1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Faulty Spiral Cable

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Brandi, Nov 4, 2014.

1. Brandi

Brandi New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just got off the phone with Toyota and my 2010 Prius is not included in this recall that basically impacted every other Toyota model made during the same time:
    TORRANCE, Calif., April 9, 2014 – Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc. today announced that it will conduct a voluntary safety recall involving approximately 1.3 million vehicles, including certain Model Year 2009-2010 Corolla, 2009-2010 Matrix, 2008-2010 Highlander, 2009-2010 Tacoma, 2006-2008 RAV4 and 2006-2010 Yaris vehicles.

The driver’s airbag module in the involved vehicles is attached to a spiral cable assembly with electrical connections that could become damaged when the steering wheel is turned. If this occurs, the air bag warning lamp will illuminate. In addition, the driver’s air bag could become deactivated, causing it to not deploy in the event of a crash.

This part is going to cost be $750 to replace. The woman from Toyota said that they will initiate a recall if enough Prius owners call in. Not sure what that number has to be but I am so irritated that I have to pay this out of pocket when apparently it was an issue for all other makes/models during the same period!
    Anyone else out there with a 2009 - 2011 Prius that had to get a Faulty Spiral Cable replaced? I urge you to call Toyota and open a case!!

2. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Do you mean the clockspring?

3. Brandi

Brandi New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    On other threads I saw the terms used interchangeably so yes? The dealer told me Spiral Cable.

The airbag light is on and the steering wheel makes a bad sound when you turn it:(

#3 Brandi, Nov 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2014