1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Garage door programming problems.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by phansson, Aug 9, 2007.

1. phansson

phansson New Member

I have been trying to program my garage door opener on my new Prius.

I have the "rolling" code type openers and followed the instructions but can only get one button on my home lnk to work.

Any suggestions???

2. TSaxman28

TSaxman28 Wandering Minstrel

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(phansson @ Aug 9 2007, 02:49 PM) [snapback]493129[/snapback]</div>

Just wondering . . . do you have more than one garage door? If not, why would you want to program more than one home link button to do the same thing?

3. lowbone

lowbone Junior Member

Call Homelink. I can't remember if their phone # is in the manual. If not you can get it from Toyota customer service. That number is in the manual. Programming a door with rolling code is tricky. When you call Homelink make sure to have a ladder right by your opener because they will have you jumping between the car and opener. They are very helpful and the door did what I wanted it to after the phone call.

4. geodosch

geodosch Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lowbone @ Aug 10 2007, 08:07 AM) [snapback]493467[/snapback]</div>
    My garage door has never done anything other than open and close. Are there other things Homelink can get it to do? :lol:

5. phansson

phansson New Member

I have my home, a garage at my business and my parents garage. So actually I need all three.

6. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    My parent's garage door has a rolling code and the instructions on the opener didn't work. They still had the instructions for the opener and it had a second method of programming. That one worked the first time.

7. lagreca

lagreca Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(phansson @ Aug 9 2007, 11:49 AM) [snapback]493129[/snapback]</div>
    I had a problem getting mine to work as well. In the end, I think I used the remote for the door opener to program the homelink, then pressed the learning button on the opener and programmed the homelink again, and it worked.

I knew I should have documented the steps better. Try that, and let me know if it works. If not, I can program one of my other buttons to remember how it was done and post here.

8. phansson

phansson New Member

Thanks for the help, but that didn't work either.

I think I might try to program the work garage door the same as my house. That might work.

You would think this isn't rocket science.

9. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(phansson @ Aug 10 2007, 01:31 PM) [snapback]493658[/snapback]</div>
    I have a 3-car garage with split 2-1 doors. Therefore, I needed to program two buttons of the homelink.
    I do remember that I tried a few times to get BOTH working. It was a bit confusing when programming of the second
    one actually erased the first one. But, I finally got them working for both doors.
    My suggestion is
    - have someone help you. You sit in the car, and the other person controls the training buttons on the openers.

Wish you the best result, :)

10. lagreca

lagreca Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(phansson @ Aug 10 2007, 11:31 AM) [snapback]493658[/snapback]</div>
    Ok, I just programmed my other 2 buttons (had the first button programmed already). This is how I did it:

Make sure your car is close to the garage door opener you are trying to program the button for.

Using the remote control that came with your opener, press the button to open the garage door while simultaneously holding the homelink button you want to program. Keep holding them till the red light of the homelink starts to flash fast, then release both buttons.

Now press the learning button on the garage door opener and run back to your car (you have 30 seconds to complete this step). Press and hold the homelink button, until the garage opener light flashes (about 3-5 seconds).

Now your button should be programmed.

Its not exactly what the manual says, but more of a combination of the two. Also keep in mind, this is for a LiftMaster garage door opener.

Hope this helps you. I'm leaving for Las Vegas now, so if you have questions, I'll respond when I get back.

TsKarma likes this.
  11. TSaxman28

TSaxman28 Wandering Minstrel

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(phansson @ Aug 9 2007, 02:49 PM) [snapback]493129[/snapback]</div>

I have a Sears opener with a rolling code and used a variation of the method described in the manual. I had to play around with different buttons on the opener to find the one that would communicate with the Homelink button. After a little bit of trial and error I got it to work. I only need to operate one garage door so I don't really know what would happen if I tried to program another button -- sorry.

Craig

12. BluPri

BluPri New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lagreca @ Aug 10 2007, 02:02 PM) [snapback]493669[/snapback]</div>
    I also had a problem programming two garage doors (rolling code) and a gate (not rolling). I had to erase the code within the garage door motor itself by pressing the training button continuously for 5 seconds. The Homelink web site has instruction videos to illustrate how to program several different garage door opener models. See: http://www.homelink.com/home/home.tml

TsKarma likes this.
  13. dndn

dndn New Member

Finally got mine to work, after two evenings of trying it over and over and changing any little thing I could to try some other variation. In the end, I'm not sure what I did differently except that I tried it on the button on the right instead of the one of the left - cant explain it, just glad that it works for me now. One thing that I noticed is that my old mini opener only took a quick push while I seem to have to press and hold the homelink button for longer in order for it to activate the garage door opener.

14. phansson

phansson New Member

I tried everything including the homelink site. I still haven't been able to program my work door opener. I will just use the one supplied for now. I am tired of messing with it.

Thanks for all of the help.

15. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dndn @ Aug 16 2007, 11:53 PM) [snapback]497533[/snapback]</div>
    I second this comment. When I was setting mine up last year, I was getting frustrated trying to get the HomeLink to work with my LiftMaster opener as I followed the programming steps for rolling codes and it was not working.

Eventually, I somehow figured out that you need to HOLD the Prius Homelink button for ~ 1 second to activate it, whereas my "factory" remote for the opener was just a simple push (click).

It's not a big deal... as long as you know about it. ;)