Welcome to PriusChat

We'd love to have you join our community and participate in the conversation! Sign up for FREE today.

1. TGB4 2014 Prius Convention Hotel Discounts are ending this week. Click for more information. All Access registration with personalized items ends Sept 1. Register now!

Gas tank question/problem with fuel/tank

Discussion in 'Gen II Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jomo, Mar 20, 2012.

Social Buttons

1. jomo

jomo New Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello: I am the proud owner of a 2004 Prius but I have no technical knowledge about autos. My husband of 30 years passed in December and he was a "car guy".

I basically have had no repairs on the vehicle except for a new windsheild and one other thing that was about $150.00 but can't remember what it was.

Yesterday, my fuel was down to 2 "notches" and while I was driving it went down to the last "notch" so I stopped for fuel. It would only take just under 2 gallons - the pump would stop and then I could only put it a tiny amount at a time so I finally stopped.

When I got back in my car the fuel gauge did not move any higher. I also noticed that I had only gone 277 miles since I last filled. I always fill the tank but it never takes more than 7 to 8 gallons regardless of low my gauge reads (or even if the light is flashing!)

I have an appointment tomorrow am at a Toyota dealership but don't want to pay for unecessary repairs and I also want to be knowledgeable.

Any ideas of what this could be? I have to drive about 50 miles this am should I try to put more fuel in after the drive?

Thanks so much!

I'm in line again for another Prius - but was hoping to keep this one for another two years. I'm definately a Prius snob and I've never been able to keep a car that long (I live in Detroit area so I get a lot of flak for owning a Toyota, too)
  2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Nadir of Wrongness

Your Vehicle Year:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I know that if you get less than 3 gallons, the computers do not recognize the new gas. (but it IS there obviously)
  3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Your Vehicle Year:
    2006 Prius
  4. jomo

jomo New Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you! I found more info after I posted. I hate it that I'm just now having issues with filling. I will try again today.

I cancelled my service with one Toyota Dealership and called another one. The service guy gave me tips similar to those here and said to call him anytime. I guess I know which dealership I want to work with! I didn't even need service so I'm a peeved at the first guy.

Thanks again. Later today I'm going to look around this site more. I also found how to see my service record from a link posted here. My 2004 Prius has been serviced three times - one was the floor mat, the other some body work and another was minor engine. All in 2011.

I love my Prius.
  5. cnschult

cnschult Active Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    dealer 1: "well a new gas tank, fuel pump, fill neck, and fuel level sensor is going to run $1000, $3000 with labor, our manager will give you $1000 to trade it in on a brand new Prius, here he is now to talk to you about the 2011 prius."

dealer 2: "this happens with the prius, just wait 5 minutes after opening the gas cap to depressurize the gas tank, and put the fuel in on its slowest setting; try different pumps at different gas stations, you may find one that works with your car right away on full blast . . . your welcome, glad to help, we're here if you have any "real" problems with your car."
    TouringSYNERGY2007 and jomo like this.
  6. jomo

jomo New Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, and I thought I had a bad Dealer just wanting me to bring mine in!

Thanks for the input.
  7. Edward74

Edward74 New Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    It's a design issue, so your dealer will not be of any help[​IMG]
  8. jomo

jomo New Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, I went to my "normal" gas station today and it took 7 gallons and the tank show "full". The only thing I did special was hold the hose higher than the nozzle and tried my best to fill it slow.

Lucky for me I've only had this one issue in 8 years and I can happily return to my original plan to keep it for two more.

thanks everyone for the input. I'd be lost if I hadn't found you. Actually I'd be at the dealer today probably shelling out $ for nothing.

And I can maintain my bragging rights to paying less than $500 (truthfully I think it's only been about $350) in repairs in the car's history!
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Your Vehicle Year:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base