1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

driving in no mode

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by southjerseycraig, Sep 7, 2013.

1. southjerseycraig

southjerseycraig Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    When I first got my generation III, I had it on Eco. I found this hard to adjust to after being in a Camry. So I got the car out of Eco mode, but didn't put it in either EV or Power mode. I've been assuming this is OK for over 35,000 miles now. Is there something wrong in what I'm doing?

2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ? Being in normal mode OK? Sure.

I can't take mine out of ECO mode,,, just seems like I am doing something bad. ;)

VTAERO likes this.
  3. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    No Mode = Normal Mode. 99% of the miles on our Prius has been in Normal Mode.

SCH-I535

4. Bill Norton

Bill Norton Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Those buttons only change the throttle pedal response, that's all.
    Your right foot controls power and fuel economy.

Full throttle pedal = full engine power, no matter what you do with those silly switches.

5. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That is incorrect. ECO reduces temperature threshold for coolant, allowing the engine to stay off all the way down to 114°F rather than the usual 145°F. There's an obvious efficiency advantage this provides in the winter for the heater. Also, ECO reduces the A/C draw, allowing for more efficient cooling in the summer.

6. Bill Norton

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Are you sure of these numbers?
    I was always in normal. At the end of my street, I could see ~109° coolant on my Garmin ecorouteHD and the engine would shut down at the stop.
    Is your reference to 'A/C draw' in the owner's manual?

Nice site btw! Your numbers look like you are not one of those hypermiling traffic obstructions! Thanks!
    A PIP would not work for me. I have to go faster than 62 mph and farther than 13 miles. And those numbers are either/or, correct?

7. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    109°F is the rapid warm-up shutoff threshold. Turn on the heater or try driving beyond 10 mph and watch what happens. The engine will start... with the regular model anyway. The plug-in has an even lower threshold for certain circumstances.

And I have no idea of the 'A/C draw' is in the owner's manual. Most of that detail is not. You have to get it from other information sources, as we did when it was introduced.

8. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Those thresholds are don't actually equate to much. They are mostly just argument points for enthusiasts.

My commute is 17 miles, 9 of which are at 70 mph. Overall MPG exceeds 150.

9. Bill Norton

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I question this, "ECO reduces the A/C draw, allowing for more efficient cooling"
    Either that variable speed AC compressor is providing what you ask for or you turn down the temp or turn up the fan.
    If it could be made to 'be more efficient' why not have it run that way all the time?

I'm pretty sure the ECO, PWR, and normal modes are just throttle pedal response curves.
    They are there to trick you into thinking you are getting More :) or Less :unsure: .

10. southjerseycraig

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    FWIW (almost nothing, because I am not an engineer or a techie) my impression is the same as Bill's; that the various modes just affect what happens when the driver steps on the pedal. I was used to a certain kind of response from my Camry, so being in Eco felt uncomfortable. I suppose I could have dealt with it by just hitting the accelerator harder, but it seemed easier to change mode than to try to change the acceleration habits I've developed over 45 years of driving.

11. Fluxuated

Fluxuated Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No, as stated above, it effects the AC and the heating.

12. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    ECO mode definitely affects the AC and the heating, including lowering the coolant temp for ICE shutdown. I use ECO a lot in the winter in the mornings for the lower ICE shutdown. ECO is also good for feathering the pedal for gliding.

It definitely affects the AC as it limits the use of AC at the top end. During warmer weather when the cabin gets hot it takes much longer to cool the cabin due to these limitations. It limits the speed of the compressor and the blower fan. For those that are more interested in mpg, this is a good thing. For me, I am more concerned about cooling the cabin quicker and keeping the HV battery temps lower so I never use ECO in the warmer months.

southjerseycraig likes this.
  13. southjerseycraig

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    many thanks. This reinforces my reluctance to use ECO. I am in the mid-Atlantic region, and so the car's interior can get quite hot. If I turn on the air conditioner full blast, I am OK after a few minutes. I wouldn't want a delay in cooling. As for mpg, I am quite content with the approximately 50 mpg I get in mostly interstate driving.

jdcollins5 likes this.