1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Flashing light

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Springtime, Jan 2, 2006.

1. Springtime

Springtime Member

OK, when I got the car home and exited the car the hybrid vehicle immobilizer system kicked in. I got a little flashing car on the dash board. I now realize it is the theft deterrent system.

Someone explain how this works please. I was expecting it to flash as it is "set", but, did not expect it to keep flashing until the next time I use the car. When I see a light on in my Tercel it means I have left a door ajar. Not the case with a Prius I guess.

So someone please reassure me that this light should be flashing. Is the light supposed to be solid when it is setting itself and then go to a blinking mode until you unlock the car?

So much to try to remember! I just got used to the new electric windows I have never had on a car before. My brain is on overload!

Springtime

2. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The blinking car with the key shape in it is normal; a warning to would-be crooks that the car can't be moved without the key, or in this case, fob.

Have fun with your new car!

3. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Yes, that is normal. Both my Explorer and XC90 also have flashing red lights to warn would-be thieves.

4. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If a door or the hatch is ajar when you try to lock it the SKS will give you a long beep. If everything is OK it gives you one short beep for lock and two shorts for unlock. I always try to look for the flashing red car when I leave mine as a sign that everything is OK.

5. joeh4

joeh4 New Member

Bill & others,

Thanks...just had the same experience on my new Prius 5 days old. Didn't notice it before and was afraid I had done something wrong. After looking in the manual I still couldn't figure out if it was suppose to be or not be....
    Sure appreciate this site and the helpful people here!!!

joe

6. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The yellow key warning is normal if you exit the car w/the SKS in your pocket w/the power on.

The dealer specifically demoed this for me at delivery. He specifically warned me of the scenario of handing over the car to another driver after being dropped off w/o giving them the key and leaving the power on. The other driver will be able drive w/o the key, but once they power down, they will be totally unable to restart the car unless they have the key.