1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

GM's Volt Battery Reuse Demo

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by El Dobro, Nov 17, 2012.

1. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
  2. R-P

R-P Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Quite interesting...:cool:

I am contemplating going off the grid in a country that has one of the best, most reliable electrical supply system in the world... Purely due to cost. Even if my solarpanels would supply everything I use in a year, just being connected still costs me >500$ a year...

3. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  4. CAlbertson

CAlbertson Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    I've been thinking about a business plan for the future when these used EV batteries are common and cheap. Buy a big warehouse in a cheap rural location that is also near a power substation. Then fill the warehouse with these used batteries and buy power at night, sell it back during peak demand times. This could work in a place like Phenix AZ or Florida where there are huge air-conditioning loads in the day and way-cheap power at night. But you'd need a supply of batteries.

Actually anyone could do this at there home it you have a smart meter. If you already have a grid-tie solar system, hooking up a used EV battery is almost a no-brainer because you would already own an inverter that is not being used at night.

5. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    One big issue you'd need to address is the difference in battery temperature management. The Volt and some others utilize coolant in their thermal management system while others use air.

6. rayMOO

rayMOO Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    i'Ve got a tsm tire sensor lit up on my dash and cannot get it to away,. I tried the re-set button to no avail. Is there a trick to put this light out . don't really need it. help me please

7. rayMOO

rayMOO Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    yes I turned on the power , hold in the button till tire blinks 3 times then release and leave power on for 20 mins. turned off the power then turned on power and the light is still there.

8. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I think you've got the wrong thread.