1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine Coolant pump replacement question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by dhman2006, Aug 8, 2013.

1. dhman2006

dhman2006 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    My engine coolant pump is making grinding noise. There's no coolant leaking but I'm assuming the bearing inside is going bad. Since it's just a mechanical part I'm assuming any mechanic can perform the basic engine water pump change. I'm just wondering what kind of price range am I looking at? Has anyone changed their water pump?

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  3. dhman2006

dhman2006 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks but I meant total as in parts and labor.

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Probably ~$400: $100 for the pump, $40 for two gallons of Toyota SLLC, the remainder for labor time. Note that the eBay listing above is for the inverter coolant pump which is not the pump that you asked about in your OP.

Also note that it is possible that the noise is being caused by the idler pulley which tightens the serpentine drive belt, not the engine coolant pump.

5. dhman2006

dhman2006 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thank you. Yeah I noticed that too since it says inverter pump.

6. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I did mine myself. It was $47 for the pump from AutoZone, and I recovered all the coolant and reused it. I even reused the rubberized metal gasket which looked new. The only other expense was an inch-pound torque wrench, which I had been needing anyway. I'm thinking now that I probably didn't have to replace it, after having read on several threads that the pump will burp some coolant now and then. I figured if coolant made it past the seal, then the bearing was toast sooner or later. It wasn't making any noises though.