1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Energy per unit CO2 produced, gas vs. diesel

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by kgall, Jan 8, 2012.

1. kgall

kgall Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A gallon of diesel produces more energy than a gallon of gas, right?

Does this mean that diesel produces more energy per molecule (or pound or whatever unit you want to use) of CO2 produced? (See, since I don't know the chemical composition of diesel I don't know the answer to that question, and don't want to just falsely logic from a "gallon is a gallon" sort of thing.

My wife and I are having a discussion about gas vs. clean diesel vs. hybrid for our next car, which is why I ask.

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    A gallon of diesel contains more combustible material than a gallon of gasoline, which is why you can get more energy per unit from diesel. If the burning process were exactly the same you would end up with the same amount of CO2 per unit of energy.

They are both hydrocarbons; when you burn them you get water and carbon dioxide, plus other byproducts such as nitrous oxide and carbon monoxide. The byproducts come from variations in the combustion process, which varies by engine type.

Tom

3. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hope this helps -

link, select 'energy and emissions' > see GHG > show tailpipe and upstream

Compare Side-by-Side

says Prius is 222 grams/mile*

Jetta Sportwagen TDI is 390 g/mi

natl. avg. for Leaf is 230 g/mi (CO2 only) :eek: but 120g/mi in our 94587 zip :)

* GREET model w/ CO2, NOx and Methane

2 people like this.
  4. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    When comparing CO2 per unit of energy they are essentially identical. See Table 3.1 in
    http://www.buses.org/files/ComparativeEnergy.pdf

Gasoline is 8,284g CO2/Gallon and 114,000 BTU/Gallon
    8,284/114 = 74.4g CO2/1,000 BTU

Diesel is 10,274g CO2/Gallon and 138,000 BTU/Gallon
    10,274/138 = 74.4g CO2/1,000 BTU

All else being equal, a diesel produces more work per BTU, so a diesel would produce fewer g CO2 for the same number of horsepower hours .

Which produces the least CO2 per horsepower hour will depend on the design of the engine and how well it was optimized for efficency, but a diesel has an advantage.

2 people like this.
  5. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Close, and maybe you were simplifying...

Diesel has a slightly higher percentage of carbon by weight, but also has a slightly higher amount of energy by weight so they very nearly equal out.

6. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Diesel weighs more per unit volume -- about 12% if I remember correctly.

7. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I read that as Daniel the first time, and thought, he does sound like kind of a wiry guy.:D

12% is a good approximation, the number varies because diesel and gasoline densities each vary +/- a couple percent..

8. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    That's it exactly, and why I said "per unit of energy". I was trying to get the same idea across as your post, but at a very high level.

Tom

9. kgall

kgall Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the figures! How is it that the diesel produces more work per BTU?
    I seem to remember Tom Lehrer or somebody singing "Heat is Work and Work is Heat" or something like that. But somehow I'm not sure that relying on a vague memory of a 50 year old comic song is my best source for scientific knowledge.

10. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The biggest difference is a compression ratio 16:1 to 20:1 for a diesel and much less for a gas engine. Prius is a bright spot with 13:1 and their Atkinson Cycle approximation.

Another difference is the lower air pumping loses of a diesel because they don't have throttle plate restricting airflow. Once again though, Prius narrows the gap by using the CVT and electric part of the system to allow the engine to run at wide throttle openings and lower speeds on average than most gasoline engines.

1 person likes this.
  11. kgall

kgall Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Thanks for the link!
    I looked at the Prius (222 g/mile reg gas) vs. Audi A3 turbodiesel (299 g/mile) vs. Audi A3 turbo (370 g/mile for both 2 and all wheel drive, premium gas, which sounds counterintuitive--but the EPA milage ests are nearly equal for them).
    Using the same car for diesel and gas really does seem to back up the claim that diesel sends you further per unit of carbon burned.

12. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You would expect that since the diesel cycle is inherently more efficient. It isn't rocket science; it's straight thermodynamics. When you study engine efficiency, you learn that the theoretical efficiency limit for any engine is directly related to the difference in temperature (delta t) between the hot side of the engine and the cold side. In the case of an ICE, the hot side is the burning fuel during combustion and the cold side is the exhaust.

That sets the theoretical limit. All the other losses subtract from that, but you can't do anything to make an engine more efficient than the theoretical limit.

Diesel engines run hotter. They have higher compression and harder to ignite fuel. This gives them a higher delta t and therefore higher efficiency, everything else being equal (which it never is, but we factor in the details later).

The only way a gas engine can ever get better efficiency than a diesel is if the diesel is burdened with more ancillary losses (the details mentioned above).

Tom

1 person likes this.
  13. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Gaso is approx. 85% Carbon and 15% Hydrogen and 0.75 density
    Diesel is appox. 87% Carbon and 13% Hydrogen and 0.85 density

Yes same car diesel is better for MPG but more NOx, and if old diesel then particulates etc. Diesel is harder to hybridize. So bottom line I would get the Prius to be near zero emmisions and low GHG.

PS- If you lived in Europe, they set a higher tax on gaso than diesel.
    So then you have much less re-fuel cost with diesel. But we do not do that in US.
    Diesel costs more even in US but, if we pro-rate by density of fuels, maybe equal.

1 person likes this.
  14. kgall

kgall Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've assumed diesel is harder to make into a hybrid, since it isn't in the market much. But I have no idea why this should be so.

Anyone know?

15. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Diesel engines (and here I am generalising) are larger and heavier. They also like to run continuously at a sweet spot. This is fine for some types of hybrids, such as those found in locomotives and ship propulsion systems, but not so good with a family car.

Tom

16. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Modern diesels are efficient over a wide speed range.

From Brake Specific Fuel Consumption (BSFC) Maps - EcoModder
    [​IMG]
    The main problem is that in order to meet emissions requirements, the total diesel power plant system has become more complex and expensive. Also also the Atkins like cycle on the Prius has made the Prius engine close enough to diesel efficiency that the additional cost of a diesel isn't justified.

1 person likes this.
  17. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just keep mind GHG emissions of different cars are analyzed by researchers at Argonne Natl laboratory using GREET models. So, it's non-trivial (ok, it's freakin' complicated, I'm sure).

18. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    First and Second Law by Flanders and Swann.

Flanders and Swann Online - At the Drop of Another Hat - First and Second Law

1 person likes this.
  19. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    JP government uses following numbers.

gasoline diesel
    1 energy MJ/liter 34.6 38.2
    2 CO2 emission kg/liter 2.322 2.624

Ken@Japan

2 people like this.
  20. cit1991

cit1991 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Gasoline at $3.10 costs about $27.2 per MMBTU.

Diesel at $3.70 is about $26.8 per MMBTU.

Of course that doesn't account for the engine thermal efficiency.

FYI, electricity (if you were to use the heat value only) costs $29.3/MMBTU at $0.10 per kWh.

And natural gas (NYMEX today's price) costs $2.54/MMBTU.

1 person likes this.