1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Entune is the worst!

Discussion in 'Prius v Audio and Electronics' started by 13PV, May 20, 2013.

1. 13PV

13PV Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Am I the only one that gripes about my entune? My wife and I both have iphone 4s's both paired to the car. I'll run entune app on my phone, then press INFO/APP on the dash. It fails to connect to my phone.

This is EVERY single time I get in the car. SOMETIMES I'll be able to get it to work if I delete my phone as a registered device, and then restart the whole process.

Anyone have a fix/solution?

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Are you plugging in via USB or trying to work via Bluetooth?

3. PLSPUSH

PLSPUSH Active Member

3 mos. ownership and haven't even tried it.

4. MBRGuru

MBRGuru Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    What version of iOS are you running?

5. skwcrj

skwcrj Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Are you running iOS6 on your iPhones? I don't have Entune but have read about folks having issues connecting their iPhones running iOS 6 to Entune.

Here's a link to that discussion:

iPhone 5 Bluetooth phone problem | PriusChat

6. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    We haven't missed Entune, which isn't compatible with the WinPhone. Still, the WinPhone BT pairs, plays, hand-free calls, passes thru voiced text/SMS msgs as audio, and does voice to text/SMS replies. What else does Entune do?

7. 13PV

13PV Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    it's plugged in via usb & bluetooth paired.
    my wife has her iphone updated. mine does not have the latest iOS (didn't want the google map changes along with other reasons). neither of our phones work.

PS, the phone calling function works, it's the use of the apps (Pandora/iheartradio) that does not.

We also have the HDD (Adv. Tech. Package) if that matters.

8. MBRGuru

MBRGuru Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    There's known connection problems with iOS 5. The iOS 6 phone - is it running the ENTUNE app when you hit INFO/APPS -> Apps? Do you see the app on the phone respond by going to the "Disconnect" screen?

9. ImeanGreen

ImeanGreen Prius v Five BP Brigade #236

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My guess is, it is user error. If you want to use Pandora, make sure you choose Bluetooth as your audio source. Make sure you also have good internet service. BTW, try unplugging the USB connection and just use Bluetooth.

10. 13PV

13PV Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I'll double check with her phone to make sure her iOS is the latest.
    Yes, entune app is running before we hit any apps on the car's touch screen

I'll try those two also.

11. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Though I have issues as well, after getting it setup it(Pandora through USB) is working consistently, 80-85% of the time. This is the car audio first system that does this so I don't have a reference. Of course it can be better but.. it's ok.

I have had more issues trying to use it via BT.

12. digitalsherpa

digitalsherpa New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    There is no fix, unfortunately. And apparently Toyota (Japan or USA) don't give enough of a crap to do something about it. Seriously! I bought a 2013 Prius V/5 on March 28 from a Mid-Atlantic dealer. I have developed some complaints about it, one of which is this crappy Entune system.

Like you I have an iPhone 4S. I have the latest iOS on it. It matters not what I'm running it on: iPod mode or BT mode; Entune App on or off. The results are the same. Sometimes it works, sometimes I get the spinning blue disk of death. It's very inconsistent. I now keep a log in the hopes that someone at Toyota develops a crap and wants data.

I complained to my dealer. They threw up their hands, telling me other customers complain about the same thing, but they can't do anything. Call Toyota USA, they say. So I called Toyota USA technical support, opened up a trouble ticket. They tell me they are aware of the problem. They say it's an incompatibility with iOS 6, and they are working with Apple on it. I don't believe it for a minute. I know developers at Apple. They know of no such work or reports. So, I'm stuck. And you're stuck, too.

The best advice I can give you is to call Toyota USA tech support at 800-331-4331. Report the issue. They will try to steer you towards their stupid "how to use Entune" videos. Persevere! Insist on talking to someone who is an Entune expert with the iPhone. I got a tech who gave me some temporary work arounds. They don't work all the time. But it's a small measure of help. Try this: Start the car with audio off, and the do not plug the iPhone in. Make BT the source. Turn on BT then music or a podcast on the iPhone. Once it starts playing, plug a genuine Apple iPhone power cord in. 50% of the time it will switch to iPod mode and work. Sorry, but you're screwed the other 50% of the time.

But do call Toyota. Make your issues known. Don't give up! The more of us that call, the more the message will ring clear. Maybe they will listen if enough people insist on better quality.

Chazz8 likes this.
  13. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    When we bought our Prius v last year, there was a known issue that required you to connect Apple phones through the USB. Are issues present with just the USB connection alone? Sucks there are still issues almost a year later....

14. 13PV

13PV Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    i haven't had a chance to mess with the settings but the phone is connected via USB and bluetooth paired. now i'm not sure if the software recognizes to go through USB, i'll check when i get some time in the car.

15. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    It is funny we have a Cadillac and Mercedes in the household. They both came with specific attachments to plug in your Apple product. I'm leaning towards more of an issue with Apple on this one. I used to buy Windows Mobile phones, and switched to buying Android based phones, staying away from Apple, (too expensive/high maintenance.)

16. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    A Nokia Lumia 900 WinPhone connected to the Prius USB port with either a charge/data cable or a simple charge cable triggers an over-current warning dialogue on the audio panel, which then shuts down the Prius USB port. No other USB/USB2.0/USB3.0 port on any other device to which the Lumia has been connected has ever triggered a similar warning or result. There has to be something nonstandard about the Prius USB port.

17. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Entune has no love for WinPhones, or at least that's what I know.

This is over-current protection. Maybe it's just a little too sensitive in the Prius, or maybe the phone is used to pulling a little more than usual current/has less resistance than usual in the charging circuit. The charging adapters usually say specs for output. I would compare that of the Lumia 900 with others and see if there is a difference. My Samsung S3 does not cause this on the Prius USB port. Can't exactly blame the car if other phones aren't widely being reported as having the same issue. I would start to diagnose by taking that phone to another Prius and see if this happens...

18. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    USB/USB2.0/USB3.0 standards are USB standards. Prius USB standards clearly differ.

19. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Do you know that the Lumia is in standard spec, and the Prius is not? Why isn't this happening to a lot of other phones?

SCH-R530M ? 2

20. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The fact of no squawks from any other device to which it has been connected via USB -- desktops, laptops, NAS drive, Garmin, smart-tv -- suggests to me it's the Prius USB.