1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Electric car for sale at Sam's Club

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Wiyosaya, Oct 10, 2007.

1. Wiyosaya

Wiyosaya Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
  2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks like there's just one of these packages available on a first come first serve basis.
    Pretty neat package with the shuttle launch thing, Orlando vacation, etc. The $35k price for the car is probably a tad high, but if it really goes 100 miles and 70mph that would be a hell of a nice little commuter...tough to fit my kid's car seats in it, but pretty darn versatile anyway.

3. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    For the record, I do believe this electric car would fit INSIDE my electric car, although I may have to fold the rear seat down, so I would no longer be able to haul 5 passengers.

I guarantee that I would be able to haul five passengers and this electric car in a trailer behind my electric car.

Darell, what do you think?

Nate

4. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You know this is a great idea, to bad no one will come up with a way to regenerate the batteries whilre driving then you could drive farther. But the manufacturers still want you dependant on big brother.
    Weather its big oil or big power...... Either way your still paying for your fuel....

5. rudiger

rudiger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Too bad the price is so high (and surely the reason they're only building one). A diminutive car like the Smart ForTwo would seem to be an ideal platform from which to make an EV. In fact, given the quite lackluster reviews of the normal ICE version, a fully electric ForTwo would be one of the few reasons to actually get one.

6. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hycamguy07 @ Oct 10 2007, 09:54 AM) [snapback]523625[/snapback]</div>
    All you need is a generator on the back. I'm considering this for my car, just put a platform on the hitch, and hook it to a Manzanita charger in the car. Total cost under $5000. The catch? I can't figure out how to open the back door with the generator in place, plus my wife would kill me if I dropped another $5000 on the car right now.

Here's a whole write up on a professional setup:

http://www.evnut.com/rav_longranger.htm

Nate

7. abq sfr

abq sfr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wiyosaya @ Oct 10 2007, 08:44 AM) [snapback]523576[/snapback]</div>
    Go here for some idea on what it's based on. http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Featu...rticleId=117630
    One photo shows the guy in the driver's seat with his knee hitting the dash. They say it gets "over 40 mpg". I think I'll stick with my very safe and functional 57mpg Prius. Although full electric would be a kick, but I don't think the tradeoffs of the base vehicle are worth it.

8. rudiger

rudiger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(abq sfr @ Oct 10 2007, 01:19 PM) [snapback]523683[/snapback]</div>
    For essentially the same price, the 'much larger' (which is really saying something about the size of the ForTwo) 34/40mpg 3-door Yaris would seem to be a much better choice.

Unless Roger Penske and company can substantially lower the price or the price of gas rises exponentially, I doubt Smart is going to be much of a sales success in the US (even in congested urban areas).

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    gasoline engine? This is a Euro-spec model? Cause the Canadian models only have the diesel engine.

Oh and it tops out at $21k for the coupe so ~$14k for the Li-Ion conversion.

10. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Oct 10 2007, 03:17 PM) [snapback]523784[/snapback]</div>
    Call it $10k for the Li Conversion and $4k for the Orlando/Space shuttle thing.

11. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rudiger @ Oct 10 2007, 12:51 PM) [snapback]523698[/snapback]</div>
    First, the electric conversion is based on the first generation Smart ForTwo not the new 2nd generation.

Second, the Smart is still several thousand less than the Yaris when similarly equipped. (Passion trim)

Third, the 2nd gen ForTwo is very spacious inside. When I test drove the car they started off with the seat all the way back. I'm 5'10" with a 32" inseam and my feet didn't touch the peddles with the seat all the way back.

Forth, the Smart is designed to achieve mid 40's mpg COMBINED for the 2008 EPA test standard. It gets an official 50 mpg on the EU combined cycle. That compares to the Yaris at 32 mpg combined on the 2008 EPA standard.

The Yaris or Prius would only be better if you need a large car.

For my full review of the Smart ForTwo see the thread "I test drove a Smart Yesterday" in Other Cars.

12. SyCo

SyCo Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Or one could buy the CMEC City Smart from China also called Shuanghuan Noble which is already Electric. An electric motor that is capable of pushing the pint-size two-seater along at a top speed of 34 mph. The battery range, according to CMEC, is around 62 miles. U.S. $5,260

[​IMG]

Okay :p I know that it is old news and maybe OT. While it is not availabe in North America. But since it was supposed to be available in Europe this year (2007), who knows.

source: Edmunds InsideLine

p.s. please don't flame me I was just posting this as I thought it was related in some way. Personnaly I would not buy a Chinese car anyway :eek: .

13. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    that china commuter car, although lower top speed, it a bargain if it can be had for 5K... not holding my breath on that one though