1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Entune text messages on iphone 2012

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by benalexe, Aug 3, 2014.

1. benalexe

benalexe Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

I have a 2012 Plug In prius with the standard entune audio system. On the toyota Entune web site it says that I will be able to ready my text message on the screen of my enturn. However when I go to the settings on the screen they are greyed out.

On a side note- On my GMC ACADIA the text messages come through the screen and there is even a button on the screen you can hit and it will read them to you while you are driving?

2. 'E'

'E' Erik

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    On your iPhone Go to Settings-> Bluetooth and touch the "i" that's next to the listing for your car. Make sure "show notifications" is activated on that screen.

3. PriusC_Commuter

PriusC_Commuter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    While we're on this topic, does anyone know how to increase the volume when it reads back an incoming text message? It's so quiet I can never hear it when traveling at speeds. I've tried using the volume knob but that doesn't seem to work.

4. Squirt

Squirt Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I think it may be tied to the navigation volume. Just a guess..

Venue 8 Pro 5830 ?

5. benalexe

benalexe Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Nope tried that... does not read back text messages :-(

Could it be because I have a 2012 model? Have they changed it much or are they all this crappy?

6. PriusC_Commuter

PriusC_Commuter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    What version of Entune are you running? I'm on 3.1.0

7. 'E'

'E' Erik

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Works fine on mine. Same model year.

8. SAronian

SAronian Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not sure about the Base model, but on the Advanced model it is under Phone Settings / Messaging Settings / Message Readout Volume. Kind of buried.

9. PhilBlank

PhilBlank Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I tried this tip today (setting the Bluetooth settings in the phone) and it worked great. Even got text messages while driving on the freeway. Can't respond (other than with Siri (I don't think)) but it was pretty cool.

Thank you all!!

10. bfd

bfd Plug-In Perpetuator

Close to SDSU in the Far Southwest Corner of Cali
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Entune on the Advanced has canned responses, but the response system doesn't work with iPhones and iOS. Some blame Apple. I blame Toyota. Ultimately, they share blame. My guess is that the system works perfectly with a Blackberry or Treo. LOL

Toyota has signed on for CarPlay by Apple, but it's yet to be determined whether this will bear any fruit for current Entune users.

11. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    +1 Both the phone/messaging functionality and the Entune apps worked great on my Blackberry. The irony of the Entune app is that Toyota refused to provide a version of the app for newer Blackberry OS versions, so I had to sideload the version for an older OS, which worked just fine. The messaging even supported e-mail, with multiple mailbox support. Unfortunately, I really wanted apps that just weren't available on Blackberry, and deserted ship to Android, and am just dealing with the inferior messaging support on Android. (I never have had an iOS device, so I cannot speak to how they work.)

Just a nit on terminology. Entune refers to the media apps such as Pandora and OpenTable, and talks to an app on a smartphone. The phone/messaging functionality interfaces with the Bluetooth support deep in the operating system of the phone. You don't need a smartphone to get this, just a phone that supports the required Bluetooth profiles. My wife's simple flip phone hooks up nicely to the phone functionality in the car, including contact lists. On the car side, Entune support and phone/messaging support are two entirely different software packages, and are independently updated.

Getting software updates from the dealer for the display system is a major production training the dealership people. There is:

1) The core system, which provides the Bluetooth/phone/messaging/mediaplayer support.

2) Something called "Grace Notes", which I have never figured out what it is.

3) The Entune support on the car (updated over the air through your smartphone).

4) The Entune app on the smartphone (obtained from your phone's app store).

5) The map data updates (which costs $$).

#11 CharlesH, Aug 6, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  12. zhenya

zhenya Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I get the notification ('new text message') on my '13 Base, but I have never been able to figure out how to get it to read the message. Latest version of iOS, latest version of Entune.

13. Camfab

Camfab Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    I just tried it today for the first time and it worked! To actually read the text you just touch the phone icon to the right of your Nav screen. You'll see a messaging option. Thank you for the tip on turning on the notifications in the phone menu!

trentofdestiny likes this.
  14. bfd

bfd Plug-In Perpetuator

Close to SDSU in the Far Southwest Corner of Cali
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Gracenote is the database accessed through Entune to recognize and retrieve album names and tracks on an album so they can be displayed. In something like iTunes, it also connects the user to album cover art. Looks like only the most recent (13 and 14) models are actually Gracenote enabled.

Gracenote | Case Studies - Toyota

CharlesH likes this.