1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine Block Heater

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Deepspacedave, Oct 6, 2014.

1. Deepspacedave

Deepspacedave Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Does anyone have any tips for finding the hole for the Engine Block Heater sold in the shop here? I got everything apart and had zero luck actually locating it. The picture in the instructions show an arrow pointing at the location (wide view) then a closeup of the thing, but on the closeup I can't get my bearing to determine at which angle it was actually taken at much less find the thing. I have it all put back together now. I suspect if nobody knows I may have to simply return it. Thanks in advance!

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There's this:

3rd-gen block heater

Funny, I was looking for the location, from below, this morning, during an oil change. Had the engine underpanel completely off, and could not see the block heater cable for the life of me. Mine's OEM, has the distinctive aluminized conduit leading away from the block heater, with triangular cross-section. It's in there, around the back of the block, up about half way. There's a fair bit of braille method involved in the install I think. Didn't do mine, dealership did, for a small fortune.

#2 Mendel Leisk, Oct 6, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
    Robert Holt likes this.
  3. Robert Holt

Robert Holt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Has anyone tried installing the "in-line" type of heater that gets inserted into the return line from the radiator for the coolant? Alternatively, has anyone used a dipstick oil heater on Prius to help winter time cold starts? I have done both on cars past but do not know if those approaches will work for a Prius or not.

4. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There's also oil pan heaters. Think they're often used in tandem with a coolant heater. I've never tried it, but it's likely effective. Install is a lot easier. Here's a couple of examples:

The most trusted engine oil heaters, fuel heaters and battery heaters for cars

(There's mention of Toyota 4 Runner using one of the above...)

Canadian Tire - Polar Pad Engine Heater, 125W customer reviews - product reviews - read top consumer ratings

The Prius block heater is 400 amp, just for reference.

Reading a bit more, here's a discussion on block heater (coolant heater) vs oil pan heater. One guy with both is happy with a set up having both (post #13 on page 1). I think the majority do block heater only though.

Block Heater vs oil pan heater....or neither - Tacoma World Forums

#4 Mendel Leisk, Oct 7, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
  5. Deepspacedave

Deepspacedave Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Awesome thanks folks. I sort of figured I may need to attack this from the bottom side. Those pictures are far better than the ones included as well. I have the fog lights on order too so I will take another crack at this when those arrive. Thanks!

6. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah, I would go from the bottom too, or try that first, if I was ever replacing ours myself. There's a sparkplug replacement Youtube video by nutzaboutbolts showing all the steps to take out the bottom of windshield cowl, wipers and motors: it is involved.

7. Dark_matter_doesn't

Dark_matter_doesn't Prius Tinkerer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It really isn't that difficult to remove the wiper tray & wiper system. There are plenty of videos around to show how. I've done the block heater from the top, and I think it's easier than from the bottom. There is a wiring harness held by a bolt that needs to be loosened and moved aside that's easier from the top.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Ok, good to know. I've looked at the spark plugs, with all that top removal, just don't relish doing it again. But it does open things up.

9. FroggyTaco

FroggyTaco Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    For clarity's sake I believe you meant to say 400 watt, not 400amp.

10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Ah woops. Not the first time I've messed that spec up, either. :oops: