1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

General rule on 12V battery life

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by exmetrodriver, Sep 3, 2014.

1. exmetrodriver

exmetrodriver Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So what is the general rule on the life of the 12V battery? Do most of you change it at 4 years or just wait till it dies? How much warning will you get when one is starting to go bad? I would hate to be out of town and have one go bad when I could have taken care of it at home.

2. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    All I know, is that IF mine hasn't officially gone bad in 4 years, I plan to replace it then anyway.

Some may say this is wasteful, IF there is much life left, but given the burden/responsibilities placed on a Prius 12 volt, and the subsequent problems that can develop if it dies and as it dies?

Well, I'm not going to worry too much about it for 3 1/2 years...but I'll replace it past 4.

I don't know how much warning it might give you or not. But I do know that whenever anyone posts almost any weird behaviors or problems arising in their Prius, the chorus starts singing "Replace or Check The 12 volt!". So I think it is likely you would get some warning.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would say most wait for it to die. there aren't many stories here about people getting stranded, it's usually odd things happening, but the car is drivable. 4 years isn't a bad strategy, if you prefer convenience to expense. one thing to keep in mind, running the battery down by leaving a light on/door open/car sitting for a long time, can greatly reduce the life, and we don't know how many battery stories involve that. and some are already partially bad when purchased because the dealers don't understand the prius 12v is susceptible to these things.

4. FazilHussein

FazilHussein Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You'll save yourself at lot of headaches and diagnosis time if you a) check it once a month and b) replace it every five years.

I had no warning when mine let go. Middle of last February we were grocery shopping; went to start the car and it powered up and shutdown down right away. Tried again, same thing. Waited 5 minutes, tried again and this time it started. Got home ASAP, checked the battery...10.9V and dropping.

Car down for a week while waiting for the battery to be shipped and then had to freeze my rear in -15C for two hours getting it replaced.

Now, on the flip side it was original...so i got 8 years out of it. Next one will be on the 5 year anniversary. For the couple hundred bucks, you'll save yourself being stranded.

Faz

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I literally heard Clint Eastwood saying "Are you feeling lucky?" when reading the title. Treat it like any other expendable, elect a time to replace it based on your research, and just do it. What interval? Four years, five years? Depending on how lucky you're feeling. ;)

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    punk.;)

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    It will last 4 to 8 years unless you drain it, then it is done. I never hear stories about the orginal battery surviving being run all the way down.

I do not plan to preemptively change mine, but it never gets cold here.

8. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There is some leeway depending on how often you use the car. Sulfation and cycle limits are the main determinants of 12V battery life. I keep my 12V battery on a pulsing type (desulfating) battery tender, as my use is infrequent. It can last much longer than 4 years in that case.

9. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I changed my OEM in May of this year after 4 years, 10 months (I went with the Optima Yellow Top.) I just treat it like any other preventative maintenance - better sooner than suffer the consequences.

10. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    With the Prius, 90%+ of the no-start incidents which are reported can be attributed to a bad 12V battery, so it makes sense to me to be proactive about replacing the battery.

I would recommend that most owners replace the 12V battery at 4 year intervals if you live in an area with winter snow and don't drive the car very much, like 10K miles annually or less. If you live in an area with mild climate and/or log many more annual miles, or at least use a charger monthly to keep the 12V battery charged up, then 6 year intervals would be OK. This advice assumes that you would like to minimize the likelihood of a no-start incident.

How much warning: if you are alert, you will notice that the cabin lighting is getting dim when you get into the car, which shows the battery voltage is dropping. Not many owners are sufficiently aware to notice this, though, so you should assume in general that you will not have any advance notice of an impending battery failure.

The answer to this question also depends upon if you are the sort of person who can think ahead, anticipate a potential problem and deal with it before it becomes a real problem, or if you think that bad things which happen to you are just a matter of fate - like being stuck on the side of the road at an inopportune time.

#10 Patrick Wong, Sep 4, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  11. exmetrodriver

exmetrodriver Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Does anyone have a pic of the stock battery that shows the manufacture date and how to read it? I'm going to pull it this weekend and I'm not sure if it's the original, or newer. If it's the original then it's still working strong after 9 years.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there are pics here and there. the code is a simple 6 digit dd/mm/yy or something that will make sense to you.

13. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    What does getting cold have to do with it ?

14. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I was reading FazilHussein's post where he changes his battery in-15C weather

SageBrush likes this.
  15. Beachnut

Beachnut Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I figured the safest way to deal with this 12vdc battery "problem" was just to buy and install a "Battery Prog Brain T1" unit from Amazon. It protects the battery from discharging below 11.8 vdc by disconnecting the battery from the car if the battery goes below that set voltage. So if you leave a door open, leave a light on, or park at an airport for too long, it disconnects the battery from the car, at 11.8vdc. All you have to do to get going again is press the reset button on the unit, (attached to the battery), to reconnect it to the "reserve power" that remains in the battery to start the car. It monitors the battery voltage for you, all the time so it will also let you know if your battery is getting too old, and weak so no need to check it with a volt ohm meter. I guess my question is, if it disconnects your battery, say at an airport, I guess you would use the manual emergency key to unlock the car, press the button to reconnect to the reserve power, but would this reset any of the Prius electronics, or cause any problems?
    [​IMG]

SageBrush likes this.
  16. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    OEM Battery.JPG

Not 100% percent sure how to read the code. Patrick Wong has answered that question though in other post's here on PC.

Ron

17. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I believe the worst that could happen is you would lose your presets like nav addresses, trip odometer readings, clock settings, auto window up, and some miscellaneous stuff that the ECU's record as you are driving. IMO, it would be no different than disconnecting and reconnecting the 12 volt when you change the battery.

Ron

18. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I"ll go with January 6, 2013.

19. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I'm changing mine when you do. If it has not gone bad in 4 years then when it gets to the 4 year mark I'm putting a new one in. Nothing like having piece of mind.

20. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    June 1, 2013 since the code is DDMMYY

dorunron likes this.