1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen III Plug-In Supply Experiences

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by stripedrex, Mar 14, 2012.

1. stripedrex

stripedrex Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey guys, I've been in the market for a plug in extended range electric car and looked at the volt and decided to try to be as economical as possible by doing a DIY install of a lithium kit for a used 2010 Prius.

I've settled on Plug-In Supply pluginsupply.com but can't find much (I see very few) reviews and feedback of people who have this kit on this forum and other places. I'm considering the 4kw kit and I'm uneasy sending $5,000 across the continent (I'm in NY they're in CA) to a small company that seems to at times (from posts on this forum) have had some troubles (legal issues with others and potential financial issues)? They seem to be constantly innovating and I'm a gear head and look forward to doing some cool stuff to the Prius but worried about pulling the trigger.

Of those that have their kits:

What are your experiences working with PIS?
    How long have you had kit?
    Are you upgraded to the new 72 mph+ limit kit?
    Has this been reliable?
    Did you install yourself?
    Do you regret doing this or recommend?

Any feedback at all would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking for those who have worked with the company no he said she said stuff please =).

Thanks ahead of time!

1 person likes this.
  2. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The legal issues with Plugin Solutions has been long gone. PIS claimed to have sold many Gen III kits but so far I have yet to hear from any of them. There are several older 10KW kit owners in the forum but they're Gen II Prius.

I talked with Kiet at green drive expo 11 at SF last September. According to him, they have issues with getting pass the 45mph barrier without using gas to fire up the ICE to get the engine turning. But he said that once the ICE fires up, you can ease off the gas pedal so the gas shuts off and continue to accelerate slowly in stealth mode.
    Adding the PIS kit is not going to turn your Prius into an electric car. I personally wouldn't drive it solely on electric. It puts a lot of strain on the electric motor and the inverter.
    I'm still waiting for feedbacks from other owners as well. I PMed kiet for a test drive on his Gen II but he never replied back.

2 people like this.
  3. stripedrex

stripedrex Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you so much for the response. PIS does take credit card which makes me more apt to working with them. I have a suspicion a majority of PIS clients are local and have some kind of word of mouth growth. Things sure would be easier if I were local. I also tried to reach out to Kiet through linked in =). Seems like a sharp guy and source to most of the innovations and would have loved to get his input. Looks like he's parted ways with PIS for a career and would love from feedback from him. Kiet if you're reading this feedback would be awesome =).

I'm ok with the ICE going on now and again during higher speeds. Overall I know I can get more for my commutes to work (6-8 miles local roads) with PIS than an engineer system. For the mostly electric driving taxing the motor doesn't the plugin prius use the same MG2? From what I'm reading electric motors overall are pretty good at long term abuse. Man if it truly can handle the load the ICE should last for a loooooong time. I don't have a prius yet on the market for a white 2010 used after I sell my wifes car then hopefully I'm convinced to take the risk to get the kit and will definitely provide a detailed review of it here.

4. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Stripedrex,
    I am a Gen II owner and I have recently ordered the PIS 4kw DIY kit. I have done much research and I decided that the PIS is the best system for me. My commute is also 6 miles one way. My goal is 100+mpgs consistently after installing the kit.

The process of getting all the stuff is slow so far. I ordered the kit 2 weeks ago and I'm told I will have all the stuff in 3 weeks. I was told at the beginning it would take 5-6 weeks to get everything so, I'm just being patient. My plan is to start a thread in the "Gen II Prius Plug In PHEV Modifications" forum documenting my install and results.

I know you have a Gen III but they are very similiar and I'm guessing the process and results would be similiar. If you're interested, check the above mentioned forum periodically for my thread.

2 people like this.
  5. stripedrex

stripedrex Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    usnavystgc,

Thank you for the reply! Please keep us posted on your progress and when the full kit comes in. Hopefully our combined efforts will help others on the fence. For anyone interested (you're post encouraged me to research this cproaudio) watch this video at about 10 minutes in (or the whole thing if you want to fully understand how synergy drive works):

The reason the ICE motor needs to continue to run at higher speeds is because synergy is a 2 electric motor and 1 internal combustion engine. MG1 (motor generator 1) rotates 2.6 times FASTER than MG2 during all electric operation which is why it's limited to lower speed stock with the internal combustion engine (ICE) off! It will spin TOO fast thus potentially damaging MG1 at higher velocity. Watching the 10kw video on PIS site you'll see Kiet say they need to spin the ICE so not to damage MG1. Again thank you cproaudio for your advice I will minimize my all electric mode at high speeds to maintain longevity on MG1. However my commutes (average speeds around 40 in local roads) are when I'll go EV. That being said I really think there's a lot more value in the 4kw package for most people. First off it's 100lbs as opposed to 300lbs and I would be wary running EV mode for long periods with the 10k and in blended mode it'll be a lot harder to get a return on investment on the 10kw. I'd imagine even the weight reduces it's roi not to mention the performance impact with the weight.

1 person likes this.
  6. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Well stripedrex, it doesn't look like I'll be starting my thread after all. I still have not received the kit and don't believe I ever will. It has been 10+ weeks since I ordered it and I have only received the batteries. On 4/20, I was told my money would be refunded but that has since been rescinded. It looks like I've been taken to the tune of ~$5000 :(. I will keep you updated if anything changes but, I'm not holding my breath.

7. cproaudio

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    How did you pay for it? Maybe you can open a dispute with credit card company.

1 person likes this.
  8. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I paid for it with a bank draft/cashier's check.

9. d2mini

d2mini Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Can you call your bank and cancel the cashier's check?

10. cproaudio

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It's too late, once the cashiers check is cashed, it's done.

11. danielizzle

danielizzle Eco Swag

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four

not true, You can go to your bank and place a stop payment.

12. cproaudio

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    How are you gonna stop payment on a cashier's check that has been cashed in February?

13. danielizzle

danielizzle Eco Swag

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I thought you just sent it, my bad.

14. GSW

GSW PRIUS POWER

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

Sorry to hear that usnavystgc I hope you can get your money back. I think alot of DIYer's wanted to see how the kit might have turned out.

15. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I hear you GSW. I was really excited about getting the kit and I really wanted to give anyone thinking about this an honest evaluation of my experience. I also hope I can get my money back but, there isn't much I can do besides hope PIS will take the high road and do the right thing. Other than that, I'm just trying to get the word out so others won't suffer the same fate.

16. shane1800

shane1800 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You receive your refund?

17. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hey Shane,
    No, unfortunately I only received a partial refund. I filed a complaint with BBB and I got about $2700 back. POS (I mean PIS) would not refund me for the batteries so they are sitting in my garage. I tried to sell them on ebay but very few takers (I only sold 5).
    Now I'm using 16 of them on my ebike and the other 55 are still in the original packing on a shelf. I check them periodically to ensure they're not losing charge. It is my intention to build another ebike and keep trying to sell the rest.
    It is a sad situation due to terrible business practices of PIS. I would never do business like that. I would never recommend them to anyone and it would be my advice to anyone to steer clear of them.
    Their website continues to falsely claim 70mph in all electric mode.

I've said it b4 and I'll say it again BUYER BEWARE!!!! and NOT RECOMMENDED!!!!!!

Unlimited_MPG likes this.
  18. ElectronFlux

ElectronFlux Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I was thinking about getting one of those systems for my Prius since my commute is about 20 miles round-trip and I could charge at work. Now I'll just wait a few years and get a more improved PIP from Toyota. Sorry you had to go through all that usnavystgc :(

usnavystgc likes this.
  19. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Sounds like a great plan to me ElectronFlux.

20. Longevity

Longevity New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    usnavy,

I have been following your ordeal and just decided to join the chat room.

Could you private message me and we can talk about your batteries?

Thanks.