1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ESC - multiple modes? I experienced something weird while hydroplaning.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by partipilo, Aug 25, 2009.

1. partipilo

partipilo Weirdo

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    It has been raining like CRAZY today. I am used to the usual yellowish-orange ESC light in the instrument cluster when I hit a bump in the road or whatnot. However MASSIVE rain today, and im going down the highway, and the car starts hydroplaning and going to the side, and automatically braking, and I swear I heard the computer beeping like a 5 alarm fire. It all happened so fast. Was I tripping out?

2. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good thing the car is smarter than the driver...

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The beeping and braking was from the VSC system, or Vehicle Stability Control. It will lower the power setting and brake individual wheels as necessary to try and keep the car going straight. The beeping was a warning to you that it had activated.

Note that this is different than traction control, which is what actives when losing traction while braking or accelerating.

Tom

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What you're used to - traction control

what freaked you out - vehicle stability control. You were going too fast for the conditions and when the car started to hydroplane, the computers stepped in to keep the car on track.