1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Elcon Charger End voltage and other mods

Discussion in 'Prius PHEV Plug-In Modifications' started by Flying White Dutchman, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  2. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    go a 4,7Mohm on order maybe get it this week
    1 solid and 1 variable with a 1Mohm solid to go over that one.
    hopefully this will work.

3. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    And a update
    U did the charger endvoltage mod
    It works thanks to lopes calculations
    4M7 ohm over r1
    uploadfromtaptalk1341166956517.jpg
    -Htc Tapatalk ( sorry for auto spell correct )

4. lopezjm2001

lopezjm2001 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Congratulations. You could have done the mod a lot earlier. It looks like in your photo you have run two wires outside the case to make it more accessible to connect a resistor without having to open the charger. Good idea. Just don't get zapped. Keep it well insulated. What is your new end voltage?

5. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Soldering that large pad was a pain.
    I am at ~259 volts i have yet to measure it during charge.

Yes 2 wire outside ;-) you see it right :p

Only temp. when i am happy i am going to put 12 volt on those wire and control a relay thats saver

-Htc Tapatalk ( sorry for auto spell correct )

6. lopezjm2001

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Should set your end voltage to 70cells x 3.65v = 255.5v

You may be able to modify each one of your BMS modules to start burning power at a lower voltage value say 3.45v.

Consider sending an email to the seller and ask if you can somehow modify your BMS modules so they start burning at a lower voltage i.e. 3.45v.

Otherwise I think you are top balancing too close to 3.80v and may be overcharging your cells. Considering the accuracy of using your CellLogs which sometimes need calibration it is very risky. Generally if you cells reach 4.00v for a considerable amount of time your cells are toast. There is not much room for error.

7. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    before i got them.. during ( got some more spares ) and after i asked about that
    but in non of those cases did i get any response to that question......
    but yhea i was already thinking about moding the bleeding boards.

maybe i make some close up macro pics and post them here..

8. lopezjm2001

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe start a new thread and post a high resolution photo of both sides of PCB. Try to draw a electrical schematic diagram from the photo. Maybe other users who have extensive electronic knowledge will be able to help. Include the website you got it from and any info that would help.

9. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    after some testing 4.700.000 ohm is stil not good
    the charger did stop but not soon enough that i wanted.
    so it does work but not yet the way i want it

so i made 5Mohms but with this the charger woudl not start
    the leds give me the battery disconnected message......
    when i unplug it the charger starts to chagre
    with the 4M7ohm the charger simply starts charging.. strange!!
    so i can not add 400.000 ohms to that 4.700.000 to make 5 ( i just added 5 x 1Mohm ) because then the charger wil not except the control voltage anymore.

i geuss i have to work with 4M8 or 4M9 ohms....

10. PIFOUBMW

PIFOUBMW New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello from France,

I made my PHEV conversion on my P2 01/2004 with 140cells A123 to have 255,5V 40A and it's working well but my firsts chargers are dead then I just bought few days ago a ELCON 6KW TC Charger but my problem is that the seller didn't program my voltage for 70cells A123 then 255,5V as requested, It sent directly the charger with factory default values then 292V 21,6A, When I charged my cells, I had an overcharge then I cut off manually the charger (I was checking with Ampermeter and Voltmeter during the charge) because my BMS are not actually stoping the charge (I 'm building soon the DIY BMS)

Can you help me to program my voltage on my charger please ? (the link above 34672d1328563742-planing-canview-bms-conversion-lithium-how-trim-endpoint-volatge-elcon.pdf is not working anymore) then I don't know what is needed to change the maximal voltage and eventually increase the Amperage to 22 or 23A.

Thanks for your help.

PIFOUBMW

11. PIFOUBMW

PIFOUBMW New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II

I just opened today the cover of my 6KW Charger only too see how is the Inside and there are 3x 240V chargers Inside, then 3 boards to adjust, On the 3 boards I found R1=206200 ohm and R2 8630 ohm and actually my output voltage is 292V (factory settings)

I found a curve button on each board, then my question is : Does I have to press the 3 buttons at startup to change the curve (if exists) or only the one behind the sticker on the box ?

Now I have to calculate the Radd value to obtain between 252 and 255.5V at the end of my charge.

But I have a problem, with the values I found, the controller voltage seems to be 11.73V ...

Any Idea ?

EDIT : The 3 chargers are in // then the R1+R2 values too then wrong values, I disconnected the +DC wire from the 3 chargers and now I found R1=601000 ohm to 603000 and R2=8660 oms to 8680 which is better :) then controller voltage is 4.20325 to 4.20752 volt