1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Entune is the worst!

Discussion in 'Prius v Audio and Electronics' started by 13PV, May 20, 2013.

1. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I'd say you have a case if it happens in another Prius as well.

SCH-R530M ? 2

2. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

3. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Entune is giving people problems. Trying to solve this problem here.

You are bringing up another thread. I'm guessing you have something against me because I am trying to do something in a different way. You may just need to reconnect wires just underneath the fuse box and not tear up harnesses. I'm honest about issues I am having, not trying to deceive. Sometimes you get damage in a harness, ie due to water, and need to repair. Nothing wrong with that method IF I don't have to tear up the harness. Don't try to scare me/others. I am not asking anyone to do it. I am attempting to do it, then I'll report...

4. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

As I said before, suit yourself. I do.

5. 13PV

13PV Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    so i found out why my entune doesn't work. it doesn't work when the iphone is plugged in via usb. the apps work fine via bluetooth. now to figure out why it doesn't work when the usb is plugged in...

6. Offline

Offline Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    If I remember correctly, only iPods, MP3 players and simple USB memory are supported through the USB port. The iPhone is not. Information about what is supported via USB is explained in the owners manual. We connect the USB cable for my wife's iPhone to a USB converter plugged into the power port so she can charge it but her iPhone connects to Entune via Bluetooth.

7. MBRGuru

MBRGuru Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    When you plug it in are you switching the audio path on the phone? Does Bing work?

8. 13PV

13PV Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    perhaps, but the system should be smart enough to be either BT or USB, so you can transfer data via BT and charge via USB - plugging it in via USB shouldn't disable the system entirely.

9. 13PV

13PV Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    i'm not making any software changes when i plug it in. everything is working flawlessly via BT (haven't tested Bing, only used iheartradio & pandora), but when i plug the phone in via USB to charge it, the system is disabled.

10. ImeanGreen

ImeanGreen Prius v Five BP Brigade #236

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Bings works fine with BT.

11. jae

jae Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I had an issue twice today. My up to date iPhone 5 works perfectly with Entune via bluetooth. It plays Pandora without issue. However, as soon as it runs out of battery power and I try to plug it in, the bluetooth connection is severed. After it reconnects via USB, I try to start Pandora again and it looks like it is trying to play again, but there is no sound. Anyone experience this?

Edit: Just saw the post saying entune doesn't work via usb and to charge via the other charger which will still allow bluetooth to stay connected. I'll try that.

12. MBRGuru

MBRGuru Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    jae - Switch the audio path back to Bluetooth using AirPlay picker. When you plug it in the phone changes the path to USB. That or use the 12V charger like you mentioned.

13. Zephyr7

Zephyr7 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The new Apple's Carplay also does USB only.. Its not an issue but a design.
    Apple CarPlay - Car electronics - CNET Reviews

14. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    My understanding is IPhone will work with Entune through bluetooth IF you have a hotspot enabled. Usually hotspots that cost extra through your phone carrier. I believe Apple did this on purpose since Android phones will do the Entune through bluetooth without a hotspot feature.

15. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    FWIW The spec'd output current for USB2 ports is only 500mA, and USB3 is 900mA. Many new devices, particularly smart phones and tablets violate these power specs wanting up to 2A (2000mA) but still claim to comply with USB standards as they are primarily com standards not power standards. Port manufacturers have responded by increasing the current available on some ports, but as there are no specs governing this higher current / power it varies from port to port. Its still not uncommon to find ports (particularly on laptops) that only support the min required current in the USB specs.

Taking a quick look at reviews, the Lumina 900 draws over 800mA during charging which will overload a standard USB2 port if the device is not "smart" enough to throttle back its current usage. Many devices do this, and charge at different rates (or even operate without charging) depending on the current available from the port but not all do. For example our ipad1 nominally wants 1A from the port, but will still run from a 500mA port it just won't charge and play video at the same time.

16. miscrms

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    This is how I have my wife's iphone 5s setup on our new v, and haven't had any connection issues. The newer ATT plans (we're on family share) include hotspotting at no additional charge. Can't speak to other plans/carriers as to whether they still charge for hotspotting on iphone, but I think most have finally gotten away from doing that.

17. miscrms

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  18. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    No one mentioned it but what version of Entune do you guys have?

The latest is 3.2.0 and you can upgrade it yourself.

19. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

No other USB/USB2/USB3 device supplying power to the Lumina complains or nags.

20. reloucks

reloucks Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I have had my 2014 v5 for 3 weeks now and love it. No issues at all. The I phone/Bluetooth for music is working great. Tonight I signed up for the Entune thingy & personally don't use any of the options it offers....yet. I have been following this post for sometime now and have, at least cant remember seeing it, but does the Bluetooth use your data plan? The other stuff will, I know. I have a 2010 Tundra and it does not so one would think this would not either. A yes or no it all I am looking for in the way of an answer

CanuckPT likes this.