1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fuel Economy for newspaper route

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Chris54, May 29, 2014.

1. Chris54

Chris54 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just purchased a 2004 Prius that I'm using for a newspaper route. I just started this route about a month ago and knew immeditily that I would need to get a more fuel efficent car. We have 2 cars. 2013 Dodge Avenger and 2005 Buick Lacrosse. Both these cars are low milage. The dodge was getting about 17mpg on my route and the Buick was getting about 15mpg. I wanted to get a car for the route to keep the miles on our primary cars from going up so fast. I wanted to get a car that would save some money and not eat into my profits from the paper route so much.

My first thought was to get a small gas only car like a civic or corolla. But then I did some research on the prius. I wasn't sure how good it would be on my route because of lots of stoping and accelerating but I knew it would be better than my current mgp. I bought my prius yesterday and used it on my route lastnight, driving it the same way I normally do. My hopes was to average 40mpg. I'm happy to report that I averaged 41.5 mpg.

My paper route brings in $1650 a month. I was spending approx $450/mo on gas (for the route alone, not counting any other driving). I should now be spending approx $150/mo on gas for the route. So I should save about $300/mo in gas. I got a no intrest loan for the purchase. My payment is $220/mo for 30 months. So my gas savings more than pays my car payment.

Also, from what I learned through my research of the prius, my breaks should last much longer. I haven't even caculated those savings.

So I do belive I made a good choice. I posted this so that if there is anyone else considering a prius for a newspaper route and are doing the research on it as I did then maybe this will help.

Zac5556 likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats and welcome, all the best!(y)

Chris54 likes this.
  3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Congratulations on your purchase. Remember there are things that can break on the prius, which will throw off your costs/budget estimates. Major components on the prius can run $3000+. Just budget wisely so you won't be caught off guard when something happens.

SM-N900P ?

4. Chris54

Chris54 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Yeah, I am aware of that and it was a consideration when deciding to make the purchase. This car has high milage but it was very well take care of, great maintance records.

5. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good choice - Prius is a work horse vehicle.
    Be aware MPG on a Prius can be less than hoped if you are doing a lot of really short trips.
    The problem is that the warm-up mode is lower MPG for the first 5 mins or so.
    So I am thinking 41.5 is good! in your case....it suggests to me you are not turning off the ignition very often.
    Anytime you turn off the ignition, I believe the car will spend some time back in the low MPG warm-up mode.
    There are also some advanced topic electronic hacks to minimize the warm up cycle.
    I would not worry about the hacks unless after experience you really think it would apply to your case.

Chris54 likes this.
  6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    For $6600 and it pays for itself in the gas it saves. How many miles?

SM-N900P ?

Chris54 likes this.
  7. Chris54

Chris54 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, I'm happy with 41.5,.. i'm sure that it will not always be the same. Some nights I have more stops than others, weekends and especially Saturday night is more stops

8. Chris54

Chris54 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    176,000 ,.. my route is 65mi every night

9. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    A 65 mile paper route? Wow. How many times do you reload your car?

SM-N900P ?

10. Chris54

Chris54 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Saturday nights is the only night I'll have to reload the car. Lastnight was the first night i've ran the paper route with the prius. It was 136 papers. I have 114 papers Sun-Tue nights, 136 papers Wed-Fri nights, and 156 on Sat night. Other than Saturday night the papers are fairly thin, even with inserts. Saturday nights (Sunday Paper) is pretty big with the inserts and all the ads. My house is right in the middle of the route. So on Sat nights I'll probably take the buick and bring the bundles back to my house, put them together, then load the stops for the first half of the route into the prius. I'll stop by the house half way through my route and pick up the rest of the papers. Thats my plan for now, I think it will work.

11. Chris54

Chris54 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, here is an update. Saturday night I had 156 papers. I loaded about half of them in the prius, delivered those, then stopped by the house and loaded the rest. It took me 2 1/2 hrs. My mpg average was 38mpg.

Lastnight, (sun night) I had 117 papers. It took me 2 hrs and 10 mins to deliver. My average mpg was 44.1 mpg.

12. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That mileage is commendable. I've always thought of a paper route as worst case scenario for mpg.

One thought: are there any clusters on your route, where you could maybe park and do a few blocks on foot, say with a small cart?

13. Chris54

Chris54 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No, doing it on foot isn't an option. I don't have very many houses that are right next to each other. I'm very happy with the mpg that I'm getting with the prius. Its really going to save me a lot of money.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  14. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    You drive over 2000 miles a month on paper deliveries? Wow. So the Prius cost you $7000 total, and you are saving $300/month or ~3500 dollars each year. The used Prius will pay for itself in two years, and then after that it's more money in your pocket.

Yeah I'd say you made a wise move. Only advice I have is: Pay off that loan immediately. No sense paying an extra 1000 in interest dollars if you can avoid it. Borrow from the bank of mom & dad if you have to. ;) (Normally I'd advise an EV for such short trip driving, since the electricity is about 1/3rd the cost, but even the used models still cost too much: over $15,000.)

If you want your brakes to last longer, don't use them. Just coast to a stop with the "charge" brakes, or touch the pedals very lightly. Also it will raise the MPG since energy is not wasted on friction brakes. (Gentle acceleration also helps MPG.)

15. Chris54

Chris54 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

That is exactly what I did, borrowed from my mother, no intrests. ... I do a lot of coasting and gentle acceleration. My goal was to get 40 mpg on the route. So far I've been above that every night. I'm very happy.

16. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I doubt he will coast to every stop -- too much time. But light braking is a good suggestion.

17. Chris54

Chris54 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Lastnight 46.2mpg. This was my best so far. But this time I was paying more attention to my driving style, (coasting, light accelerating), trying to get the best mpg I could. Also, I fueled up right before I started, not sure if that made a difference.

18. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I bet you can hit 50 mpg with very little increase in time if you learn to use braking optimally. If you do not have a scan gauge or similar device I can give you rules of thumb to use for the most efficient braking regen, which will save about 50% of braking energy.

Very gentle acceleration is not needed and does not improve fuel economy. Shoot for acceleration where you instant MPG is about the same as your MPH. If I remember the G2 Prius correctly, that is the same as depressing fuel pedal at 1/3 - 1/2 its entire path.

For fun you could learn to P&G. Your route would give you around 70 MPG, but I imagine it would easily take 10% more time.

#18 SageBrush, Jun 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
  19. Chris54

Chris54 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    P&G? hmmm, not sure exactly what that is

20. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Procter and Gamble......or also known as Pulse and Glide.