1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Emissions parts warranty- how many years/miles

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by alsteckprius, May 13, 2014.

1. alsteckprius

alsteckprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The dreaded "check engine" light came on a couple of days ago. Dealer cited several "evaporative emissions" codes. Now they want to do a "smoke test," and I am told that most of the emissions system is only covered by a 3 yr/36,000 mile warranty. I was under the impression that it was 100k miles. What is a smoke test, and how long is the emissions warranty. I'd check my book, but its in the car 40 miles from my home.

2010 Prius III

2. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    sounds like they are blowing smoke up your$$$.reset the codes and see if it will do it again, chances are it wont

3. mrstop

mrstop PWR Mode

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't know what your code is, but make sure your gas cap is tight. Turn it until you here 3 clicks. If you have an auto parts store nearby (like an autozone or advanced autoparts), they will often read your codes for free.

4. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    According to my PDF copy of the Warranty & Maintenance Guide, It's a little complicated, but...
    • The federal defect warranty on specified parts (to meet regulations) is 2 yr/24k mi.
    • The federal performance warranty is also 2 yr/24k mi, and they'll repair anything that causes you to fail your state's emissions test, if such failure is grounds for a fine or denial of the right to use your vehicle.
    • The basic warranty covers everything for 3 yr/36k mi, which basically supersedes the prior two warranties.
    • The engine ECU, catalytic converter, battery ECU, hybrid ECU, data connector, and malfunction indicator light and bulb (!) have an 8 yr/80k mi warranty.
    • The battery ECU, hybrid battery, hybrid ECU, and inverter also have an 8 yr/100k mi warranty.

Additionally, if you live in a CARB state (and the booklet and I both believe that New York is one), the performance warranty and defect warranty is good for 15 yr/150k miles. Those apply to anything that causes you to fail an emissions test, and to the specified emissions parts (even if you don't fail a test), respectively.

I've never had to deal with a smog test since the Prius is exempt in CA, but it's my understanding that if the CEL is illuminated, that's automatically a failure. Perhaps you can convince the dealer of this - or take your car to get tested to see if you can get a failure, and then present this failure to the dealer and ask for a claim under the emission performance warranty.

For evaporative emissions, I'd assume that this might mean that the vacuum check that the car performs a few hours after you turn it off has failed. (But that's just a total guess - if you have the specific codes, maybe somebody can make a better-educated guess.) It might mean that the gas cap wasn't tightened all the way, or that there's a leak somewhere. The defect warranty should cover you if it's the charcoal canister, fuel tank, hoses, clamps, and a few other parts.

So I'd say you should argue with the dealer that you should be covered, as long as you're within 15 years/150,000 miles, and it's not due to an accident or something like that.

As for the smoke test, I'm guessing that this means they want to pump your gas tank full of smoke, then see where the smoke leaks out. Once they find the smoke, they'll know what came loose and can fix/replace it. The car will then hopefully be satisfied that the gas tank is sealed.

But seriously, check your gas cap. Leaving it loose is probably the biggest reason why most people see the check engine light.

JimboPalmer likes this.
  5. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    IIRC- CARB state is 10yrs/150k miles...
    Yup, NY is a CARB state... it's one of the few benefits we actually get here!

6. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It depends. The extended emissions warranty only covers a specific list of components. Most of that list is outlined in the warranty manual.

Since the vehicle is out of warranty, you will need to pay for the diagnosis in order to confirm the culprit. If the culprit is a covered item, then toyota will pick up the bill.

It sounds like there's a Evap leak somewhere in the system. A smoke test is a very normal way of determining the location of an Evap leak.

7. alsteckprius

alsteckprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks Macman and everyone else. Just to get one point out of the way, the first thing I did when the CEL came on was to open and firmly close the gas cap.

Dealer could not find the offending parts, even after the $130 smoke test. I got the old "try it and see if it happens again" routine. But they insist that only a few parts, such as the cat. converter are covered beyond the 3/36 warranty.

My car has about 56K miles. Codes reported to me: P043E, P043F, P2401, P2402, and P2419.

By the way, I can't complain about the dealer too much (Prestige Toyota in Kingston NY), they did give me a Prius C loaner to use since I live almost an hour away.

8. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid