1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

GenIII Prius Custom PIDs for Torque app

Discussion in 'OBDII Android App' started by usbseawolf2000, Oct 7, 2011.

1. RamAirDave

RamAirDave Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    OK, so I tried it on my Phone and it worked fine. For some reason the tablet didnt want to play nice. I guess its probably the .zip file decoder I was using. Used a different one and it worked like a champ. Also disabled the seat belt beeps.

Very helpful and good info here , much appreciated!
    Dave

2. Michael Cline

Michael Cline Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm not able to unzip the archive, it claims to be corrupt. Can someone verify they are able to unzip, or would it be possible to repost the archive?

Thanks,
    Michael

3. Jay C

Jay C Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Michael, I was just able to d/l, unzip, and open the CSV file in Excel. My ODBII adapter is enroute from AH Design so I'll get to play soon too.

4. Madduck

Madduck New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I bought a $15 bluetooth adapter from Amazon and it connected with my old Droid X no problem. I am excited to try out the full version of Torque and see what kind of information I can get. Thanks to all that have worked on the PID!

markabele likes this.
  5. Jay C

Jay C Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Ok, I received the BT ODBII device from AH Designs on Friday. I had already bought and installed Torque Pro on my Nexus 7. I was trying to follow the steps usbseawolf2000 gave, but Windows 7 would not display a .torque directory.

What I ended up doing was:
    • I copied the zip file contents to the root directory of the Nexus 7
    • I downloaded a free file manager app
    • Using the file manager I copied the .csv file to the .torque/extendedpids
    • To turn off the back up beep, I had to create a new PID, it did not import with all the others
    Now, does anyone have a suggested list of PIDs they like to monitor the most? The entire list is overwhelming, so I plan to make a subset instead.

Madduck likes this.
  6. briank101

briank101 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Has anyone had success in obtaining real-time BSFC (engine efficiency) in Torque (or any other application) utilizing the data from fuel consumption and engine power. I think if a single gauge of overall calculated system efficiency (derived from BSFC and drive-train efficiency) could be displayed it would be a winner not to mention safer.

7. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    What I found on my 2009 gen 2 Prius is that the engine efficiency is pretty much constant around 30%, independent of RPM, as long as the engine is working, not just idling. I imagine gen 3 would be the same if not better. So the real question is not whether nor how hard to pulse, but rather when to pulse (for pulse and glide). For example it's usually better to pulse uphill and glide downhill.

8. GasperG

GasperG Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I came to the same conclusion. You can log engine torque, rpm, and fuel flow and then just calculate BSFC in a spreadsheet. Yo will find out that data is not so consistent, I got values from 210 - 260 g/kWh no mater the rpm, the problem is that one value can lag for several seconds or is not so precise, I don't exactly know what it is.

Just read what others are doing in practice, and pulse so that your speed will not fluctuate much. Use terrain, traffic, speed limits in your benefit and don't use the brakes.

9. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    We should be able to do a BSFC virtual PID.

10. briank101

briank101 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    USB: Do you know when Torque has gauges for both GPH and HP on the same active screen, can a custom 3rd gauge on the same screen use both of these values to perform a real-time calculation to produce the BSFC guage? I've noticed that when gauges are not on the active screen that they are apparently not updating values from the ECU.
    Also I've think the HP value is derived from the g sensors, car weight, and speed as it seems to only shows when accelerating, so that won't be too helpful for BSFC in steady state cruising.

11. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yes, you can do a virtual PID from two existing PIDs. See the example below. GPH, Engine Speed_7E0 and Actual Engine Torque (lbs-ft) do not need to be on the screen.

I am multiplying GPH by 3600 to get "gallon per second" -- close enough for instantaneous consumption(?). Then dividing it by the engine horsepower, to get "gallon per horsepower".

If your OBDII adaptor can read 30 PID/sec, you may want to do 3600 * 30 to get accurate instantaneous consumption.

PID:
    Name: BSFC (Gal/HP)
    Equation: (VAL{GPH}/3600) / (VAL{Engine Speed_7E0}*VAL{Actual Engine Torque}/5252)
    Unit: Gal/HP

hybridbear likes this.
  12. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Which PID are you using for the fuel flow? What's the equation do you use in the spreadsheet?

I can give you a virtual PID so Torque can do it for you in realtime.

13. briank101

briank101 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank so much, I'm going to try this. Now I suppose because the Torque and GPH are not captured at the exact same instant in time, this may only be more accurate in steady state conditions??? Do you know if there is a way to ensure the Actual Engine Torque PID to be read immediately (1/30 sec) before the GPH PID or could it happen they are read up to 2 seconds apart if one has 60 PIDs being read at 30 PID/sec? Maybe a case can be made for having a slight delay between the readings as there may be a natural time lag between the injector duty cycle increasing before the torque and rpms increasing. I have a $25 OBD BT device, so I don't know how many PID/sec I'm getting.

Of course if this works, the next step is a "System efficiency" gauge (inverse of BSFC combined with an equation that approximates transmission efficiency, perhaps a simple one at first using RPM and wheel speed PIDs) along with subtracting off the electrical power draw (A/C draw, charging HV) resulting in a simple higher number is better efficiency gauge.

14. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Both the Engine Speed_7E0 and Actual Engine Torque PIDs are from 7E0 (the same computer). I am not sure where GPH is from as it is a built-in PID with Torque app. The lag/delay difference should be less than a second.

You can run a test in Torque app to get your PID/sec. I think it is in the OBDII Adaptor screen.

Edit: 7E0 also report "MAF" and "Air-Fuel Ratio". We should be able to derive the actual fuel from knowing air-fuel ratio and the air mass per second. Can you provide a log with those two PIDs and the gas engine rpm and torque? We should be able to come up with an equation.

P.S: Since I don't use gas in the weekday with my PiP, I won't be a good candidate to collect data.

15. briank101

briank101 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My first attempt trying this at lunch today didn't work too well. I added the gauges for each, but the value was either 0.00 or showing a hyphen. I think it's because I didn't put in the correct spacing before/after the * and / operations. I left the PID field as "" Here's what I have for the new entries in the .csv file below. Please advise what I'm doing wrong.

"BSFC1 (Gal/HP)","BSFC (Gal/HP)","","(VAL{GPH}*100) / (VAL{Engine Speed_7E0}*VAL{Actual Engine Torque}/5252)","0","200","Gal/HP","7E0"

"HP BK","HP BK","","(VAL{Engine Speed_7E0}*VAL{Actual Engine Torque}/5252)","0","134","HP","7E0"

NOte: To not have a micro value number for BSFC, I modifed the equation to give larger number.

16. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The Header (the last field) should be blank. Try like this.

"BSFC (Gal/HP)","BSFC","","(VAL{GPH}*100) / (VAL{Engine Speed_7E0}*VAL{Actual Engine Torque}/5252)","0","200","Gal/HP",""

Also make sure you have these three PIDs (GPH, Engine Speed_7E0, and Actual Engine Torque) can display individually and the names are exactly the same. If not, adjust the name accordingly in the {}.

Does it show the gas engine horsepower? It should work. If it works, try this alternative:

"BSFC2 (Gal/HP)","BSFC2","","VAL{GPH} * 100 / VAL{HP BK}","0","200","Gal/HP",""

17. briank101

briank101 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So I got a step closer on the commute home. Got the HP from Actual Engine Torque and Engine Speed working (took the _7E0 off the end) I used "MAF" without the air/fuel ratio just to get me going as fuel rate would be a function of this with air/fuel ratio hopefully fairly constant 14.7. It was interesting to see in real-time (about 1 update/sec) the HP to fuel rate ratio values being lowest corresponding to 10% into the ICE on region in the HSI all the way to the right end of the PWR area. As expected, it showed efficiency clearly dropping off (BSFC getting higher) by being too light or too heavy on the gas pedal, although I would like to add in the air/fuel ratio into the equation just to be more confident in the output. Now if it could update a little faster update rate, do i just reduce the number of gauges, I have about 20 on my tablet right now, or do I strip down the unnecessary entries in the csv file? I just got my first tablet (Hisense Pro 7") last week and first app I purchased was Torque, I figured this was a better deal than getting a Scangauge.

hybridbear likes this.
  18. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Reduce the gauges on the screen to speed up the refresh rate.

hybridbear likes this.
  19. briank101

briank101 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So I incorporated VAL{Fuel flow rate} into the equation along with a constant to give me a real-time BSFC value averaging 220 while cruising. However when not in a steady power/speed, it bounces around a lot, I'm finding the HSI or iMPG to more useful in such circumstances, possibly because the car ECU calculates their values much faster than the OBDII bluetooth stream speed.

One separate thing I'm wondering about, is that Torque displays an air/fuel ratio of about 14 most of the time and not 14.7 as I thought it would. Does the Prius run slightly rich for some reason?

20. GasperG

GasperG Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Sorry for the late response, I have been on vacation.

I used built in fuel flow PID in cc/min, I don't know how accurate that is, checking option to calculate enhanced MPG may be good.

I caculated BSFC (g/kWh) with formula:
    = (Fuel_flow/1000 * 60 * 750) / ((Actual_Engine_Torque(Nm) * 2 * 3.14159 * Engine_Speed(rpm)) / 60000)