1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine Replacement FAQs

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Relic, Apr 22, 2014.

1. Relic

Relic Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hello, New to Prius and Forums.

Purchased a 2007 Touring about two months ago and love the car. Performed my first oil change and discovered non-magnetic metal in my drain pan last weekend. Concerned but not convinced I need a new engine. It has 157,000 miles and burns a quart every 3000 miles, no visible leaks. Clean carfax, serviced regularly.

I have learned that the oil drain plug is supposed to have a gasket. Mine didn't have one originally when I changed the oil so it may have been possible that the plug was tightened too far causing this issue.

The engine is very quiet and I cut open the oil filter and found no metal. There are no leaks around the oil drain plug area at this time either.

So I'll drain the oil this Saturday and look for any metal in the bottom of my drain pan. I plan to drop the car's oil pan and look inside. I'll clean it up and look at threads, ect.

Hoping for the best but preparing for the worst. I have been absorbing a lot of reading material I had hoped would be gradual. I have replaced FWD manual transmission clutches so I'm up for doing this myself.

I'm looking for any procedures online with pics if possible on how to replace the motor if it comes to that but haven't been too successful so far. Any links that reference what I need would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is really premature talk of engine replacement. Nothing is wrong with your car, oil burning is quite normal. Adding a quart every 3000 miles is nothing but a $5 expense.

SM-N900P ?

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I agree and would say you should just drive the car for a while and see if any symptoms associated with the engine appear. If not, it seems a waste to drain out new engine oil just to remove the oil drain pan now. If there are no leaks associated with the oil drain pan, what is the rush to remove it?

Instead, drive 5K miles, drain the engine oil at that point, and if you still see substantial metallic content then remove the oil drain pan if you feel a burning need to do so.

I don't believe that anyone has posted on a DIY replacement of the engine. There are some who have had to replace the transaxle and posted about that. In general terms, you would have to remove the radiator, inverter, exhaust system, and front suspension crossmember under the engine, then remove the engine/transaxle as one large part from the bottom of the car. So you would need to raise up the car sufficiently so that the engine/transaxle can be pulled out after it is lowered down.

If the lack of a drain plug gasket bothers you, then remove the drain plug, quickly insert a gasket, and replace the drain plug. Not very much oil hopefully will leak out during this process. Or better yet, have a beer or three and don't worry about it (since there are no leaks) until 5K miles from now when you do the next engine oil change.

Factory repair manual info can be obtained at techinfo.toyota.com

JC91006 likes this.
  4. Relic

Relic Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yes as much as I would hate to throw away good oil I would think that I would need that metal gasket on the drain plug I have since learned I need if it were to leak.

I'll keep an eye on it.

5. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    By the way, the correct engine drain plug gasket is a kind of composite sandwich, it is not pure aluminum or copper. When you look at a side view of the gasket, there is what appears to be an aluminum center, with dark coating on both sides. Similar to a US quarter which has a copper core with nickel on the visible faces.

If the lack of that gasket bugs you, then remove the drain plug, quickly insert the gasket, then reinstall the drain plug. Not much oil will come out of the drain hole during that process if you are quick. Tightening torque is 28 ft.-lb.

I also noted that you cut open and inspected the old engine oil filter and found no metal content within. That is a very good sign, further reason not to bother with removing the sheet steel oil drain pan for inspection.

The 'non-magnetic metal" that you earlier noticed implies bearing wear. This would not come from the drain plug threads or the drain pan hole, since both are steel and therefore are magnetic. However if the engine is running quiet now, then any existing bearing wear would not be terrible.

To provide you a comparison data point, my 2004 with 171K miles is burning engine oil at the rate of 1 quart per 5K miles. I would say that your engine oil consumption is "normal" especially given the odometer reading of 157K miles.

6. Relic

Relic Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Appreciate the feedback it is reassuring, thanks.

7. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Bill,
    Could you please elaborate on this part?

8. Relic

Relic Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Sure. Hindsight I should have taken a picture. I'm not looking at shavings rather small chunks or nugget type pieces. Here is the best example I can find to compare that would be similar if we were to remove the largest piece in this example that I didn't have in that size. I had only one piece the size of what looks to be the size and shape (south) of the largest piece in this example followed by about 30 or so pieces the size (left) and (right) of the largest piece followed by much smaller shimmering pieces on the drain spout as similarly indicated. They were silver in color not copper as in this example and non metallic.

[​IMG]

9. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That would imply that aluminum bits were in the oil. Not sure why that would be the case unless the cylinder walls are wearing out...

10. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I see small aluminum particles in used oil but not oil filter. I believe they are from aftermarket aluminum drain plug washer (I use aftermarket magnetic drain plug).

11. Relic

Relic Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I will have driven over 300 miles by Saturday since last weekend's oil change oil change. While I probably won't necessarily drop the oil pan I will however drain the oil to rinse material that may have accumulated as a small price to pay if this may be some material from a non standard or forming drain plug washer.

I recently paid just a bit over $6,000 for the car and I'm willing to pour more money into it if it comes to that. There are options to this depending upon whether I take them on myself or have someone else do the work that is routine or otherwise. I'm not knowledgeable with this particular car to take a lot of service matters into my own hands yet as I would like to be but I will get there.