1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 2 underside rust?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Donkey Oaty, Aug 9, 2014.

1. Donkey Oaty

Donkey Oaty New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all,

First time on the PriusChat site, plenty of information and friendly people here! I have just inspected a 2006 Prius T4 with about 140k miles on the clock with a view to buying it. (I'm in Ireland BTW) Overall the car is fine, including the hybrid system (temps are good, HVB Max & Min are within 0.15V), but two things are niggling at me. The first is that there's some underside rust, including some fairly severe rust along the anti-sway bar. Or at least that's what I think it is.

Note: The pic is NOT from the car being inspected, the rust was much worse.

[​IMG]

The bar just below the exhaust has another bar within it and it's severely pitted. I must point out that this car comes from an area that uses salt on the roads (Northern Ireland) There is some also some rust on the underside of the spare wheel well, and also some surface rust beside the aux battery in the boot. Since the aux batter voltage is fine (14.2-14.4V) I've concluded that the battery was replaced at some point and the rust wasn't cleaned up afterwards. (Edit: From further research it may have been a water leak, but it only showed up around the battery.)

Apart from that the car drives and handles well with no unusual noises and the MPG is excellent. Does anyone have any opinions of the rust points I've mention and whether they are serious?

#1 Donkey Oaty, Aug 9, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
  2. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Just from the picture, I see nothing that appears to be abnormal for an 8 year old car with that kind of mileage.
    The really heavy metal parts around the frame don't get much rust protection because they don't need it.
    Even what might be considered "heavy" rust might take 50 years to weaken them to the point of a problem.

Unless there is a place where it looks like the integrity of the piece might be compromised by a DEEP pit, I wouldn't worry about it.

3. Donkey Oaty

Donkey Oaty New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Apologies, I should have said that the pic is not from the car I looked at, the rust was much worse on that bar.

4. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    OK, so does it just LOOK worse......or is there some serious damage ?
    Like pits so deep that they could be measured........or just a very rough surface ??

And it's an anti-sway bar that you might not even notice if it breaks........except for sparks from scraping the pavement that is.

5. Donkey Oaty

Donkey Oaty New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I couldn't get close to it, but it looks like there's severe pitting (approx 1mm pits in the metal ). Then again, if it's not that important I probably don't have to worry about it. Any opinions on the rust near the aux battery? It's only surface and not very bad. Can't see any other rust in the well.

6. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Rust is not really a problem on the Prius in the UK. The item your talking about is actually the axle, the round bar inside is the anti roll bar. Both components are substantial and it would take a large amount of rust to give problems. You could use this as a bargaining tool to get the price down.
    The voltage of the battery you are measuring is with the car in ready mode at 14.2 volts, and is the charging voltage not the voltage of the actual battery. To check this you need to press the start button once "WITHOUT your foot on the brake" then check the voltage, then press the start button again "WITHOUT your foot on the brake" check again, then "WITH your foot on the brake" check again. The last reading is the reading on charge and if it is in the region of 14.2/14.4 volts the other readings you get will be low as the charging voltage drops to 13.8 when the battery is healthy and fully charged.

John (Britprius)

7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    From your description it does not sound like the rust is serious. Obviously if you have the choice to purchase another Prius without rust that would be better.

The rear antisway bar is not particularly difficult or costly to replace should that be necessary, although if the pitting is only 1 mm I think you won't need to worry about that for a long time.

8. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Is this actually rust as Toyota us a sealant in that area that is the same color as rust. On some cars it is not unusual to find water in the battery well due to a small leak round the rear light or in a body seam above. This would normally give rust in the bottom of the battery area though, but has not caused any significant problems.

John (Britprius)

9. Donkey Oaty

Donkey Oaty New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In the end I went for car that was a year older (less rust, same condition, same mileage) for about 35% cheaper. Very happy. Thanks for your help all!

10. taylor_priusII

taylor_priusII New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Good Lord. You're in Ireland. It's a Prius. Yeah it's got some rust. Drink some whiskey and buy the damn thing.

And please: try not to kill any Englishmen. :)

11. Tony D

Tony D Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've bought many cars in the UK, and have found that cars from NI are some of the worst

My 08 T4 came from Glasgow and only has a small bit of surface rust on the anti roll bar (had it on ramp yesterday). There doesn't appear to be rust anywhere else.

In my experience, cars tat have spent most of their lives in cities, eg London have less rust. My last few cars were from London and were virtually rust free

Welcome to PriusChat btw!