1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

E9 or E6 PG&E schedule?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by dulenomochafahe, Sep 6, 2012.

1. dulenomochafahe

dulenomochafahe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thinking to switch from E1. I don't like E9 peak hour, from 2-9pm, but off peak is cheaper than E6.
    Which one I should use? I usually stay home around 7pm and sleep around 12am.

(I can't install solar panel because I am living in townhouse. )

2. Chris Knudsen

Chris Knudsen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    use this calcualtor, you can down load your last year of hourly usage data and then it will compare what rate is better for you , a nice ap, and now with the smart meter you can get the data to give you the answer
    https://www.pev4me.com/
    for me E9 was better even without solar although i have solar so E9 is an easy choice

dulenomochafahe likes this.
  3. What are the KWHr charges?

4. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
  5. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    PG&E E-9 rates In summary, the peak rates vary from $0.30 to $0.54 per KWH, depending on which tier the usage falls in (more you use, more it costs per unit of usage). Off peak ranges from $0.037 to $0.198 per KWH.

6. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  7. On the Off peak, what is the limit of usage to maintain the .037 per KWH ? Is it something reasonable, like 5-6 hours? TY

8. dulenomochafahe

dulenomochafahe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Before I got my PIP, I reached Tier 2 each month. Now, I reach Tier 3 on my last 3-4 days each month.

9. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    My baseline is about 320KWH/month, distributed proportionally across the usage in the three rates (there is also a middle part-peak rate). I got 143 KWH at the cheap $0.037 rate on my last bill. The baseline amount is computed using a secret formula that takes into account average usage in one's neighborhood, your geographical location, time of year, and probably some other factors. (Kind of like the intercollegiate football rankings.)

I've done things like using the timer on the dishwasher to come on after off-peak kicks in at midnight.

10. bfd

bfd Plug-In Perpetuator

Close to SDSU in the Far Southwest Corner of Cali
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Deregulating utilities really didn't help us much here in California. Rates in many places are worse than Hawaii's…

11. That's pretty good, that gives you about 45 days of charging at the .037 rate, discounting the dishwasher. Your usage is about 10 times what mine is!

12. I agree, SMUD does not even bother answering my Emails. Crummy utility.

13. devprius

devprius /dev/geek

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    We just had solar put on and opted for E6 initially. After we have a year under our belt I'll take another look and consider moving to E9a (whole house). Got our first PG&E bill. All minimum meter charges & the NEM statement shows a $30 credit so far.

14. Excellento

15. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I just started E6 too with solar just installed a month ago. My solar guy seemed to be pretty confident E6 was best after reviewing my usage patterns, but I'll do the same review after a year.