1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

fuel flow indicates zero - engine keeps running

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by mlaurenc, Dec 29, 2009.

?
  1. Yes, I have definitely experienced this before in a 2010 Prius.

7 vote(s)
    87.5%
  2. No, I've never experienced this before in a 2010 Prius.

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. mlaurenc

mlaurenc New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Purchased my third Prius (2010) in August 2009. Since early November (we're two hours north of Toronto) I've been observing what appears to be a bug in one of the two Prius hybrid system computers. Generally when it is below 0 Celsius, or the car has not fully warmed up, I observe the fuel flow indicator (which I'm always working to keep at its lowest) to fall to zero (disappear). However, the engine continues to run. If I maintain power below mid-point on power bar display, the fuel flow can stay at zero - until engine actually stops - or until I push pedal to move power bar above mid-point, at which time fuel flow indication resumes. Has anyone else seen this, or is this a problem specific to my own 2010 Prius (Canada - base model). :confused:

2. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    What is the fuel flow indicator? In the US model, there is not an indicator of whether fuel is being injected to the engine or not. Are you referring to something on the HSI screen or the energy flow diagram or what?

The gas engine will turn whenever speed exceeds 45 mph to protect the MGs. Gas engine will also run (with fuel consumption) during warmup or to meet other demands such as low SOC or high demand climate control, etc. Winter warmups are longer and more frequent, so the engine runs more.

3. Bobsprius

Bobsprius BobPrius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Not sure as well, what FUEL FLOW INDICATOR your talking about?
    Are you referring to the Engine Running Indicator????

Please clarify...:confused:

4. yardman 49

yardman 49 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Must be one of those special Canadian options....:)

I guess we'll have to have a new acronym if this is the case: FFI

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    What fuel flow meter? Are you running CANview?

Tom

6. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Maybe he is talking about the vertical current mpg indicator bar graph to the right of the speedometer (?????)

7. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My JP 2010 Prius comes with "Energy Monitor" screen instead of any fuel flow indicator.
    The Energy Monitor displays the energy flow, not fuel flow nor engine running.
    It is well-known behavior the Energy Monitor does not always display fuel flow, such as warming up period.

Ken@Japan

1 person likes this.
  8. mlaurenc

mlaurenc New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The display I refer to as fuel flow indicator shows (almost) instantaneous liters per 100 kilometers (digital approximation of the fuel flow). It goes to zero in colder weather - even though engine continues to run.

Image I wish to post to clarify this is at:

www dot guideontheside dot ca/fuelflow dot jpg

9. Bobsprius

Bobsprius BobPrius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    After looking at your picture link, this is not a Fuel Flow Indicator, but is a Instantaneous Fuel Economy guage.

Mine on many occasions will be at "0" even when the car is running.

I don't think this is a glitch at all.

It's working as designed.

Thanks for posting the link to a PICTURE for review. ;)

10. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Oh, the instantaneous MPG indicator. That's normal while it's warming up.

Think about it, it's going to get crappy (near 0) mpg during that time.

11. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

Yeah ok what I referred to in my post, it's normal for it to do what you describe.

12. mlaurenc

mlaurenc New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sure appreciate your opinion here Bobsprius. However, I'm further confused as to how it is working as designed. I'm moving down the road at 30 km/hr with power bar in lower middle of eco range and Instantaneous Fuel Economy is zero - yet the engine is running. Could you clarify how this is considered to be normal?

Now that I've just completed my fifth "newby" post, maybe they'll let me post images the way it is supposed to be done. ;-)

13. mlaurenc

mlaurenc New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here in Canada the display is in liters per 100 kilometers. The higher the number, the "crappier" the performance - anotherwords, I strive every time I drive for the lowest number on this display - zero being the optimal achievement. So for me, it is still an illogical representation of what is actually happening. :)

14. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Remember that the Rest-of-World liters/km display will be inverted from the American MPG display. When Americans see it topping out at 100 MPG, Canadians should see it bottoming out at 0 L/km.

15. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I understand now. Maybe the instantaneous MPG (or liters per 100 kilometers) display is designed not to operate (read as 0) during warm up. Naturally it would make sense if it's MPG but not liters/km.

16. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The original posting was about low temperature operation but the questions do not cite ambient temperature. I regularly see 'no fuel flow' indications on the instantaneous mileage display while going down hills above 46 mph with the engine still 'running.'

I suspect the original posting was seeking some other condition but one can only answer the poll.

Bob Wilson

17. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Aren't most polls like this? :rolleyes:

Tom

18. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Wouldn't this contribute to our MPG gauge being inaccurate?

19. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So, OP, what does this i-consumption bar normally do during warmup when you are sitting still with the ICE running? L is non-zero, distance is zero, so the math is undefined (divide by zero error) for L/hkm, right? Does this normally show as a full bar or a zero bar or something else? To me, a full bar makes most sense.

Many of us 'down-under' would prefer consumption to mpg, but have no way to know what is normal in a consumption display. Canadian and other non-US drivers, are you seeing this?

20. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I think what the OP wanted to say is as follows:
    - in the energy monitor screen sometimes it might be that the engine is running when idle and the battery does not charge at all and no arrow is shown - even if the battery could be recharged since it is not full - question is then, can and does it make sense that the ICE runs without recharging the battery at all? or is it a Energy Flow screen bug?
    - moreover, and this is not a bug, in the EU/Canada version the instant fuel consumption meter, in L/100km, shows 0L/100km when the car is moving with the ICE off and when the ICE is on (e.g. warming up) but the car is not moving - this is correct, since the gauge is showing the fuel consumption to move the car and not the L/hr (liters per hours - my Polo would switch from L/100km to L/hr automatically when the speed was 0km/h) - nevertheless the average fuel consumption is accurate, since the fuel consumption history will show a full bar (ie. >=10L/100km, ie infinite) if the car was standing still with ICE on for 1min - or less if the car moved in the meantime (it is a 1min average, after all!). Km/l is similar to MPG in terms of math and give a better representation of car still/ICE on situations. In Japan, if I remember Ken's HSI screen, does compute everything in km/l. Too bad I cannot switch the display to that!