1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EV shown and real mile travel on EV

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by LA2014Prius, Jun 16, 2014.

1. LA2014Prius

LA2014Prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hi Everyone,

Sorry, I search but couldn't find anything. I thought I saw a post on this.

I live in Los Angeles, weather about the same. I park my car outside my house and charge by running extension wires (12 gauge). I have my PIP for 1.5 months. When I first got it and charge it, I got around 12.x EV miles, then 14.x EV miles but for some reason it show 12.x EV miles for the last new days...

I drove around with EV mode only with AC on yesterday after a full charge that shown 12.x EV mile and I only got 9.x miles before running out of EV juices and ICE kicks in.

Has anyone try and see their real EV miles?

Thanks in advance.

2. rxlawdude

rxlawdude Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Tesla Model S
    Silly question: were you using A/C (actually any of the climate controls like fan even without the A/C) when you saw the 14.x miles? Are you now using A/C? That would explain the difference.

I have a very precise route down the hill from my house to my old place I'm selling. 8.4 miles round trip, but a significant hill between them and a 50mph speed limit up and down the hill. With A/C on, I routinely make the round trip with .5-1.5 estimated remaining. On a mild day like today, I did the round trip and had 4.9 miles left. Considering this ain't flat terrain and has speeds >45mph, I'm very happy with the actual range and now tend to ignore the remaining EV mile "guess gauge." (Any long-timer Prius owner recalls that pejorative term for the Gen II gas gauge.)

3. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    There are lots of posts explaining this. Begin with the first page of FAQs about the PiP, about halfway down. Basically, the EV range estimate is just that, an estimate, based on your past driving. It is also affected by temperatures. The actual miles you are able to drive will vary depending on the way you drive on the latest charge, such as demand for power and your speed, along with how much regen you get. I have at times had an EVrange estimate of 15 miles and then driven 16 or 17 miles. But mostly my EV range is around 13, and that's what I get.

4. LA2014Prius

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    On the way to work Mon-Fri I don't turn on the AC because the weather is nice 60-70F. But I always turn on the AC on the way home.

When I drove with EV only yesterday (Sunday), it was almost 12pm and a little warm so I have the AC on.

Thanks Guys, I remember I read somewhere about this and now I know I can find it at FAQ. I know the EV is just an estimate but wondering how come my EV drop lately after a full charge.

BTW, I know I know but I can't leave my charger all night long so I normally charge it when I get home and unplug it and take the charger into my house before 12am.

5. rxlawdude

rxlawdude Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Tesla Model S
    By the way, welcome!

6. LA2014Prius

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks, I have been busy... I will introduce myself soon. :)