1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gas Prices Jump

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by hycamguy07, Feb 26, 2007.

1. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The latest Lundberg Survey confirms Gas prices have shot up!

Is there really a difference in fuel formulas??? Or is it just an excuse to raise prices.... :mellow:

2. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ Feb 26 2007, 09:18 AM) [snapback]396712[/snapback]</div>
    Here's the difference - it's not an excuse

3. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    No one's done the usual Prius owner reply yet? Wow. All right, I'll do it: :)

The price of gasoline is up? Gee, I didn't notice. B)

4. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Do people here care if they raise the gas prices? I hope they go to $5 dollars a gallon. How do you get a fat slob to eat less donuts? Charge him 5 dollars a donut.

5. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Feb 26 2007, 03:24 PM) [snapback]396846[/snapback]</div>
    I agree that the ultimate solution to our oil addiction is increased gas prices. However, even though i'm driving a Prius my pocketbook still feels it when the prices go up. Every penny increase will cost me roughly 4.50 over a year if it's sustained. a jump of 13 cents as mentioned by the OP will cost me $58.50 over the next year. Thats the same price as a full season of DVD's for a decent TV show. Or a new game for <insert popular gaming system of your choice>. Or 3 evenings of playing pool with my friends at one of the local pool halls. Or 5 weeks dues for my bowling league.

So yes, i do feel the cost of the increase in gas prices... Until i can get an EV that is :p

6. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't feel sorry for the fools driving their full-size SUVs solo at 80mph who then whine about "oh, it's so expensive, I'm going to have to pawn one of my Rolexes!" at the next fill. I do, on the other hand, feel bad for the people who don't have much money to begin with, don't have access to decent public transportation, and don't have a choice but to drive whatever low-MPG car they happen to have from the place where they already live. A dramatic rise in the price of fuel just makes a bad thing worse in that case. But that's the only reason I cringe when I see the price creep higher. Unfortunately, this is the only thing short of a full-on shortage that will get us to change on a large scale. I'll pay for what I can't conserve if something good comes of it in the end.

7. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Feb 26 2007, 04:24 PM) [snapback]396846[/snapback]</div>
    Yes but not by giving it to the oil companies. Although it would be a difficult sell, it ought to come in the form of a tax. Call it the bush tax. We'll use it to pay off all the debt george racked up on the taxpayer's dime with his little war.

8. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Feb 26 2007, 04:24 PM) [snapback]396846[/snapback]</div>
    Thank you APK... :)

Burritos, I know your using the bolded statment as an analogy... I read it some where that a bagle w/cream cheese has more calories & fat than a glazed donut?... ;)

9. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ Feb 26 2007, 02:53 PM) [snapback]396899[/snapback]</div>
    Ooh, computer worm with cream cheese, yummy.

10. Porridge

Porridge New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Feb 26 2007, 05:24 PM) [snapback]396846[/snapback]</div>
    How do you stop people from smoking - tax the hell out of cigarettes.... oh, that doesn't seem to work either.

Gas in Europe averages $6 a gallon, it wasn't always that way but people have accepted it.

Verdict: People adapt their finances by cutting other things they consider are not essential as the car. Why do you think Starbucks was so alarmed when gas went above $3?

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2006..._starbucks.html

11. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ Feb 26 2007, 09:18 AM) [snapback]396712[/snapback]</div>
    As noted above, there really is a difference in fuel formulae. More to the point that about summer vs winter--brand x (read: off-brand/cheap) stations' formulae will change according to what they happen to be able to get cheapest for that delivery. One Prius "guru" (been working on 'em since 2001) told me, no, you don't need to go up in octane rating (if your engine isn't knocking, you just do not need higher octane--this was also stated in, I believe, Consumer Reports some years ago) , but DO stick with a "name," as their formulations are more consistent. If you are concerned about political correctness with this method, BP is rated tops for that, and Chevron is pretty good--can't remember the others, bad or less bad).

12. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Porridge @ Feb 26 2007, 03:59 PM) [snapback]396933[/snapback]</div>
    And in Europe, people drive smaller, more efficient cars, and many drive those little motor scooters. Maybe a $5/gallon tax would push Americans toward smaller, more efficient cars as well.

From the linked article:
    While some people may not prefer the taste of Starbucks coffee, it is definitely very different from the coffee available at fast-food restaurants and most corner delis.

And the way to protect poor people is not to keep gas prices low, encouraging everyone else to waste gas! We need to assure that every person who works gets a living wage for her work, so she can afford to buy gas, as well as pay for health care and rent and food.

13. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Mar 1 2007, 05:58 AM) [snapback]398375[/snapback]</div>
    According to a recent report in, I think, Consumer Reports, for just plain old coffee coffee--not half decaf semi mocha quasi latte with a twist, but just a cuppa joe--MacDonald's rates highest for taste.

But...ON TOPIC, just for a change...I really don't believe Americans will change their ways--they'll just kvetch and moan to their congressfolk and senators if taxes go higher on gas. It is, apparently FINE for the oil co execs to be granted record bonuses on the backs of last year's high prices...god forbid any of that money should have gone to the guvamint. (And, yes, in referring to Americans, I DID say "they." I was born here, but have spent a significant portion of my life in Canada and England...but, these days, they won't give me either asylum or a passport, so here I am...Although I AM having VERY serious discussions about Norway w/ dh...but yeah...other issues, other problems...)

14. Walker1

Walker1 Empire

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ Feb 26 2007, 12:18 PM) [snapback]396712[/snapback]</div>
    They don't have to give us any excuse to raise prices. They hold all the aces and we have the jokers. They are only in bus. to make $$$$

15. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Gas Prices have risen betweeen February and May in 21 of the last 22 years.

There are multiple reasons, but I'd expect the same this year, and next year, and.....

16. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brick @ Feb 26 2007, 04:24 PM) [snapback]396882[/snapback]</div>
    Reasonable sentiment, but I don't feel as bad for the poor as you. Not because I'm heartless, but because the cheaper cars tend to get better gas mileage (compare a Ford Focus or Nissan Sentra to a Hummer or BMW 5-series). Also, if you look at it, gas is a minor part of car ownership. Insurance, depreciation, maintenance and repairs, are as expensive or more expensive than fuel costs. The kick will come in the form of inflation - we determined that food costs are closely linked to fuel costs in another thread, the cheap stuff barged in from China for WalMart, etc. So then the store owners do two things to compensate - raise prices and/or suppress employee raises. Both of these hurt the poor more than a couple dollars at the pump per fill-up.

But less gas usage implies fewer emissions in the air, which reduces asthma and other lung ailments, which tends to hurt the poor more (living in more congested areas might have a part of it). So there's also an immediate positive side, not to mention the long-term possible result of having a few million less refugees from places like Bangladesh (and richer, closer areas) when the seas rise and storms surge in. Who you gonna feel sorry for then?

Using less gas will be a painful transition for some, but it's a necessary step, and if done over time can be adapted to. Trying to suppress this change will only result in more pain later.

17. malibucarl

malibucarl Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

The price of Regular, 87 octane, is now over $3 at most locations in Western Los Angeles County.
    Be interesting to see coming sales figures. Now large Prius inventory at most dealers--just like most other cars.
    Carl

18. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i've noticed prices heading upward lately. i filled up at 2.399 the other day.

while we aren't necessarily poor, just kinda down in the financial luck department, it does hurt. so the prius costs $20ish to fill up once a month or so normally at this rate (hey i can't get 9 gallons in there most of the time anyway) but his camry costs in the $45+ range every 2 weeks... that would at least go a short way toward some of these medical bills we've got stacking up on us again.

if it hit 5 bucks a gallon we'd be in a world of hurt. as it is i'm looking to start biking to work once we move.

19. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Porridge @ Feb 26 2007, 06:59 PM) [snapback]396933[/snapback]</div>
    But the taxes pay for anti-smoking programs to prevent children (and adults) from starting to smoke and to help those that have decided to quit to quit. I think there may be some subsidies for medical care related to smoking too but I'm not sure.

I'm with raise the price of gas. But not so the oil companies can make more profits. Put a tax on it that goes to alternative energy research and development. Then get us some batteries for our future EVs.

20. kdailey356

kdailey356 New Member

I am glad gas prices are going up, it makes some people conseve more, compared to the world it is not like gas is extremely expensive anyways...