1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dynamic radar cruise control technical questions

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Stevphe, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Stevphe

Stevphe New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey guys,

I've got some technical questions as I'm curious how it all works...

I understand that there is a radar emitter on the front of the car..
    • Where is it and where does it send the radar information to? (assuming a computer but which one and where is it?)
    • Is there a wire connecting the radar emitter to that computer?
    • How does this computer work? How does it process the information and then physically slow down or speed up the car?
    Thank you for the answers ahead of time. This forum has always been awesome, along with the people using it.

2. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The radar sits behind the front emblem and requires a different (flat), non-metallic emblem than found on the lower trims. Not sure where the computer is, but it keeps the car at a set distance (one of three settings that you can change) between it and the vehicle in front using, of course, radar.

3. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    32k's post is right. There is a cable from the radar to the Driving Support ECU. Several computers are involved in the whole process, from detecting vehicles to applying the gas or brakes as needed. From the repair manual, it looks like some of the computers involved include the Power Management Control ECU (I think vehicle status and power, inputs from various driver controls, and regen/engine/motor power), the Driving Support ECU (detection of vehicles, calculating appropriate behavior), and the Skid Control ECU (applying the brakes).

The actual mechanism of detecting a vehicle in front of the car is undoubtedly very difficult; it has to filter out false signals (vehicles in adjacent lanes, precipitation/dust, objects on or near the road, the road itself, etc.). It looks at the distance to the next vehicle, as well as its speed - I believe it generally filters out things that are stopped or nearly stopped, to avoid slamming on the brakes if you pass a parked car. (Though PCS can certainly sense an impending collision with a stopped object - so it probably depends on how far away and how close to straight ahead the object is.) From the distance and the speed, the computer will figure if it should drive at the set speed or slower, and communicate the desired level of acceleration/regen/braking to the appropriate computers.

Since everything is drive-by-wire, controlling vehicle speed is pretty easy. The gas and brake pedals are just inputs to a computer, and so is the radar cruise control. As long as the driver isn't doing anything with the gas or brake (or if the cruise control wants more throttle than the driver is requesting), then the cruise control's suggested throttle/brake levels are used. If the driver applies the brakes, or is requesting more throttle than the cruise, then the driver's inputs override the cruise control.

4. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    As for computer locations, it looks like the Power Management Control ECU and Driving Support ECU are behind the glove box, and the Skid Control ECU (aka the Brake Booster with Master Cylinder Assembly) is behind/underneath the brake fluid reservoir.

5. kye04

kye04 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    How can i use automatic pilot speed without radar ???

6. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Your profile says you have a III so are you sure you have radar?

To use cruse control without radar on ATP-equipped Prius, press the on-off button on the cruise control lever to activate the cruise control then push the lever away from you and hold for 1 second.

7. kye04

kye04 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    I have a 4 ...or a five... i really don`t know. It was everything ( led, solar roof, jbl, pre collision, radar etc). this is the clip with the car before i bought it.

I push it away from me and hold it before or after i set the speed ??

8. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Sounds like you're in Canada and have the Technology Package. They don't use trims in Canada so leave it as "N/A" in your profile.

Push the lever away and hold to switch to constant speed control mode then set the speed.

9. kye04

kye04 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    I`m in europe . I managed to do it. Thanks anyway.

10. kye04

kye04 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    btw .... how in the name of god u conclusioned i`m in canada ??

11. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Just a guess as you didn't know what trim you had, and Canadian Prius with Technology Package has solar roof (although I overlooked the fact that they don't have LED headlights and yours do).

They use different names for trims in Europe, something like Luna, Sol and Sol Premium. I'd just change it to V in your profile to keep it simple.

12. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We should have some of the European trims listed (UK and Netherlands at the very least).

13. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yes, it's listed under package but packages haven't been visible in profiles ever since PC server migration.

14. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Touché.