1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 4 Prius Delayed Until Late 2015 | Plug-in Late 2016

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by austingreen, Jun 30, 2014.

1. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Next-gen Prius launch delayed 6 months
    Next generation Toyota Prius may be delayed for 6 months | Dallas Morning News

Toyota may delay the arrival of its new fourth-generation Prius, postponing it six months until December 2015, according to Automotive News.

Next-Generation Toyota Prius Plug-In Hybrid To Enter Production In 2016

Danny's note:

Gen 4 delayed production means standard Prius models will probably begin arriving in dealerships in early 2016, and potentially early 2017 for the Plug-in Prius. In an ever-growing competitive market, and a 3rd Gen Prius that is getting long in the tooth, this could really hurt the Prius long-term.

#1 austingreen, Jun 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2014
  2. Beachnut

Beachnut Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sure glad I was not waiting for it. (Just bought our 2014 P-3 and still loving it!) After buying a first generation, first model year 2013 Dodge Dart 1.4L turbo, and having 14 repair shop visits in 15 months time, then having to lemon law it as it never was fixed. I would never buy a "new model year" again. Let someone else deal with the bugs that need to be worked out.

3. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    On the other hand, the Prius c, released in 2012, has been almost flawless.

1RadChick likes this.
  4. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    @austingreen, I've edited your post title a bit to be more descriptive. I also added a couple of thoughts I had on Twitter this morning in your OP.

Unless Toyota has something crazy up their sleeve that they are going to blow us all away with, I see this is as very bad news for Toyota and the Prius in the growing alt-fuel market. They are hemorrhaging current Prius owners to next-gen technology (plug-ins and EVs), and this will only accelerate it.

Think about it: By the time the G4 PiP comes out, Tesla will have 3 models on the road, GM will have at least one version of their new Volt out (I think they'll end up doing 2 versions: Big and Small battery versions), and Nissan will have whatever they decide to do next. At least Ford will still have their over-estimated MPG hybrids on the road.

austingreen likes this.
  5. Robert Holt

Robert Holt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    However, from the point of view of the "drive it forever" owner, having a longer production run of a given model means more total vehicles of that type on road as the fleet ages, and that in turn means a larger market to motivate vendors of after-market parts and more vehicles in junkyards to strip pieces from.
    (Having owned several low-production "orphan" models, I would much prefer to own a popular, long-model-run car.)

NGMPRIUS and Mike500 like this.
  6. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Very good point. My perspective is often from the sales and "get as many on the road as possible" standpoint.

7. Eric1969

Eric1969 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  8. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They must have read our wish list(s)! :()

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    bummer. i was looking forward to the long range pip.:(

10. heyphillip

heyphillip Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Generation 3 getting long in the tooth REALLY!!!! That's crazy to think that.Can you think of any other Hybrid in its class that out performs the current Prius in gas mileage even in looks my 2014 gets a lot of looks from the public.From some of the pictures I've seen of the generation 4 it's not that much of a drastic change from the exterior

radiocycle and Mendel Leisk like this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    on the other hand, the market is being slowly eroded, and choices abound. toyota is probably carefully weighing their options. i was hoping to have a 20 mile pip at the end of this year.:(

#11 bisco, Jun 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
    retired4999 and JacksonMs like this.
  12. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    This time next year seemed a bit on the optimistic side, considering all the other things happening in the market now and expected to unfold by then. Early Fall was realistic. So, end of year isn't too far off.

As for not getting the plug-in model right away... that's good news from my perspective... though watching others upgrade to the new regular model in the meantime will certainly be a test of patience.

Getting it right for the masses is absolutely essential for rollout at this stage. We've already seen home much of a mess GM is dealing with from Volt not being targeted correctly. Ford hasn't exactly had hit the bull's-eye either. Toyota has come closest with being able to deliver something capable of reaching a very wide audience.

Mainstream acceptance is essential with the next generation. That means high-volume purchases, able to compete directly with traditional vehicles, and no dependency on tax-credits. The regular model of Prius is already positioned for that. The plug-in model is demonstrating the potential.

Waiting that plug-in means not getting sucked into fallout from other automakers and having the extra time to refine the new design. We know that lithium battery chemistry continues to improve and the addition of super-capacitors has been experimented with. Those are worth the wait. Cost reduction is obviously too. Then there's the convenience wireless charging has to offer.

Also overlooked is the opportunity lost from current PHV owners. Upgrading so soon isn't an option for many households. An extra year could make all the difference. Many would have had theirs for around 3 years at that point. It will still have retained decent resale value and not be too old to just be better off keeping. That's a good time to capitalize on those seeking the latest & greatest.

Like with my 2001 upgrade to the 2004, then the 2010, then the 2012 plug-in, each was totally worth it. This won't be any different. The wait will seem like forever, but the benefit from balance of purchase priorities will be worth it.

13. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Here the upshot:
    I couldn't agree more with AOL Autos: a great price on a car that makes "a lot of sense" - high MPG and tons of room for the family.

The Best New Car Deals: June 2014

radiocycle likes this.
  14. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    We have already seen many 'early adopters' leave the Prius for other rides and I'm OK with that. EVs need sales to stay in business and more importantly, to come out with the next generations:
    • 1st Generation - mind blowing, technological advance, suffers some painful sins but mostly works
    • 2nd Generation - fixes the worst sins only to induce a few more "What were they thinking?"
    • 3d Generation - YES, this is the one to get . . .
    I don't own a lot of stock in Toyota and have nothing but good and great things to say about our 2003 and 2010 Prius. But even I realize a Prius is still too far of a reach for most 'gassers.' The pedal-to-the-metal crowd just doesn't get it . . . there is a car that actually rewards those who drive sensibly. As for the rest, I'm amused at folks who can't even find, much less change their own air filter calling the Prius 'too complex.' Still, let's be realistic, we're only 3% of the new car market.

If Toyota can crack the mind-set of those who would not buy a Prius . . . heck if they could get more hybrid Camrys into owner hands . . . we really need to see closer to 25% (as unrealistic as I know this sounds!) But there is buyer resistance out there which somehow Prius people and early adopters are not affected.

That was a long drink of water to suggest market share is not a technology issue, it is a human issue dealing with buyers. The car still is an impressive piece of engineering. But don't be surprised if I'm on a list for the 150 mile Leaf.

Bob Wilson

austingreen and TomSwift like this.
  15. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    And for every Prius owner that sells a Prius and buys something else (Leaf, Tesla, Volt, etc.) a used Prius is put on the market for someone to buy that maybe can't afford a new car. So they get to become an advocate for hybrids. And Toyota is still selling more hybrids than everyone one else's hybrids/EV combined.

Mike

radiocycle, Data Daedalus and drash like this.
  16. UTBuckeye

UTBuckeye Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A

Well that sucks....

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    gas is too cheap, relatively speaking. and the government is afraid to raise the price of anything due to the 'fragile' economy.

radiocycle and PriusC_Commuter like this.
  18. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Another nice part about the sucky wait... o_O ...is that there will be less to rhetoric to have to deal with.

The amount of FUD (fear, uncertainty, doubt) we've been dealing with about the plug-in model is a real problem. The more data we gather with the current model, the less opportunity for those intentionally trying to undermine. It's sad, especially when it comes from supporters of other plug-in vehicles, but that's the reality we face. In a twisted kind of way, it is actually a beneficial... since designs incapable of appealing to the mainstream will reveal themselves. Hiding behind false claims only goes so far. Then of course, there are those who are just plain not interested in change. Their denial is easy to overcome when sightings become frequent.

To think that some people will still see hybrids as "too complex" as the 2nd generation complete their lifecycle with great success is perplexing. But then again, there's has been fallout in the automotive market lately. The re-rating of MPG estimates along with an overwhelming number of recalls does give reason for pause. So, it does make sense for there to be a delay.

Think about how well established the C and V models will be at that point too. Toyota gets the opportunity to work on improving them in the meantime. People are obviously going to be expecting them to get upgrades quickly after the regular model.

It will work out fine. But for those who were looking forward to the chance to upgrade sooner, it will be a test of patience.

19. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm just the barer of bad news, its danny that said long in the tooth, although I agree with him. I agree with you that the looks aren't old, they might be called iconic or now classic;) But I have has one for almost 5 years. The new one will be out in about 18 months, 6 1/2 years from the first gen III, that itself did not stray much in looks or feel from the first gen II over a decade ago. The dash and the suspension could really use an upgrade. Still problems occur and I would rather have them get it right, then ship it with known defects.

The bigger shame is the plug-in model that now looks like the end of 2016. Now the leaf and volt will get redesigns before the prius phv. It looks like toyota is going to concentrate on california, as there is no indication of a nation wide roll out - these plans were killed last year. Does that mean that Toyota is going to simply push the fcv? THat is not technical leadership unless you live in a few southern california zip codes.

#19 austingreen, Jul 1, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
  20. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    So Toyota is later to market, and you comment how the earlier estimates were optimistic. GM is delayed and it is evidence of their total incompetence??

As for your perspective, I suspect Toyota could announce they are closing down the Prius family and you would still find only good things about it.

And regarding adoption of the masses, if everything has to fit that goal, why is Toyota coming out with a $70,000 FCEV? Just what "masses" are going to be buying those?

Trollbait, Sabby and 3PriusMike like this.