1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Exide Battery as Replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by 72fordgts, Aug 15, 2014.

1. 72fordgts

72fordgts Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    My OEM 12V is about 5 years old now and I also drained my batter once. So I decided to replace the 12V now before it becomes an issue. I picked up an Exide FP-AGM51JIS battery on sale (actually a Motomaster version from Canadian tire, but it's the same with a different label).

The new battery fits in perfectly, but the one issue I noticed is the venting seems different. The Exide appears to have two vents (or at least I think they are vents, two small round holes at the top), one on each side, and the holes are smaller. I had some old vacuum hose and adaptors around so I was able to hook up one side for now.

How important is it to have these connected? Don't AGM batteries not vent? This battery supposedly can be mounted in any position and is completely sealed. Anyone install and Exide before?

2. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You should vent the battery because it's inside the car with you. And no, it's not completely sealed unless you cap off both vent holes.

I bought an Exide Edge battery and did not have any issues when swapping out the OEM Toyota GS Yuasa battery. The Exide battery I bought had a vent elbow taped to it. All I needed to do was install the new elbow on the vent hose and plug it in to the battery vent hole. The other side had a cap (if I remember correctly). I kept the OEM vent elbow just in case I ever need it again.

3. Roland1555

Roland1555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    As jadziasman says.... take the time to hook up the vent since the battery shares the same airspace with you and yours inside the car.

Years ago, Exide bought Yuasa, the CTC battery you bought is exactly the same size as your OEM was, but has a slightly higher capacity. I hope it gives you a good service life.

Roland

4. energyandair

energyandair Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    What is the Motomaster number or the Canadian tire Number?

5. Roland1555

Roland1555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    It is the Ultra AGM battery, which is not materially different from either the newer dealer sold true starts labelled as Yuasa, or this excide;

Exide AGM Car Battery (Group S46B24R)

MotoMaster Eliminator Ultra Flat Plate AGM Automotive Battery | Canadian Tire

Others have said you have to mess around a little to get the vent hooked up. But it has it.

Interesting to note that you get about a 5 year warranty, in the States, they get a lower price than us here in Canada, and at places like Pep Boys I believe free installation.

Makes you question why anyone would pay double that for the dealer version installed with just 2 more years of warranty tacked on to keep you in their clutches.

I went this way and have been happy thus far, but prefer to say how long something lasts before endorsing it.

8171-767 DS46B24R - AGM Auto Battery

Again, to each his own, and prices are better south of the line as a rule.

Roland

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. 72fordgts

72fordgts Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Roland posted the part I bought.

I did hook up the one vent, on the same side as the factory battery. I had to use a new smaller elbow, like I said from some old vacuum hose connectors I had around my garage (my hobby is vintage cars). I just thought it was weird there are two vents on this battery. I think I will have to buy some hose and hook up the far side by the by the neg terminal. I figure this is a better solution than plugging the vent. For whatever reason CTC does not give any new elbows or plugs for the battery.

I got the battery for $159. I hope it lasts a while, but at least it has a full five year warranty. I am on good terms with the local CTC as my workplaces services our fleet there, so if there is an issue it shouldn't be a problem to get a new one. I likely will have moved to a newer car buy then. Other than the difference in the vent size and the fact that there are two vents, the battery seems to be an excellent alternative to OEM.

7. Siward

Siward Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm thinking of getting the same battery in the future as I am also in Canada. I wonder how reliable these batteries are.

The alternatives are the Optima battery and the Toyota OEM one.
    Another battery for the Prius. | PriusChat

#7 Siward, Aug 15, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
  8. Roland1555

Roland1555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Hopefully they will all give you a good service life, and maybe longer than the OEM unit did.

Only they Optima has a different construction, but as to the importance of better vibration damage in terms of our cars, I cannot see that as being as important a factor as it might be in an off road vehicle where Optimas are popular upgrades.

They might have a slight advantage in high heat zones as air can move between the spiral columns with the plates wound up like a twinkie or some such snack, but again ?????

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe the 2 vents on the Exide/Motomaster battery are just to improve compatibility: use whichever is closest to your vent tubing, block the other.

72fordgts, how is that battery working for you? Is the right one: Motomaster Eliminator Ultra model 10-5122?

I'm kinda motivated to buy from Canadian Tire since I can get gift cards for that retailer, essentially get the battery for free.

The Canadian Tire website is useless: lots of broken links. There's one to check compatibility, broken too.

#9 Mendel Leisk, Jan 12, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
  10. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Avi's Advanced Automotive Independent hybrid repair shop

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    For some reason, Exide puts the vent on the wrong side. Both sides have holes. All you need to do is swap the vent elbow and plug to the opposite sides.

Avi

Fostel and Mendel Leisk like this.
  11. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Or connect Toyota's original vent hose to both vent holes through a "T" fitting?

12. 72fordgts

72fordgts Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    So far so good with the Motomaster/Exide (it was 10-5122 I bought). The car lives in a garage most of the time (heated) but has been outside all day at near -30C and no issues whatsoever. I however did not see any change in MPG's with the new battery. I would buy one again without hesitation, especially since I have always had good luck with CTC and warranty claims.

#12 72fordgts, Jan 13, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Roland, thanks for those links. I'm considering the MotoMaster battery, found the Canadian Tire website hopeless. I don't believe it's possible to get to the above page, going through the links on their site.

14. Roland1555

Roland1555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    I was going to buy the battery from Canadian Tire... just that the only stock I found in several stores around here were too old, and had not been periodically charged to keep healthy.
    I brought a multi=meter along with me that gave me voltage and saw low readings. Despite the low sale prices at the time, turned out that I ordered the Optima from Saskbattery and got one factory fresh and it has been great. Not my first choice to be sure, but I'm happy.
    FWIW I found our batteries at Cambie downtown and at Grandview. I thought with all the Prii cabs and private vehicles running around here there would be better supply.

Hope you get a good one, I'd have been pleased if I could at the time I changed mine out.

Roland

15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You read my mind, lol. Using your direct link (and again, can't find any way to navigate from Canadian Tire home page) I see there's currently 7 available at Cambie and 7th. But I was thinking also to bring along a meter.

Our 12 volt's been stubbornly hanging around 12.39 volts, even after an occasional hook up to the CTEK. About a week back I took it right out, charged it in the house at room temp, cleaned the posts and cable clamps. Now it seems to have stabilized around 12.6, a good sign. So it may still be ok, just needed that, not sure.

When I do buy, I might just throw in the towel, get OEM Yuasa. Westminster Toyota was about $10 cheaper than Open Road Toyota (near us). I'm a little fuzzy, but it was maybe $205 vs $215.

#15 Mendel Leisk, Jan 18, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
  16. Roland1555

Roland1555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Likely it is still okay. My Yuasa when I took it out of the car and charged it up with the ctek also checked out good. I changed out more as a matter of prevention, rather than absolute need at the time. Periods of low use with the leg surgeries I had led to lower than normal voltage levels, especially when tested under the hood.
    The more revealing test was with the clore unit I have that gives you cold cranking amps, not as important with our cars when compared to most with typical starter motors driven by the 12 volt, but still a better indicator of battery health than voltage alone. The Yuasa battery while still a pass after 5 years and a recharge, was far lower than the Optima's numbers. I did not bring the clore to Canadian Tire with me to test shelf batteries before buying, it is too new and looks like something that I could have taken off their shelf, but I don't know if they sell the thing. My multimeter is old and ratty enough looking so that anybody could see it was my personal property. It would have been interesting to see if the cca's of the Exide based battery was as high as the Optima. Some alloy is used in the plates of the square battery, while Johnson claims plain lead is all you need in the plates of the Optima that survive bumps and vibrations because they are wound spirally instead of hung flat. They seem to allude to better electrical transfer properties if I recall the advertising spiel correctly.
    However, I would have bought the CTC unit regardless if they were not neglected, dusty and many months old... The dealers may have a rep coming in to do swaps, charges and maintenance on the batteries, where no such services were done at the CTC stores I visited.
    I always felt that 5-7 years was about the time to look at battery replacement growing up back east with colder temps than locally, with conventional cars, not the Prius. I first started working when I was 15 at a Canadain Tire, and later when in college I was assistant manager at a Uniroyal car center and learned more about car care. My personal experience with 2 's' class Mercedes I owned, a 72 and 76 when I was young and foolish, was that their batteries lasted only about 2 years if you were lucky. Both cars had 4.5 v8's and in those years the battery lived inside the hot engine room. They later added a secondary firewall and placed the batteries there between it and the passenger compartment wall. Slightly cooler there. Those big Varta batteries were not cheap either as I recall.
    If you install the battery yourself, then $200 is right on.

Roland

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  17. mayanktanwar

mayanktanwar New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I used only Exide batteries in my car. Few days ago my car battery not working well and recently i installed Exide Mileage FMI0-MI40LBH 35Ah left layout battery. I bought Exide car battery online at BatteryBhai. This is very good portal and have all the range of exide batteries on lowest prices as compared to local dealers.