1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First Oil change results 1100 miles.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by banshee08, Sep 9, 2009.

1. banshee08

banshee08 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi all,

Pretty new around here and wanted to contribute to this great forum. I thought I should share the results of my first oil change test results. Now just to be clear, I am a firm believer in changing the engine oil between 500 and 1000 miles (clearly I was late by 100 miles). I have done this with all my cars and they all resulted in pretty much the same result. The only manufacturer that I have experience with special break in oil is Honda and they recommend you not to change oil until 5000 miles. I have an odyssey minivan also.

Notice the that the Silicon count was very high. I think it maybe left over from the casting process for the various engine components. Well just wanted to share with everyone.

-Chan

Attached Files:

5 people like this.
  2. a64pilot

a64pilot Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    OK, that's two, both with high silicon. I think you did the right thing.
    High silicon is normal in new engines with a lot of sand cast aluminum parts, I've seen it before, but it's presence does validate early oil changes (in my opinion), but what do I know, I'm just an Airframe and Powerplant mechanic.

3. banshee08

banshee08 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Interesting thing is that my Nissan Altima Hybrid had a high silicon count also at 500miles. It drop off at the second oil change of 2000 miles. Nissan recommends 3750 mile changes. That was the very first car I used Oil Analyzer testing for. I don't know if it is a good or bad thing, I am a creature of habit and since I have 0-20W lying around at home in bulk for my Altima Hybrid I figured why not. I will get another oil change at 2500 miles and then 5000miles and test again.

Now if someone could just come up with a canister filter conversion kit to regular oil filters. That would be nice.

4. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    This result is eerily similar to jm1515's. The early oil changes in the NHW20s did not have quite as much Si. No reason to suspect that the new Prius engines are doing themselves harm, but it's a different engine for sure.

Thanks for posting Chan. Would like to know the details of how you obtained the sample because 1.3% fuel is higher than desired.

5. banshee08

banshee08 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I got the sample from the oil drain process. I actually filled the sample container when the oil was draining out. I do my own oil changes and it is just simpler to get the sample this way than using a hand pump from dip stick tube. I notice this from my friend 2005 prius also. I would assume that the ICE constantly stops leaving unburned fuel in the combustion chamber. I also see this from my Altima Hybrid.

-Chan

1 person likes this.
  6. a64pilot

a64pilot Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    From BITOG, fuel dilution is an issue with hybrids, I assume Hybrids may not run as hot as non-hybrids. I also noticed that the pan on the bottom of the car underneath the engine is insulated. I assume keeping the engine warm is an issue. Monitoring engine RPM, I was shocked to see how low of an RPM it ran, you can't run the engine at that low of an RPM in a "normal" car without lugging it, but of course here RPM is allowed to float as power demand dictates.
    You could run a remote filter, or even a bypass system if you wanted. I like the cartridge filter as your throwing away a lot less material at oil change time, and this one is easily changed, unlike some.

7. FreakinToddles

FreakinToddles New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    This may be a silly question... but does the prius have an oil filter? If so, did you replace that @ 1100 miles too?

8. banshee08

banshee08 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes the Prius Gen3 has a oil filter but it is the canister media filter type. Not your normal metal oil filter you find in the autoparts store. It is a great way to save on waste but the filter cost $5.00 while I can purchase a mobil one filter for about $6.00. Toyota is the only one I think that carry these filter and it cost way too much for what is essentially a paper piece and a rubber o-ring. And yes I always change the filter with every oil change. I just would prefer to use aftermarket filters like mobil one or amsoil as they last longer letting you extend the oil change cycle.

9. Dark_matter_doesn't

Dark_matter_doesn't Prius Tinkerer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm prep'ed to change my oil @ 1350 miles tomorrow. Do I need to get a new drain plug gasket beforehand? I've got everything else.

I'm getting an oil analysis kit in the mail, and I'll save a sample tomorrow for analysis.

10. a64pilot

a64pilot Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    $5 for a filter is cheap. I usually use either a Mobil 1 filter and or a K&N filter for my other vehicles and usually pay $13 to $15 for them.

When you take your oil sample be sure to do it mid stream when some of the oil has already run out. The oil should be at least warm, don't do it cold as the contaminants can settle and you will leave them behind when you change the oil. Be sure to clean everything before removing the plug, you don't want any dirt falling the sample bottle to mess up the results. Your plug washer should be fine, I have only changed a couple in 30 years or so. If you have an extra available, then you will never need it. Sort of a reverse of Murphy's law.

11. a64pilot

a64pilot Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    banshee08, where can you get a Mobil 1 filter for $6? I'll get them from there from now on.

12. techcar

techcar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    1-Why does the 2010 prius come with both synthetic oil and regular? If mine came with standard oil, should I switch? I was told by the dealer to change the oil @ 5K miles and that it has standard non-syn oil.

2-does anyone know of reliable toyota service in westchester county, NY?

13. a64pilot

a64pilot Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm not sure, but I don't think there is a Dino 0W-20 oil. If that's correct, then all 0W-20 oil is synthetic.

14. banshee08

banshee08 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I purchased my Oil filter from then link below about 12 months ago.. I think they were $6 or $6.50. You should call in if you don't own a nissan or infiniti. I have been purchasing parts form them for the past 5 years and they have great prices on stuff like Mobil One filters and BG44K fuel injection cleaners.

Nissan Parts - Everythingnissan.com