1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine light, Red car light and acceleration problems

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by A Andrade, May 4, 2016.

1. A Andrade

A Andrade New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Bought my daughter a used 05 prius. So far had had to repair the MFD, ac blower, 12v battery.

The engine light, red car light, the triangle light turned on. We replaced the 12v battery since we didn't know if it had ever been replaced. Drive the car for about 5 minutes, then all the red lights re-appeared followed by not being able to accelerate. Immediately drove back home. First looked up the acceleration problem and it says to check engine coolant levels. Low and behold the reservoir was empty. Purchased some, added it and drove around the neighborhood. The acceleration problem gone! Engine lights gone! Just as I am getting home, the dash lights disappear and the engine light only is lit, and red car on MFD. I drove it to our mechanic for error codes. It drove perfectly. As i go to turn off car, it wont turn off. It took another 5 minutes of power button holding, brake release and parking holding. It finally turns off.

Anyone have the same problems all at once or individually??

2. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    #2 dorunron, May 4, 2016
    Last edited: May 4, 2016
  3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    From your symptoms, the most common problems you could be facing is a HV battery failure.

You would need to read the error codes that are logged. There may be multiple problems in the car......including air in your cooling system which could overheat the car. If the car has been overheated before....then you're looking at a lot more problems that may occur.

How long have you owned it? Miles? Any maintenance history?

4. A Andrade

A Andrade New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well it is the battery and a quote of $3000 with tax. Ugh!

5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Maybe you can ask Toyota dealership to call Toyota corporate for a goodwill warranty. They may cover a portion of that $3000 repair for you.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how many miles on her?

7. A Andrade

A Andrade New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

8. A Andrade

A Andrade New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I found a shop here that charge me $2100 for a re manufactured battery.

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Tough call. I'd be inclined to stay with the Toyota battery at $3000, and do ask regarding possible goodwill discount. Remanufactured are just more of a gamble.

10. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't buy the remanufactured HV battery at $2100 installed. That's too much and there's a chance
    it will fail in less than a year. And you won't know the age of the modules in the remanufactured battery
    are unless you ask the seller who may or may not be willing to provide that information.

Imho, if you're going to keep it you should buy a new Toyota battery. It has brand new modules. And if the car
    has any other serious mechanical or electrical problems or gets totaled in an accident you can always sell
    the modules on eBay or Priuschat and get part of the cost of the new battery back. That's assuming you're
    willing and able to remove the HV battery and disassemble it.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    be very careful, there are a lot of scammers out there.
    the important thing with rebuilt is length and ease of warranty. you want a company who covers parts and labor, has been around for a significant amount of time, is close by so it doesn't cost too much to tow it there, (as long as you're not away) and most importantly,

passes the priuschat test! all the best.(y)