1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First highway trip, got 57.2 mpg!!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by magarmuch, Feb 29, 2012.

1. magarmuch

magarmuch Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I am so satisfied with my purchase, 2011 Gen III with Nav. package. Drove from Richmond, VA to Baltimore, MD on I95. Temperature at beginning of trip in the low 50, by the end of the trip it had dropped to the low 40. All highway driving returned an overall 57.2mpg with an average of 60mph. Car had a 1000 miles on it. Wonder if mileage will improve further after the car is fully "broken in"? :)

Attached Files:

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nice results!

Wait until warmer summer weather. You will likely be able to achieve 60mpg+ on the same drive. Tire rolling resistance goes down in warmer weather, some areas switch to summer blend fuel, air resistance goes down and the HV battery works more efficiently in warmer temps.

If I get a new 2012 I'm hoping for 60+ with my freeway commutes. My high summer average is 55mpg-57mpg during the summer in my GenII. It takes some effort though.

3. ChipL

ChipL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Congrats! I just took delivery on the 27th of my 2012 Prius and racked up my first 211 miles working out to about 65% highway getting 50.25mpg on the fill up.

Before some chuckle about filling up so soon... Had .60 cent discount at my local Sunco station that expired tonight. So my fiancé and I filled up my Prius and their Yaris - all for $35. Life is good...

4. gramps

gramps Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Filled up yesterday at $4.29 $32 for my 09 Prius, I am dreading the next fill up on my wife's SUV.:(

5. alfon

alfon Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Gas here is mostly at about $3.99 / gallon. Costco
    has the best price, as of yesterday, $3.849 / gallon.

One way trips when you are looking for MPG are
    not as true as a round trip. For instance when
    I left Seaside for Longview Washington a few days ago, I reset
    trip meter, I had 61 mpg indicated on the gauge at Longview. When I returned home it was now reading 55.5 mpg, about 52
    mpg true.

6. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It;ll get a little better probably. 57.2 is EXACTLY my best MPG EVER with my Prius, but that was calculated .... the display always says about 2.2-2.4 MPG high for me and I've calculated it every tankful for the first 25K miles. Mine was on a drive from Eastern PA to our other home in OC MD.

Congratulations on some great MPG's.

REV

7. NineScorpions

NineScorpions Economy, Meet Style!!

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Excellent numbers for sure, I am jealous! Just like stated above, keep in mind that on average your read-out MPG is about 3MPG above the real MPG if you calculate it manually. Most likely...you have 54PMPG. But holy smokes, that is still way good mileage and way ahead of me :(

8. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Did you go through DE to get there? I always take RTE 13 going that direction because I can go 60 if I want, not get run off the road, and get excellent FE. It also has very convenient places to stop if there's a need :). Ironically, my best 1 way MPG was from outside Dover back home, and included a torrential thunderstorm. When I got home, the MFD stated 62.8 MPG! I did have several stretches of going 50 MPH due to the weather, but typically that type of weather offsets it in other ways.

9. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    At least you were not on one of the bikes on that trip! :eek:

10. ChipL

ChipL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not going to miss fill-up my old Baja at about 20mpg on my commute. Looking solid at 50mpg so far in just a few days with the new ride here....