1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fading/fogging headlights

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by yamisoshi, Dec 5, 2013.

1. yamisoshi

yamisoshi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    This isn't about the condensation build up due to faulty headlights, but the plastic on the headlights seems to be "fogging" white quicker than any other car I've owned. Anyone else have this issue on their 2010 Prius? I've only had the car since February of 2010 and already in less than 4 years, the plastic housing is starting to fade white. I see other people's 2010 in this forum and see no problems.

2. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have just begun to notice the tops of mine closest to the engine have begun to discolor.

I just completed the restoration of my wife's 2007 Honda Accord headlights. So yes the Prius headlights are fading at a quicker rate than my other cars.

3. TsKarma

TsKarma Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Do you park in the garage/car port away from direct sunlight? Just wondering if that has to do with it.

4. Jose456891

Jose456891 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like element damage from UV and other abrasives.

I would just polish the plastic and apply a wax or other clear substance over them.

5. yamisoshi

yamisoshi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

I park in the garage during fall, winter and spring months; but during the summer it's outside. Plus I park my car outside at work and is in direct sunlight for greater part of the morning and early afternoon.

I did some research and it appears toothpaste with whitening formula works best. No reason to spend $10-$25 on products you won't know how it will turn out.

6. Jose456891

Jose456891 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe that's an urban legend . If you want to spend money there are kits that they sell in Autozone that have 3m dry/wet sanding materials and a finishing polisher. They even sell power drill attachments.

I suggest that if you are going to spend money, spend it wisely and buy a polishing kit.

Then I would buy a spray-on clear coat w/ UV protection; it sounds adventurous but this will give you a long-lasting clear shine.

7. yamisoshi

yamisoshi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

I'll try it and see how it fairs. :)

8. Jose456891

Jose456891 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model: