1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ford C-Max Hybrid system explained

Discussion in 'Ford/Lincoln Hybrids and EVs' started by mathlal, Jan 1, 2014.

1. mathlal

mathlal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey guys !

I'm trying to find details on the system used in the C-MAX hybrid ?

Was it really/mostly reverse engineered from a Gen1 Prius ?

Does it use a planetary style system ?

Thanks !

2. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :)I saw a used one on a Toyota lot several months ago. The sales person stated that Ford purchased generation two (older) hybrid technology from Toyota for use in the C Max.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the press release stated that the two companies 'traded patent technology to the benefit of each'. it was gen II techand ford has done thier own development since then. smart move on ford's part, making them the second largest developer in hybrid tech where others have struggled to come up with anything decent to date.

4. vskid3

vskid3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Actually... (from Wikipedia, too lazy to find it elsewhere but I have read it from "credible sources" before)

The Escape Hybrid uses technology similar to that used in the Toyota Prius. Ford engineers realized their technology may conflict with patents held by Toyota, which led to a 2004 patent-sharing accord between the companies, licensing Ford's use of some of Toyota's hybrid technology in exchange for Toyota's use of some of Ford's diesel and direct-injection engine technology. Ford maintains that Ford received no technical assistance from Toyota in developing the hybrid powertrain, but that some hybrid engine technologies developed by Ford independently were found to be similar to technologies previously patented by Toyota, so licenses were obtained.

Ford developed its own hybrid system and then realized it was similar to Toyota's. I see no reason why they couldn't continue their own development for their newer versions. I could be wrong, but I wouldn't put much faith in what a Toyota salesman said about a competitor's vehicle, especially with how much they generally (don't) know about their own hybrids.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    for ford to claim that they developed thier own hybrid tech, and 'it just happened to be similar to toyota' after toyota had been in the marketplace for years, would be disinjenuous.

6. bubbatech

bubbatech Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I disagree. One can approach specific engineering problems and, given the availability of specific tools and state of knowledge, it is possible that one will find similar solutions. To simply assume they are lying without evidence is not logical.

Trollbait likes this.
  7. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Happens enough that researchers worry about someone else publishes before them on the same subject.

What the wiki article left out was that Ford's work on the Escape hybrid started during the PNGV days, and the patent swap only involved 21 of 120 of Toyota's hybrid patents. There wasn't any issue on the other 4 fifths that the companies felt it wasn't worth the bother.

Would it be any benefit to claim Toyota's DI engines and emission controls are copied from Ford?

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    good question. maybe one could find out in some diesel forums? i hardly think the technology is worth debating, but could be wrong. this usually comes up when a ford owner, or prospect, wants to know if it's something completely different, the same, or similar. not so much a 'who got what first' issue.

9. hlunde

hlunde Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III