1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Enviro-Pics from Monterey Coastling

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by F8L, Mar 23, 2008.

1. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I know some of you expressed interest whenever I post pics from field trips and some even admitted to reliving old memories via such pictures.

A coastal ecology field trip from Moss Landing to Big Sur. (reduced in size)

Waterfall near Julia Pheiffer Burns State Park
    [​IMG]

Maybe a Blister Beetle? I have to look this one up
    [​IMG]

Caterpillar of some type. Have to look this one up too.
    [​IMG]

Elephant Seal pups at Ano Nuevo State Park
    [​IMG]

Fern Frond in the dark
    [​IMG]

2. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Green Hairstreak Butterfly taken at the overlook at Phieffer State Park
    [​IMG]

Lupine pod
    [​IMG]

He is a messy eater (Canada Goose)
    [​IMG]

Mini canyon on the shoreline
    [​IMG]

Paintbrush sp.
    [​IMG]

3. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Pigeon Point Lighthouse
    [​IMG]

California Poppy in the morning mist
    [​IMG]

Anemone (I stuck my tongue in one on Day#1 and it hurt the rest of the week)
    [​IMG]

Can you see what I saw?
    [​IMG]

Thistle at Sunset Beach State Park
    [​IMG]

4. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Tiny Urchin and Bat Star
    [​IMG]

Some invasive specie but it was pretty. :)
    [​IMG]

Thistle top (bad lighting but neat to look at)
    [​IMG]

Small flower at Elkhorn Slough State Park
    [​IMG]

I'll have a name for this by thursday. Promise! :)
    [​IMG]

5. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    F8L, WHY did you stick your tongue in an anemone??
    Was this some sort of Biology class hazing?
    Someone put you up to it?
    You thought it looked edible?

First of all, EWWWWWWWWW.... second, in case you haven't yet put 2 + 2 together, anemones protect themselves by STINGING... and they kill their food by STINGING... so, there it was, minding its own business, and here comes your tongue (OMG), and it thinks "Wow, that's a huge lunch! I'm gonna get me some" OR "OMG we're all going to DIE!!" and then stung you.

Okay... but... EEEWWWWWWW.... LOL

Great photos, btw...

6. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The nematocysts in most of the anemonies we usually find around here are not sufficient to break the skin on your hand enough to cause any pain. So a few of us dared the each other to test a decidedly more delicate tissue for testing purposes.... Our tongues. The first small anemone I err umm tongued didn't really have an affect on me but after some brave talk I decided to try a larger green enemone. It was not bad for a few moments then :eek:! I ended up with small blisters on my my tongue and the sensation similar to when you burn the tip of your tongue with hot liquid. It lasted for almost a week. I know it was stupid but hind sight is 20/20 right? :D

7. Jack66

Jack66 Kinda Jovial Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Beautiful pictures, F8L. What gear are you using for your pictures?

BTW, I totally understood your explanation for the tongue incident but now I have to use you as an example for my kids tomorrow -- Girls, I know you probably want to stick your tongue on a sea anenome but don't be stupid...:D

8. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks a lot Jack! Haha

I'm using a 2yr old? Nikon CoolPix S4 point and shoot. It is not very fancy but works well for a pocket camera. I still have not purchased the reflector that Evan recommended and I kick myself everytime I go out for not doing so. :rolleyes: It does pretty well with macro shots but terrible in low light situations compared to my friends cameras (both are part-time photographers as seen here arguing over who gets the best lighting lol).

[​IMG]

Swiveled
    [​IMG]

9. Jack66

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Really great shots, F8L. My two girls will love your pictures and I will try not to enjoy using you as an example when describing the proper use of scientific method. BTW, I stuck a twist drill into an electrical socket when I was younger so I can't claim to be any smarter. I also dug up a dead rabbit the neighborhood kids had buried and put it on my pillow at home because I thought it was just asleep. My mom had to burn the sheets.

10. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Jack, I think it's great you're taking them out there so use my as an example if it means keeping them safe. :) As for the dead bunny rabbit.. Yuck! lol

You might even get their minds working by having them search for fossil tracks in the rocks (if your area has them and it doesn't go against your religious beliefs). Many of the students on our trip rather enjoyed the ones we found. :)

Likely fossilized crab tracks
    [​IMG]

11. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i'm just glad you're not a medicinal chemist or pharmacologist (or worse, toxicologist) offering yourself up for experimentation. :lol:

seriously, beautiful shots. but keep your tongue in your mouth next time.

12. Jack66

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Please recommend any areas you hear of in the middle of the east coast. Right now we go to the Smithsonian to see the past and the acquariums to see what's current.

On a friendly note, fossils aren't against my religion. I am a non-denominational Christian that believes in Creation. Funny thing, I don't think science and Creation are mutually exclusive. In fact, I believe whole-heartedly that science will ultimately agree with Creation theory. Nothing like a litmus test for God but I believe the laws of Physics will bear Creation out in time. I believe everyone should ask questions with an open mind and continually re-evaluate their conclusions when their starting assumptions prove inadequate or flawed (mine included). I don't claim to uderstand science or Creation, but as a mathematician and scientist I think it is easy to ignore assumptions about science made a long time ago and come up with decent answers for the wrong reasons.

As far as my kids are concerned, I would be mortified if they took my beliefs and blindly made them their own. I want them to do their own research and reach their own opinions. I listen to their arguments if they disagree with me and I enjoy getting their viewpoints on things. They don't always change my mind but it is wonderful when they do.