1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First impressions of our new (to us) Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Keywhiz, Nov 11, 2014.

1. Keywhiz

Keywhiz New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Bought a 2012 Blizzard Pearl Prius 2 for the wife a few weeks back. Only 17K miles on it, so it feels like a virtually new car.

We took it on its first long road trip last week: a 6-day, 825m trip from Carson City, NV to Santa Cruz, CA and back with a good deal of driving around the Monterey Bay area.

Gotta say I like the car! Not a luxury car by any means, nor a sports car, but it was an easy and enjoyable car to drive. It handled well over the mountains, without any issues with being sluggish. As economy cars go, this one does just fine! Not the smoothest or most quiet ride, but I didn't expect that either.

The first thing you notice when you're driving a Prius (I think) is how many other Prius' there are on the road. Even in rather conservative/rednecky northern Nevada, there are quite a few. Pointing out the other Prius' became a game for the wife and myself. We said "there's a Prius!" a LOT. Especially by the time we got to Santa Cruz. The day trip to Carmel was ridiculous. Seemed like every 3rd car was a Prius.

And this stuff about Prius drivers being the slowest on the road? I didn't see it. We were all passing each other left and right.

I didn't go out of my way to drive as fuel efficiently as possible, but still my calculations were that we got about 48.5 MPG over the course of the trip. I'll take that. About two tanks of gas which is about $55 these days. We had glasses of wine that were nearly that much!

HaroldW, KennyGS, matt b. and 5 others like this.
  2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats and welcome to PriusChat!

matt b. likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't know if it's the styling, but sometimes i feel like i see more pri than any other model car on the road.

4. Keywhiz

Keywhiz New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, it IS the best selling car in California for a few years now, so no doubt there are a LOT of them there. But also it's just that "if you're looking for it you'll think you see it more often" mental thing. Like seeing the number 23 more often than any other prime number or something.

And yes...they DO stand out! :love:

5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I believe the Prius has lost it's crown in CA to the Accord

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    and yet, i don't feel like i see that many accords. maybe it's because there are ten years of similar pri and everything else changes more dramatically.

7. Keywhiz

Keywhiz New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If I owned an Accord and was thusly on the lookout for them, I'd probably see more. I see a lot of RAV4s (one of my other cars) as well.

8. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I am also a recent addition to the new-to-me Generation III group. Upgraded from my 2008 Prius with 190K miles after starting to worry about expensive repairs. Found a very nice 2011 package 3 which I've been driving for a week now. Great car. Not too much different from the 2008. Studied the owner's manuals, one for the car and the other for the stereo, Bluetooth phone, navigation, chief cook and bottle washer. Have been looking back in the PC Generation III archive and getting some good information. No questions yet. Comments, hmm. The oil change deal is a little troubling. Not in the manual and a bit more difficult since the spin-on oil filter has been replaced with a cartridge. I like the no fan belt deal. Electric coolant pump and A/C compressor should be more reliable and trouble-free now. I guess the only place you can actually see your MPG is on one of the trip odometers. There doesn't appear to be a dedicated screen with the instantaneous and average MPG value like in the 2008. I know, just drive it.

#8 AzWxGuy, Nov 11, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ours is a hycam, hardly see any.

10. Keywhiz

Keywhiz New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey, that brings up a question (that I could probably find in the manual, but might be easier to just ask here). I don't see where it calculates MPG for a "Trip". I get the fuel cost (if I remember to enter it after each fill up), but I couldn't find MPG anywhere other than the calculation it gives you for each 'leg'.

Is that something that isn't on the Model Two?

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you have to reset trip a or b.

12. Keywhiz

Keywhiz New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, but where does it show the MPG of each trip?

13. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I reset my "A" trip meter every morning to calculate the daily mpg total.

I reset the "B" trip meter at the gas station to calculate the mpg of each tank fill-up.

14. Keywhiz

Keywhiz New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ok, but where does it show the MPG of each trip?

15. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    I got this one...quite simple actually.. Whenever you shut the car down via the start button, your MPG for that trip, the length in time and distance travelled are all displayed on the HSE.

recently I have grown fond of the CAR button on the right side of the radio buttons. It shows Minuit by Minuit consumption display. Pretty cool.

16. CaliforniaBear

CaliforniaBear Clearwater Blue Metallic

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    "Dramatically"... that makes me laugh. Most cars have the same shape and very similar designs these days. Back in the 50's and 60's there were real differences.

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    and 30's and 40's!

retired4999 likes this.
  18. DumbMike

DumbMike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    From my trips to Las Vegas, Nevada, I don't see many Prius on the road. At least with Nevada plates.

Mike

19. Keywhiz

Keywhiz New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There are at least 2 others just on my street here in Carson City. And I see quite a few on my trips to Reno. Not sure about Vegas. Or maybe we just have different definitions of "quite a few".

20. Keywhiz

Keywhiz New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, I know about that. I'm talking about showing the average MPG for the "Trip A" and "Trip B" odometer settings. Not since the last time I turned on the car. For the Trip Odometer settings. Where does it show that?

I've seen a picture of that someone posted here, but I can't figure out which setting it is. All I get is the Trip A or Trip B odometer readings, but not average MPG for Trip A or Trip B.