1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does this sound like a 12 volt battery problem?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by JoanneR, May 19, 2010.

1. JoanneR

JoanneR Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This has happened to me twice (just today and about a month ago). The first time I was just sitting in the car, turned it off. It was hot outside so I just hit the power button without my foot on the break to start up the air conditioner. After a few minutes, a message pops up on the screen saying something about the transmission couldn't put the car in park and to park it on a level surface. I was on a level surface. I tried to start the car and it wouldn't start. After several tries, including inserting the key fob in the slot it finally started. Today, I had almost the same scenario, only I was just returning to the car after shopping. Four warning lights came on, the parking break light was on (even those it wasn't engaged), and again the transmission message came up, saying I should move the car to a flat surface. After fiddling around, I got the car started again and immediately went to the Toyota dealership. I was just there yesterday getting an oil change and a once over safely check before I head back north which is a total of 24 hours of driving over several days.

They're diagnosis is that I need a new 12 volt battery. Prius is a 2007 with about 41,000 miles.

I can be taken advantage of because I don't know any better. Does this sound like a battery problem? Can they test it to verify that it the battery?

I would also like to apologize for being so long winded and for not being quick enough to write down everything the screen had on it.

2. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    yes.. weak 12v. i tend to Always turn the car on when draining energy, or else you're likely to kill the 12v.

i'm not running on the oem battery. i'm using a jump box (not designed for this purpose) i leave all interior lights off.. when i park the car i turn the AC, and other power consuming items off. this insures i never get that message while starting the car.

3. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The message about the transmission frequently is associated with a
    weak 12V battery. The typical service life of the battery is ~4 years.
    Extreme cold and hot conditions shorten that. If you've ever had to
    "jump" the battery, it's life is further shortened. :(

Getting a new battery would seem to be in order.

As a side benefit, lots of folks report a significant jump in MPGs with a
    new 12V battery, sometimes as much as 10 %. :rockon:

Hope this helps.

4. Bob.H

Bob.H Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My Prius is a 2008 and I replaced my 12 Volt battery because of poor mileage and it was at the failure point in the diagnostics. I did not want my Wife to be put through any of those weird things like those you just described. My mileage went back up to normal and no odd happenings manifested themselves.

I put in the Optima and Kit.

Bob

5. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    It does sound like your 12v battery was discharged at that time. It may or may not need replacement, but if it cannot hold a charge it is time for a new one.

Have you ever drained the 12v battery (e.g. left the door ajar over night)? Each time this happens the battery gets weakened.

Do you do a lot of short trips? If so the 12v battery never gets fully charged up as the "constant voltage" charging system (at about 14 volts when your Prius is in "Ready" mode) in your Prius charges the 12v battery at a slow rate to avoid overcharging it.

You can check the state of your 12v battery and the charging system using the MFD. The procedure is documented at the ElearnAid web site (They sell a more robust battery for the Prius - The Optima Yellow Top). Go to:
    12 Volt (12v) Toyota Prius Auxilary Battery for 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010 with installation kit
    The MFD battery test procedure is near the end of that page.

JeffD

6. JoanneR

JoanneR Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks all. Yes, in the past year the battery has had to be jumped twice, once because of an interior light, the other I am not sure why.

I appreciate everyone taking the time to answer. I am scheduled to get a new battery tomorrow a.m.

7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I agree that your car needs a new 12V battery.

For future reference, please avoid leaving the car IG-ON (where the dashboard warning lights turn on) for any length of time. The drain on the 12V battery is quite heavy in that operating mode.

If you want the air conditioner to be on, then make the car READY.

8. Mark Williams

Mark Williams Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Have 2009 Prius with about 181,000 miles on it.Yesterday(March 14, 2020), was driving on 2 lane highway, suddenly started losing power, all dash lights came on like a Christmas tree(including red triangle), and speedometer light disappeared, was able to pull off road. Tried starting would not do so, could only put in "park" or "neutral", so finally had call to tow truck, to take to garage. In January of this year, went ahead and replaced the 12v battery(had about 8-9 years on it), with a new "Yellow top" from AutoZone cost me around $250.00, so at least battery will still be under warranty. I suggested to tow truck/ garage owner to check the 12v battery, my gut tells me new battery is fried. Just wanted to share my recent experience

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    more likely the inverter pump or something else

all the best!