1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Failed Inverter: Check Hybrid System Error U0110 Lost Communication W/ Drive Motor Cntrl Mod A

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by jwedel, May 21, 2014.

1. jwedel

jwedel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I am an original owner of a 2010 Prius III with 73k miles on it without an extended warranty. I put on 160 hwy miles a day and have never had any issues with it. I had the recent software update recall done two months ago and two days ago after stopping at the post office, hopped back in the car and was unable to get the car into "ready" mode. The "Check Hybrid System" light came on and the car would only shift into Neutral. I had the car towed to my local toyota dealer (Pederson in Fort Collins, CO) and had to beg them to even pull the codes after 24 hours of it sitting on their lot. Still hasn't been in the shop and likely won't for another few days. Not sure if this is typical but it isn't what I expect from Toyota Service. Anyway, the car only had one error code which was U0110 -Lost Communication With Drive Motor Control Module "A". The guys in service said they had never seen this code before and it would likely be at least 4 hours of diagnostic time at 110/hr. Again, never owning a car that had to be serviced at a dealer, this seems ridiculous to me.

It seems as though a lot of people have similar issues but I've never heard this code mentioned. I'm not confident is toyota's ability to efficiently diagnose the problem based on the forums I've read - not sure what to do.. this is really killing my perception of the prius and toyota as a whole. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I really can't afford to spend thousands on Toyota diagnostics and would rather do the work myself if I figure out whats wrong with it.

2. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  3. numba41

numba41 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Could be a weak 12v auxiliary battery. It causes issues that are not necessarily picked up by DTC codes. If it's the battery, replace and do a communication ID registration. I posted the one for Gen 2 models below because that's what I have but could be similar for Gen 3's. I had a similar issue and this corrected it. Runs great now.

8. ECU COMMUNICATION ID REGISTRATION (TRANSPONDER KEY ECU - HYBRID VEHICLE CONTROL ECU): PROCEDURE "E"
    NOTICE:
    • If the transponder key ECU and/or hybrid vehicle control ECU has been replaced, register the ECU communication ID to both ECUs in order to match their IDs.
    • The hybrid control system cannot be started unless the ECU communication ID matches.
    • When the transponder key ECU has been replaced, do not turn the power switch from ON to OFF 20 times or more consecutively. The ECU communication ID must be registered before such an occurrence or the transponder key ECU will need to be replaced. If the transponder key ECU is unable to be recognize the hybrid vehicle control ECU, the hybrid control system will be unable to be started. If the transponder key ECU cannot recognize the hybrid vehicle control ECU, the transponder key ECU must be replaced again with a new one.
    • After the registration, pressing the power switch may not start the system on the first try. If so, press the poser switch again.
    • After the hybrid control system is started, erase DTC B2799 (code for hybrid vehicle control ECU's immobiliser communication error) using either of the following:
      - Using the intelligent tester [​IMG] .
      - Disconnect the battery for 30 seconds.
    (a) Register the ECU communication ID.
    (b) Using SST, connect terminals TC and CG of the DLC3.
    SST: 09843-18040
    [​IMG]
    (c) Turn the power switch ON (IG) (do not start the hybrid control system) and leave it as is for 30 minutes.
    (d) Turn the power switch OFF and disconnect terminals TC and CG.
    (e) Check that the hybrid control system starts.

telmo744 likes this.
  4. jwedel

jwedel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've accidentally drained the battery down to where the car wouldn't start and I received a similar if not the same warning light over a year ago, but at that point, none of the accessories (radio, gps, lights) would work.

Currently I have full power to all accessories so the 12v is obviously not dead.. Would all of the accessories continue to function normally under a weakened but not dead battery?

5. numba41

numba41 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Yes. All my accessories worked fine but the battery was showing around 11.4 volts when it should be around 12.7 or so. Search for how to access the battery voltage check on the center screen.

6. jwedel

jwedel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for the info - the dealer pulled it into the shop before I could get my hands on it. I mentioned your thoughts above and he said he didn't think it had to do with the aux battery. They spent 2.5 hours on it and plan to continue tomorrow morning with no end in sight.

Is it a coincidence that the computer that isn't communicating is the same one that was just serviced with the software update 2 months ago? I'm curious to see if similar experiences will pop-up as more people have the update done.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i hope all their 'research' is under warranty.:eek:

8. canta

canta Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    found on the net:
    U0110- Lost Communication with Drive Motor Control Module “A”

Description:
    If any Traction Motor DMoC CAN message is arriving too slow, or any message is not being received at all, this fault will set. The vehicle will be set to a “Forced Conventional Mode” and The HYBRID SERVICE light will be on solid.

Possible Causes:

· CAN terminator resistor failure CAN 2.
    · Faulty traction DMoC.
    · Failed 12 volt power or grounds to ISG DMoC.
    · Wiring or connection problems.

this seems Traction Motor ECU does not send message correctly. I would assume on failed 12V Battery or loose wiring connectors.

9. Mr.Electric

Mr.Electric Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I think this post hits the nail on the head. Does it seem like you cycled the ignition about 20 times since the update was performed? If so the hv ecu is not talking because it needs your key code registered. You get 20 on/off cycles before the unregistered hv ecu locks up.

10. jwedel

jwedel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've cycled the ignition at least 50+ times since the update.

The dealership is now telling me the diagnostics alone will be 600+ and they haven't found anything yet but they've given me an offer to "trade it in as-is because it could be very expensive to fix"... This is starting to seem very shady.

I'm unsure whether any of these costs will be covered by the hybrid system warranty..

11. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Very shady... Call Toyota customer service and open a case

energyandair and telmo744 like this.
  12. Mr.Electric

Mr.Electric Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I saw that same code after an inverter failure on a hylander hybrid.

13. Mr.Electric

Mr.Electric Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    What I mean is did you cycle the ignition about 20 times from the update until the car failed?

14. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like very expensive troubleshooting is to be expected. I that was me, I would check 12V battery and all wiring first (and apply dielectric grease on all connections) before towing to a stealership.

I hope this is not one of the errors that one gets from something plugged in the OBD2 port.

15. jwedel

jwedel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Dealership came back today and said they believe it is the inverter.. luckily it is covered under warranty however, from what I've read on here, it seems they often misdiagnose the inverter.. Transaxle definitely isn't covered under warranty.

I'm not sure if this is a fluke or a lemon - sad to do this at 73k miles but I think I'm going to trade it in for a new one with an ext. warranty.

16. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So instead of them fixing your car for free, you going to take a huge lose and trade it in? So they get to make thousands off your car and the new one they sell you?

sfv41901 and telmo744 like this.
  17. Southbound

Southbound Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well said.

sfv41901 likes this.
  18. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    +1

VS980 4G ?

19. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    U realize that u won't get much 4 a trade in for a non-working vehicle. Then their gonna get u to buy a new car. Once ur gone, they will fix ur old prius that's covered under the hybrid warranty. ......at no cost to them & turn around & sell it. Sounds like the only winner will be the dealer.

VS980 4G ?

20. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    I think the OP is thinking of having the vehicle repair and then trade it in......:rolleyes: