50 mpg (indicated) is going to be one's lot, if it's summer, with the A/C on. However, the Great Northeast is definitely congested, compared to the Great West. And, the dozen or so times I've been out in Arizona, the speed limits actually observed tend to be north of 75 mph. There's no question that the Prius, like any gas-powered car, gets worse gas mileage the faster it goes, so if the original owner was piling along at 75, then 42-45 would be expected.

Finally: Jackrabbit starts and stops do impact the Prius. So if this original owner had a lead foot, then lower gas mileage would be expected there, too.

Now, if the original owner swears up and down that they're a really cautious driver who never goes above 65 and is always easy on the acceleration, then don't buy that car. On the other hand, if the driver's like all the other maniacs I've seen on I-10, then the mileage doesn't look completely out of line.

Fine with the gas mileage. On to the gas pedal.
    I've got a 2010. There's no "free wiggle room" on the gas pedal. If the pedal's depressed and the car's in Power mode, it's a rather sprightly ride.

We happen to know around here that the gas pedal does not have a cable connected to it. Rather, there's a pair of Hall-effect sensors (a pair so there's redundancy and error detection) whose outputs go straight into the box that electronically controls the drive train.

Now, there's been discussion about the level of software error detection built into Priuses and other Toyotas. But I'll give this a wild swing and state that there's two possible reasons Things Don't Look Good down there:
    1. The Hall Effect sensor box has come loose somehow and rotates with the gas pedal for the first X number of degrees. Fixable by tightening a screw, maybe. But if it's doing that, putting one's head below the dash and wiggling the gas pedal back and forth with the car off should yield a visible indication of fault.
    2. The Hall Effect sensors, some of the wires to said sensor, or something in the engine controller is busted. A WAG says that if that's the case, the engine controller would throw error codes left and right and would be very, very cautious about moving the car. Which would fit with the rest of your description.
    In either of the above two cases, especially if there's error codes, a competent mechanic shouse be able to find the problem. A wiring harness/Hall effect problem isn't likely to be too expensive, but anything involving replacing the engine controller would be. And, of course, there's always the possibility that some connector has backed out and become loose, in which case just shoving it back in again would clear the problem.

Good luck!

KBeck.

7. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'm with kbeck on this one. Get the sloppy pedal diagnosed & fixed. The tires were replaced & what's on the car is either the 2nd or 3rd set. Are they Low Rolling Resistance? Without details there is no framework to determine if the displayed fuel economy is "good" or "reasonable".

A IV-Solar is at the top of the line. Since money is an issue perhaps a II or III would make more sense.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what are you driving now and how many miles per year? trading for a prius won't necessarily save you money.

9. 04priusnow

04priusnow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I bought my 2010 with 90k in the clock. It had all of the service records and a new set of rubber. I performed the trans axel flush and coolant flush. Also 12volt battery was low so replaced that along with new brake pads. When i bought ut trip B had not been cleared and it showed 9999 miles and average 49mpg. In the last 20k miles that i have put on it i usually get 52mpg with 50/50 Highway and city driving... They are great vehicles but mine did not have a pedal issue and had way better mpg recorded then what you are looking for... By the way what are they asking for the one your looking at? Cod always make you a deal on mine ;-)

10. Preeeus

Preeeus Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks for all the replies and help! What a great community!:)

It's hard to figure out what to do. The seller has all the service records from the Toyota dealership she uses. The tires are fairly new (we don't know what kind they are). There's also an extended warranty that's good until 125K (another 11-12K). She's asking $12,500. There are very few IIs and IIIs we could get for that, and most of them are high mileage, too. And we really like the sunroof and solar, plus the other perks of a IV. But we're worried we might get ourselves into trouble with this one and end up with major repair costs. If the seller is really driving gently in ECO mode, it doesn't make sense to us that it gets 44.7 mpg at the very best (which means other trips were less, if we understand the screen correctly). But we have an SUV currently, so it's still a huge improvement. We're just worried there's something mechanically wrong.

Here are the screen shots she sent us. Are we interpreting them correctly?
    IMAG0226.jpg IMAG0225.jpg

#10 Preeeus, Aug 14, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    find out what kind of tyres, you need low rolling resistance (LRR) to get 50 mpg's. it might also need a 12 volt battery, which can be another reason for low mpg's. if you're in hilly terrain, that can be a reason. if the owners commute is all city stop n go, that can be a reason. if it's all high speed highway, that can be a reason. plenty of people here get low 40's with perfectly good cars.

12. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Or a non-hybrid vehicle that gets good mileage.....like a Corolla maybe.
    You should NOT buy a vehicle that you can't really afford.
    That includes potential repair costs as well and the initial outlay.

LISTEN to that little voice that is telling you this is NOT a good choice for you.

13. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    "Driving across her large territory" could mean a lot of things and might explain the seemingly low mpg. However, I agree with others. If your budget is tight, then I don't think a vehicle that is for sure coming up on some needed scheduled maintenance is for you. The trouble is we don't have a lot of info to go on. Questions that come to mind:
    -- How many miles do you typically drive per year?
    -- What mpg does your SUV get?
    -- How old is the SUV?
    -- Do you need to replace the SUV because of mechanical problems, etc.?
    -- Do you have the $12,500 or is that what you can afford to finance?
    -- Are you trying to save money just to pay monthly bills? (Probably too personal, but a question that comes to mind just the same.)

If you drive 12,000 miles/yr and the SUV gets 20 mpg, it costs $2,100/yr at $3.50/gal.
    If the Prius gets 45 mpg, it would cost $933/yr, a savings near $100/mo.
    So, it would take over 10 years to recoup the cost of the Prius.
    If the SUV gets fewer mpg, say 15, then its cost goes up (to $2,800) and the time to recoup comes down (to over 6 yrs), but it's still quite a long time.
    My point is that if you don't "need" the savings to pay monthly bills, then it might be possible for you to afford a newer vehicle with fewer miles and better mpg by financing the difference between the purchase price and a $12,500 down payment. Based on what you've told us though, I'd be very hesitant to buy the Prius in question, especially without knowing more.

14. Preeeus

Preeeus Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thank you for the continuing responses and discussion. It means a lot to us. :)

We added some pictures of the display output to one of our posts above.

In regards to the financial side of it, we've created a budget and run the numbers, and it makes good sense for us if we can get it for $11K, given the very high mileage on the car. Not sure if the seller will do that.

Our SUV, which runs great, gets 12-14 in the city, and 20 on the highway. We do a lot of city driving. We currently drive about 6-8K miles/year. We find we don't go on trips when we want because even a short trip is at least $20 in gas. We are hoping the Prius will give us a sense of more freedom to explore.

We would like to steer this thread in the direction of whether the relatively low MPG (especially since it was always driven in ECO mode) and the throttle not responding until pressed about 1-1.5" (when stopped or going slowly) are indicative of potential problems that would require a pass on this particular vehicle.

We value everyone's opinion and ideas, and are reading all your posts with great appreciation. (y)

15. energyandair

energyandair Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    When we bought our Prius in 2009, we had similar miles pa to you and we had retirement about 2 years away. Some factors were:
    • We found ourselves avoiding trips because of the gas consumption of traditional vehicles. (like you)
    • We expected to be wanting to do more road trips after retirement.
    • We liked the protection the Prius would provide provided if gas prices rose.
    • With interest rates so low, it seemed a good idea to put some money into car that would clearly save money down through the years.
    • It seemed more likely than any other car to be something that we would be happy to drive for the rest of our driving lives.
    It appears to me that notwithstanding advice you may get that your miles pa is too low for a Prius make sense, it may make good sense for you just as it has for us. The question then is does this particular Prius make sense.

Regarding MPG:
    I would not worry too much about the past MPG by itself. It is in the normal range and MPG seems to depend more upon the nature of the driving (hills stops, speed, traffic, trip length) and the driving style of the driver rather than whether they are in Eco, Normal or Power mode.

I would be concerned if I found out that the owner had only been getting that mpg doing long trips at moderate temperatures and moderate speeds with few stops and coasting to stop.

Throttle response:
    The throttle response you describe does not sound normal but this depends on what you mean by responding.

Our car starts moving as soon as you press the throttle regardless of mode. That is not to say that the engine necessarily starts immediately or that it needs to. I believe that this is normal for a Prius and it certainly works well.

If the car does not start moving until you have pressed the throttle 1-1.5" then something is wrong. This may well be minor but it also may not be. If the car was a great match for my needs and a great deal, I would look further. If it became clear that fixing it would probably be cheap and the deal would still be OK if the fix turned out to be expensive, then I would go ahead. If not I would keep looking

16. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I that case, no more questions about the budget. :)

That said, I just ran to the store for some bread and paid particular attention to acceleration. My Prius moves ever so slowly as soon as I take my foot off the brake, but that could have been the road. It then moves more as I press the pedal, but still very slowly as I press very slowly. It doesn't really start to respond like a normal accelerator until pressed further and that probably does "feel" like 1"-1.5". However, if I press quicker, it responds quicker, though still not like you'd be used to with your SUV. I think some of this "feeling" is because of the CVT transmission vs the standard automatics used in the Hyundai Sonata Blue and others. As expected, ECO mode makes it respond even slower and PWR mode quicker. If you step on it like normal, there can be a "lag" feeling until both engines click in.

So, based on your description and my observation, I think it's normal and just something you're not used to. To be sure though, I advise doing another test drive to make sure it's just a difference you're not used to. Here's what I would do:
    Take it out of ECO mode.
    Take your foot off the brake and see if it moves at all.
    Then press down on the accelerator just a bit to see if it moves.
    Press more and see if it moves more as you press further.
    Then stop, put it in PWR mode and repeat the test pressing quicker.

When I bought mine, I knew it would "seem" sluggish, especially until I got used to it, but I don't notice a lack of "any response at all" until the pedal is pressed 1"-1.5".

Anyway, not sure what to say about the mileage. I still don't think we know enough about the terrain and what "drives across her territory" means. Based on how I drive and how I purposely drove the Prius we rented in 2010 to see what the minimum mpg might be, I think the mpg displayed is low, by 3-5 mpg. I got 46.5 mpg (measured) over 1,100 miles all over Arizona; 85% 60-80 mph on highways/freeways, 10% 25-35 mph on gravel forest roads and 5% 25-45 mph city. I think I actually got a little better because I topped off the tank before we took it back, so I probably added 1-2 gallons more than was in it from the start. My first fill-up with our 2014 showed 46.0 mpg on the display, but the actual miles/gallons pumped came out to 53.6 mpg. I should be able to figure out which is more accurate when I do my second fill-up next week at the same station.

There may be nothing at all wrong with the mpg, but I don't know how you're going to figure that out without doing a much longer test drive, preferably with a full tank and a reset trip meter. You can get some idea by just driving around for a half hour or so and then noting what the display shows when you turn the car off. When you turn the car off, the display shows data from the time it was turned on until it was turned off. To get the best possible result, I would drive for 5 to 10 minutes to make sure everything is properly warmed up, then turn it off to clear the data. Then start it up and drive around for 30 minutes of so the way you would if it were your car. Now when you turn it off, the display should show you the mpg for the duration of that trip.

Now, if the mpg is accurate, that's not necessarily anything to worry about as far as something breaking. If the pedal responds as I described, I think that's also okay. If you then decided to go for it, use the fact that it is coming up on the 125,000 mile maintenance to get the purchase price down. You can even call a dealer to see how much the maintenance would cost. If all that works, then enjoy your Prius and the extra travel it will let you afford. :) Just remember that it does have a lot of miles and there is no guarantee that something bad won't come up.

17. Preeeus

Preeeus Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks! Also thanks for noting that we forgot to include info on her territory to help people provide feedback. From what we can tell, her territory is fairly flat, no mountains. Temps ranging 60-110F, often 80-105F. Probably lots of A/C use. Low to average humidity. Many 1-3 hour trips likely (each way). No cross country travel, as far as we know. She put almost 30K miles/year on the Prius.

18. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I don't think the two things your worried about have anything to do with a bad or broken car. They would not be linked to thew car having problems. But it you buy it and drive 100k more miles trouble free I would be right. If you buy it and it has a major breakdown you will link that back to the two things your worried about.

19. Preeeus

Preeeus Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    We forgot to mention that when we were done test driving the car, the battery was down to 1-2 bars. It surprised us because we thought driving would recharge it. Is that normal?

The test drive consisted of (in this order) about 6 minutes on hilly 30mph road (with stoplights), 5 minutes of 65mph freeway driving, 7 minutes city streets (with stops), 10 minutes hilly 30mph road (with stops), 3 minutes flat 50mph road, 8 minutes city streets (with stops). A/C on about 85% of time. Windows closed. 80F outside, sunny, low humidity. Used Eco, Power, and Normal modes.

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no, i don't think it should have dropped that low under those conditions. 1-2 bars usually happens in stop and go traffic or major hill climbing. could be a bad 12 volt battery.