1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First Oil Change - Pictures/Instructions

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Mr Incredible, Apr 21, 2012.

1. ahmeow

ahmeow Prius Lover

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Nice sharp pictures. All areas were easy to access.
    Why don't you use Mobil 1 Synthetic oil. It's majority of us to use. Last longer. 7500+ miles life.Some change for every 10,000 miles. I use 5W30 while some of us use 0W20 to get more gas mpg. Change every 8000 miles. It's on sale in Costco. I also use the Mobil supreme long life oil filter.

2. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible Chance favors the prepared mind.

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    At the time I purchased the oil, it was the only brand of 0w-20 present. I have been using M1 on subsequent changes. But, really, it doesn't much matter.

3. ahmeow

ahmeow Prius Lover

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The best of M1 is it can last for 7500+ miles between change.
    Of course everyone will have their own choice. Enjoy the new car.

4. cknfts

cknfts Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  5. Mr Incredible

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I have not.

I'll be at the 15k mile change in a week or two. It was one year old on the 4th. I checked the oil last week and it was precisely where it was the last time it checked, etc., right back to where it was right after the 10k mile fill.

This has been through winter, and not being a mpg-centric on the gas pedal.

6. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Some older cars had gasket issues. If you went from a standard oil to a synthetic and then back to a standard, the same situation that you described would occur while on the synthetic.

7. Mr Incredible

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I have heard, and experienced, that M1 has some consumption issues. I believe they were caused by volatility.

I have not experienced this in the C. I got away from M1 in the truck(s), the Z28, and wifes '09 Hatchback, but have started using it again in the '09 Hatchback and my C. Neither of these Prii have experienced any consumption with M1 0w-20 or 0w-30. I may begin using the green cap M1 in the truck and Z28, but I haven't decided yet. Neither get very much use so a decision isn't required at this time.

I do not believe that synthetics guarantee a leak in an older engine. If there's a leak (which older cars will have) then you will most certainly get a leak with a synthetic. Maybe even more. But if you have an engine that is tight there is little chance you will spring a leak if you go to a synthetic. It may, but most likely will not.

I have experienced the phenomenom on my '83 KZ1100. When I use conventional oil the head gasket does not leak. WHen I use Rotella 5w-40 T5 (or T6...whichever it is) it will weep and drip. I have not experienced this in any other vehicles when I changed over to synthetics.

8. cknfts

cknfts Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  9. Mr Incredible

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Synthetic. Their oil is very good. No reason not to use it.

10. Conor

Conor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Super anal for an oil change. The Prius C is a Yaris hybrid. Change the oil every 5,000 miles, drive the piss out of it and reap the savings! It's really cut-and-dry as well as time-honored. The car's drivetrain is basically 15 years old, rugged and bulletproof.

p.s. You should be using about 3.9 qts of oil. ;)

The Prius C uses the ancient 1NZFXE with few modifications. They didn't so much go "back" to canister filters as "go back" to using a 15 year old engine design to save money and offer a super-cheap hybrid econobox.

spiderman likes this.
  11. Mr Incredible

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I have since decided that 4.0 qts is optimal for my needs. Any tiny bit over the full mark/hole is not worth the time and effort to make it precisely at the hole.

Some times only perfect is good enough, sometimes good enough is perfect.

12. XRinger

XRinger Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for posting this guide. Our fist warning message "Maintenance Required Soon"
    has been spooking my wife. So, I reset it last week.. :)

Old age and illness has slowed us down a little, so it took my wife about 15 months to rack up 5,000 miles.
    After looking at the maintenance schedule, We decided the first tire rotation should be followed
    by some fresh Synthetic oil and filter.

For $31.01 Amazon Prime sent us: Eneos (3230310) API SN/ILSAC GF-5 Certified 0W-20 Fully Synthetic Motor Oil - 1 Gallon
    I already had a spare filter left over from the trade-in (2003 Corolla). & and right filter wrench.

Used the Prius jack with a low jack-stand on the right side. Got some splash from the filter, but not super messy.
    Pulled the drain bolt without too much fuss. Used disposable rubber gloves.
    (Used a 3" socket extension on filter socket).

Used a DIY funnel to add one gallon of Eneos, and after driving around the block, waiting 20 minutes, the level is just under the top mark.

Now, we can drive in peace, waiting for the next message! :)

My wife is still loving her C2.. I can tell, because she washes it all the time.. :)

minkus and B2FiNiTY like this.
  13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    ^ What's your schedule say? 5000 miles or six months? I think the car's message is only based on mileage.

That said, with extremely low mileage, you can fudge it a bit. ;)

ztanos likes this.
  14. XRinger

XRinger Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah, it said '5000 miles or six months'. So, we rotated the tires. Then, looked at the next one on the list (10,000 miles and another tire rotation?)
    and it said 'or 1 year'.. Since it's been well over a year, and the oil looked a bit black,
    we wanted to just go ahead and change the oil & filter.

It's pretty easy to do. I'll likely repeat the process every year, if we rack up over 2,000 miles per year.
    Otherwise, I might go to every other year. I'll want to stick to the 5k cycle for tire rotation.

Now the old 'oil' can is full, got to get over to the recycling center soon..

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Our mileage has been "waning" too. Used to be maybe 18000 km yearly, now barely 14000. That's one way to conserve a shrinking resource.

You might look into changing the transaxle fluid every few years. Toyota makes little or no mention of it, but it's relatively straightforward procedure, there's discussions on it.

16. XRinger

XRinger Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    That's a lot of driving. I used to drive every day, then I retired about 6 years ago.
    I've never really enjoyed driving much in this area (MA), too many cars and too many bad drivers.

In 2009 when I traded in my 1999 CRV, (@30,000 miles) I almost picked up a Ford Escape Hybrid.
    But, I looked at the low CRV mileage and decided a Hybrid would be wasted on me..
    So, I got a regular gas hog 2.5L Ford Escape. After a short break-in, I put in Mobil 1 and a new filter 'cartridge'.

Here it is 4 years and 2 months later and I've just hit first scheduled maintenance. (Ford goes by miles).
    7,500 miles, rotate tires and change oil an filter.
    Amazon strikes again! $34.99 Pennzoil 550028522 5W-20 Platinum Full Synthetic Motor Oil - 5.1 Quart Jug
    That's 150 miles per month. Jeepers 1800 miles per year.
    I get more miles on my bicycle during the summer months.

Anyways, when we retired my wife was still driving a lot more than me.
    So, last May we got her the C2. She is a long time Corolla FanGirl and likes
    reliable, small, easy to park cars, so the C2 was the prefect car for her.

I'm pretty sure it's only going to stay under 3,000 miles per year.
    So, I'll have to check on that transaxle fluid in a few years. :)

17. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Up here I pick up Toyota 0W20 by the liter for bi-yearly changes (almost without fail date governs, with the 6 mo or 8000 km interval). It's quite reasonable, at under $6 Canadian per liter, likely there's a better deal on quarts in the US :)

It's handy having floor jack, safety stands etc: yesterday our son was over and we did his oil and transaxle, an '06 Civic Hybrid.

18. XRinger

XRinger Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    For a light weight like the C2, the Scissor jack seems a tad safer to use than a floor jack.
    Not as fast, but that center lift point leaves me cold.

When I was rotating the SUV tires, I used the spare as a place holder.
    I knew it was going to come to Five lifts & swaps.. After two, I got out the large floor jack!

The nice thing about DIY, you can torque the lugs and know for sure,
    they aren't just semi-finger-tight and they aren't at 234 footpounds.

I've always hated using a 6 foot breaker bar to remove lug nuts.. :(

19. kingnba6

kingnba6 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    good write up. i dont put that much mileage on my vehicles. so most of the time i just do yearly oil changes. i could have drove 1 mile or 5k miles and i will do a change once a year. never failed me.

20. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Take it to Toyota, they also say 10k miles or 1 year... if I remember correctly. You could have them do your oil change for you.