1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Forge 5xx or 7xx mountain bikes - Any experiences?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by nola_Prius, Aug 26, 2009.

1. nola_Prius

nola_Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm looking to get back into riding bikes.
    I, like most people, REALLY loved riding bikes as a kid.
    My birthday is next month and I'll be turning 27.
    I haven't ridden a bike in over 10 years, and want to take
    it up as a hobby and form of exercise.

I came across Forge bikes, and they appear to be pretty good.
    Target sells them, which would probably turn most people off.
    However, the reviews I've been reading on them have been
    really good. A very common response to them I see is "this is not
    your average department store bike."
    Everyone says that it is equal to or better than most bikes elsewhere that cost nearly twice as much.

I really don't know much about all the specific components and who makes good whats, but I've been reading that these bikes come with surprisingly reputable and quality parts.
    I did read that although the 7xx is a full-suspension, the parts aren't quite as nice as those on the 5xx. Does that seem to be true?
    If I hadn't have read it, I would have no idea...and still don't know if it's necessarily true.

If anyone out there has actual experience with either of these, or perhaps can offer some incite as an experienced rider, I'd appreciate it!

Forge Bikes - Sawback 5xx Charcoal
    Forge Bikes - Sawback 7xx
    Men's Forge Sawback Hard-Tail 5xx Mountain Bike - 19" : Target
    Men's Forge Sawback 7xx Mountain Bike - 19.5" : Target

2. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    One of the most important specs for any bike is the weight - it is more expensive to make a lightweight bike and vice-versa. Light bikes are more fun to ride. Light weight wheels make a bike more responsive and make it easier to climb hills.

I can't tell how heavy the Target bikes are - the shipping weight is probably more than the actual bike weight, but I don't know how much.

My advice is to visit a couple of bike specialty shops and test ride as many bikes as you can. Then you can compare the Target bike to see if it is really a good deal (or not).

3. nola_Prius

nola_Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks for the input.
    I'm trying to find out how much those two models weigh.
    What is considered a decent weight range?
    Target.com says the "estimated SHIPPING weight" is 39 lbs.
    I know that "light as a feather" super carbon fiber whatever bikes can be obtained, but I'm not willing to shell out the $$ for that just yet.
    Assuming that the "estimated shipping weight" is 39 lbs, is it reasonable to think that this bike might be of a decent weight?

I'm pretty sure the rack I ordered (Saris T-Bones) suggested not using bikes that weigh over 35 lbs each, from what I remember...

At this point, I feel like I probably wouldn't even realize and appreciate the difference between a really good bike and a really great bike, and from the reviews I've been reading about the Forge, people say it is surprisingly nice. Hopefully I'll stick with the sport as I plan to, and will eventually upgrade to something nicer if I feel the need.

4. Scummer

Scummer Eh?

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I would take a look at a Specialized Hardrock or Hardrock Sport.
    Nice MTB for ~350$. Can be found at most LBS that carry Specialized.

5. nola_Prius

nola_Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    In my recent searching, I've seen Specialized mentioned a few times.
    I will look into them. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

Any comments on the Forges, specifically the 5xx and its components?

6. Scummer

Scummer Eh?

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    My only comment is this, I would never buy a bike from Target, Walmart or any other supermarket.

I personally ride a Trek Madone road racer and a Pedal Force cyclecross machine and I would buy a Hardrock in a heartbeat, but I can't since I already bought two new bikes this year. I don't think the wife would agree to another one this year. *sigh*

7. nola_Prius

nola_Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I understand that, even not being an experienced cyclist myself...
    but most of the many reviews I've been reading about the Forge 5xx say that it is not your typical department store bike.

It has Avid disc brakes, Deore Shimano 27 Speed Derailleur and Shifters (which seems to surprise people, so I guess that means it's decent), and other impressive components. (I'd have no idea if they are impressive or crappy, I'm just going off of the reviews I've read.)

Like I said earlier, the most common responses to it that I've been reading are "it's not what you'd expect to be for sale in a department store" and "just as good as bikes elsewhere that cost nearly twice the price."

My first instinct also was to assume that everything Target had for sale, as far as mountain bikes go, would be less than or equal to beginner pieces of crap in comparison to what's available in the local bike shops.
    However, the Forge bikes aren't even available in Target stores...only through online purchase... so maybe that is some sort of good sign?

I've been pretty well convinced on the Forge's quality, but I still need a little more reassurance to push me over the edge of actually buying it.

8. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I only do a few thousand miles a year (a lot of people I know do A LOT more) on my bikes so maybe my shopping advice isn't so great.

I'm pleasantly surprised to see low-end (but still very decent quality) parts on the 5-series Forge. Typically, department-store bikes use no-name (or at least no gruppo name) level parts. The forge appears to have very reasonable Deore shifters and a decent set of Avid BB5 brakes (I have a set of the earlier avid mechanicals on my hardtail and I love them).

However, I've never ridden one, so I can't make any comments on the handling or ride feel. I do feel that you can do better for the $400 though (unless Target has some sort of crazy 50% cashback offer through Bing Shopping or something).

You might want to stop by some of these local shops (you know, support the local community?):
    http://www.neworleansbicycleclub.org/shoplist.htm
    It looks like you have a lot of Specialized dealers around. Do yourself a favor and don't rush the decision - take a few bikes (I suggest a Trek, a Specialized, and a Giant) out for a test ride (if they let you) and see how they feel. Fit is by far the most important factor, and these three manufacturers have slightly different frame geometries that will affect the ride of the bike. Yes, you will likely have to deal with customer service that is, to put it nicely, surly, but it's well worth building a repore with a local shop that you can trust. I'm semi-partial to shops that actively participate in racing because their mechanics are likely racers (or serious enthusiasts) themselves and are far more likely to be able to set the bike up right (e.g. it shifts as cleanly under load as it does on the repair stand).

9. nola_Prius

nola_Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'll probably take your advice and check out some of the local shops, just to try out different brands and whatnot before making a final decision.

10. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Service is something to think about, too. Does Target do repairs, or make sure the bike fits you? And does the person assembling your bicycle also sell cameras?

11. nola_Prius

nola_Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Considering that the bike I want is NOT available in store and is only available to be ordered online, and then shipped to me... I'd either assemble it myself or take it to a local bike shop to have it done properly.

I don't really care if Target does bike repairs, because I wouldn't use them for it anyway. I'd take it to a local bike shop.

Read the reviews here:
    Forge Bikes Sawback 5xx Reviews
    and
    Men’s Forge Sawback Hard-Tail 5xx Mountain Bike - Matte Blue (19") : Target

It certainly does seem tempting, especially to a "beginner" like me.

12. a_gray_prius

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I just want to reiterate that the parts spec for a $400 bike isn't that special. The value proposition is honestly not that strong.

13. nola_Prius

nola_Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm not sure what you're trying to say...

14. a_gray_prius

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

You seem to be reiterating the reviews that say that the bike is great value for the money - I'm just saying that for $400, it's not like you're getting a wonderful deal (to me, value = getting a lot of quality stuff for your money).

15. nola_Prius

nola_Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I don't expect a $3,000 dollar bike for $400. In fact, I doubt I'd ever pay $3,000 for a bike.
    I just wanted to know if all the positive reviews are blown out of proportion or not. The fact that I can't really find any negative reviews about the bike is a good sign, I guess.

YES, I realize that I could spend more money and get something better...but I'm not looking to do that. I'm looking to not spend any more than I need to, and still get something that will be a GREAT bike for the money, FOR ME as a beginner and someone who isn't trying to upgrade from something else.

I'm pretty sure that everyone shares a close definition of "value"... but are you trying to say that you think this bike is overpriced?
    Is that what you're trying to say? Because all the reviews seem to say that it's underpriced. I wouldn't know...that's why I'm asking here.

Just a few months ago, it was actually only $320...and $299 not long before that. I guess they are selling a lot of them, so marked them up?

16. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I think you will probably be able to find some comparable name-brand (Trek, Cannondale, Specialized) entry level mountain bikes for around $400 also. They may be a better deal in the long run because the independent bike stores will carry replacement parts and will be willing to work on them. Bike store people usually hate department store bikes and may not be able to get parts for them / may not want to repair them.

I honestly don't know much about the Target bike, but the fact that it is sold at Target is a turnoff for me, JMO.

17. nola_Prius

nola_Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If I end up going with the Forge and at some point need repairs, but take it to a local bike shop only to be told "I'm not working on that bike"... I'll tell them to kiss my a** and that I'll give my money to their competitor. ;)

The Forge bike isn't actually sold at Target...it's just marketed through Target.com. I've read a bunch of people say that when they ordered their bike, it came straight from Forge and that Target never even touched it. Forge also seems to have an amazingly good reputation for customer service.

Another benefit that I see is not having to pay tax online and hopefully finding a 10% off Target.com coupon that I've seen mentioned.

I do not know..... I'm a musician and I'd never even think about buying a guitar at Target, even though they sell a couple. It's just that I just can't get my mind off all the unanimously positive feedback people have given on the bike. However, I still plan to visit some local shops to at least sit on a few brands and see how they feel. I don't even know which size I'd need anyway, the 17" or the 19". I'm a NOOB!:rockon: