1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Getting that new Prius smell back

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by JB88, Jul 9, 2014.

1. JB88

JB88 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I've had my Prius for about a year and keep sports officiating equipment in the back. I find it hard to keep the car smelling pleasant.

Does anyone have any recommendations for car fresheners? I'm not one for something tacky hanging from the rearvew.

Appreciate your suggestions!

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Open all the doors and hatch and have at it with a leaf blower?

I sometimes do that as a final step after vacuuming out the interior. Especially when I've started noticing a cobweb or two.

Also, do you use AC a lot? Could be something growing in the ducts/tubes, there's a lot of moisture in there when it's been running.

3. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Are you surprised that if you put and keep stinky stuff in your car that it smells bad?
    I doubt that there is a product strong enough to "remove" all those odors.
    I'd try removing them and/or sealing in bags.

Mike

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    2 easy ways to tackle this problem.

1. Get a "hanging tree" type of freshener, but put it inside where your cabin filter is located. Make sure it's held between the filter and the filter housing....that way you get fresh air without anything hanging.

2. They now make air freshener clip on devices for your air vents. Febreeze has them, Costco has another type, simple and effective.

5. sprtent

sprtent Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In my previous car I securely placed a cut-open-top baking soda powder box in the trunk.

If your 13's Four has Solar, I think it would also help to use the baking soda type of carbin air filter.

6. DrPepperholik

DrPepperholik Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  7. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I assume you're talking about mask, vest, shoes, etc.? Do you wipe them down with Lysol wipes (or something like that) after each game? Do you leave them in the car over night? If you do, I suggest you add a tray of baking soda, maybe in a Tupperware container with holes punched in the top. Do you just put the stuff in the back or do you put them in a closed storage bin with an air freshener clipped/taped to the top?

JC91006 likes this.
  8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Closed storage bin....what a great idea!

9. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Just don't forget some baking soda or something to keep them from reeking before you take them out. Of course, if they're just in there for the ride home after the games, probably not needed. My daughter has boys who play baseball and their equipment is really odorous after a tournament. All the stuff is in ball bags, so the small still permeates into her trunk. :)

10. ibmoses

ibmoses Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Fabric softener sheets like you put in clothes dryer, try it.

11. Jon Hagen

Jon Hagen Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Hanging from the mirror of my 10 Prius is a little blue pine tree shaped air freshener labeled "New car smell".
    It's pretty close. ;-)

12. priusdonkey

priusdonkey Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    chemical guy's makes a spray. i believer i have watermelon they also have stripper (pole) scent?. lasts about 2 weeks and the bottle will probably last 10 years.

13. Stratman

Stratman Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I find that my cars tend to spiral downhill (odors and over all junkie ness) by letting things, in general, accumulate in it. I coached soccer for years and was able to keep my gear stored in the trunk. With my Prius being a hatchback I no longer have this luxury. I take my gym bag out, and most everything else, at the end of the day. It also makes it easier to shake everything that tends to collect on the floor mats that add to the dank smell.

Another thing. Occasionally wipe the dash down with a cloth dampened with lemon Pledge. You can keep one sealed in a ziplock Baggie in the glove box. I use it on everything most would use armour all. Not nearly as slick and shiny. I use it on everything from CV joint boots, dust boots on bolts that hold disc brake calipers on, guitar fretboards, amp coverings, anything rubber, plastic or vinyl.

14. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I use Ozium Air Sanitizer spray.

It's available almost everywhere.

What I like about it, is it works #1, and more over, it's a fine, fine mist, so when you spray it you don't feel it is floating down on everything.

15. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ... if you like your sweaty stuff to turn moldy and mildewy and even more icky, at least in my climate.

Removing the stuff from the car each evening, and airing it out somewhere, is almost essential here.

16. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    In the time it takes to drive home? Even my grandsons know to take the stuff out of their ball bags when they get home and clean it before they use it again. :) We're not talking about storage, we're talking about getting the equipment home without the odors messing up the car.

17. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No, I believe OP and others are talking about storing these things inside the car. If the sweaty items were removed nightly, I doubt there would be a problem.

18. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Tell that to my daughter and the boys' baseball gear (catchers) that only stays in the car for the ride home. But, you're point is taken. I would not store any gear in the car, much less in a closed container, without something inside to avoid mold, mildew, etc.

19. priusdonkey

priusdonkey Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    i have seen small cargo boxes that attach to the tow hitch. I have a receiver hitch for my bicycles, but i know they make aluminum boxes for the receiver hitches. harbor freight sells an aluminum one.

20. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If wonder if the OP has tried any of the suggestions that have been offered?